Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lack of Canon 70-200 2.8 IS

Lack of Canon 70-200 2.8 IS

This old Bob

"Måns Rullgård" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "This old Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> "Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again...
>>>

>> Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
>> non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
>> discount it much if you do decide to sell.

> Stop complaining. You haven't seen the prices they charge over here
> in the UK, have you?

Um, Wow, I just did! $875 for the Canon 70-200 /f4 at Jessops. Yikes!

Dave

The few used ones that have been posted for auction have been sold for
nearly as much as a brand new one if you bought it directly from an
authorized Canon dealer. Add in any rebates (back in Dec-Jan) and the
$1,684.00 price I paid got a little lower.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay than
> usual at the moment?
>
> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

Paul J Gans

M?ns Rullg?rd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>J?rn Dahl-Stamnes <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:

>>> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them
>>> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

>> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again...

>If they came out with an f/4 IS version, I'd consider selling the f/4
>to get that instead.

Yup. That seems like a natural. I wonder why Canon doesn't
do it. The only reason I can think of is that it would likely
destroy sales of the f/2.8 since many folks don't really need
that extra stop -- especially with IS.

----- Paul J. Gans

Paul J Gans

M?ns Rullg?rd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"This old Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> "J?rn Dahl-Stamnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again...
>>>

>> Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
>> non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
>> discount it much if you do decide to sell.

>Stop complaining. You haven't seen the prices they charge over here
>in the UK, have you?

I don't know. Haven't checked European prices. But if the
price differential gets to be great enough, come to New York
and buy one here. Currently about $1850 US at B&H (I've included
the sales tax in the price. Base price is $1700 US.)

----- Paul J. Gans

Mark²

David wrote:
> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
> than usual at the moment?
>
> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

One should look for scarcity at **retail stores** for signs of
replacement...not used sources.

A lack of *used* lenses (at least in the case of large production lenses)
typically means that people who own the lens are not keen on giving it up.

Of all the lenses I own, my 70-200 2.8 IS is the LAST one I'd give up.
There is simply no other Canon lens mount offering that rivals it in its
zoom range and abilities.

-Mark²

Mark²

This old Bob wrote:
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
>> than usual at the moment?
>>
>> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

> If it was being replaced you would see a lot on ebay, wouldn't you?
>
> You think that one is hard to find, try finding an EF 300mm f/2.8
> non-IS for $2100. It took me a year.

Curious... Why were you set on the *non* IS version vs. the IS?

Price?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

This old Bob wrote:

> "Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them
>>> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

>> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again...
>>

> Yeah, and if you are like me you bought it new from a local dealer at a
> non-discount price and also paid California tax, you are not going to
> discount it much if you do decide to sell.

Price is (almost) not an issue... if I *WANT* a lens i buy it!
--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/

Frank ess wrote:

> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
>> Måns Rullgård wrote:

>>> I guess those lenses are so good that people want to keep them
>>> I'm sure not selling mine soon.

>> Agree. If you first got a hand on one, you never let it go again...
>>

> It's true. I'm thinking about getting a 30D for mine. It deserves its
> own pet.

Already got a 30D for my 70-200 2.8 L IS USM...

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/

Andrew

That's class! )

"Frank ess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> It's true. I'm thinking about getting a 30D for mine. It deserves its
> own pet.
>
> --
> Frank ess

This old Bob

> This old Bob wrote:
>> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is it me, or are there much fewer Canon 70-200 2.8 IS lenses on Ebay
>>> than usual at the moment?
>>>
>>> Only 5 years old, but is it being replaced or something?

>> If it was being replaced you would see a lot on ebay, wouldn't you?
>>
>> You think that one is hard to find, try finding an EF 300mm f/2.8
>> non-IS for $2100. It took me a year.

> Curious... Why were you set on the *non* IS version vs. the IS?
>
> Price?

Yes, it was price. Probably a dumb move because the non-IS is so darn heavy.
At the time I couldn't justify the extra $1300 for IS version because I
wasn't sure how good this lens was. Now that I've had it for nearly two
years I never want to take it off my camera. Lighter and IS would be nice.

Canon S2 IS: lack of bulb exposure setting sparky57 Digital Photography 5 08-27-2006 01:19 AM
A lack of ethernet modules from Cisco dexx Cisco 2 10-06-2005 02:28 PM
Lack of sharpness with Canon Alan McGrath Digital Photography 9 05-16-2005 10:42 PM
Lack of Support Stephen Boursy Firefox 4 03-11-2005 04:37 PM
Re: Entire 8xx series lack "backup interface"? Aaron Leonard Cisco 5 10-21-2003 09:54 PM

Advertisments