Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Want to use ufraw and gimp

Want to use ufraw and gimp

dmedhora@gmail.com

>Yep. So you do the manipulations that would overflow 8-bit arithmetic
>in 16-bit mode and then dump into the GIMP for whatever's left. The
>GIMP needs to have the 48-bit color and CMS stuff from its offshoot
>CinePaint ported back.

So does that mean that you'd lose some information when dumping it
into GIMP after the plugin does its things using 16 bit ?

Thanks

Paul Allen

>> Yep. So you do the manipulations that would overflow 8-bit arithmetic
>> in 16-bit mode and then dump into the GIMP for whatever's left. The
>> GIMP needs to have the 48-bit color and CMS stuff from its offshoot
>> CinePaint ported back.

> So does that mean that you'd lose some information when dumping it
> into GIMP after the plugin does its things using 16 bit ?

Probably. The same thing would happen if you output directly to a
high-quality JPEG. The point is to avoid 8-bit arithmetic as much
as possible before going to your final form. At least, that's my
understanding. Somebody will probably correct me if I'm totally
wrong.

Paul Allen