Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 'archival' inkjet fading

'archival' inkjet fading

billyboy

hi everyone

i just attended a workshop on digital printing in which densitometer
measured evidence of significant fading of the original PiezographyBW
inkset was demonstrated. i'm having trouble finding the test results
for these inks, done i believe by wilhelm research.

does anyone know how to find the ratings of the original piezography
inkset? the wilhelm site sucks.

has anyone noticed fading of the piezography inksets?

thanks

tomm42

billyboy wrote:
> hi everyone
>
> i just attended a workshop on digital printing in which densitometer
> measured evidence of significant fading of the original PiezographyBW
> inkset was demonstrated. i'm having trouble finding the test results
> for these inks, done i believe by wilhelm research.
>
> does anyone know how to find the ratings of the original piezography
> inkset? the wilhelm site sucks.
>
> has anyone noticed fading of the piezography inksets?
>
> thanks

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/ is the site, you'll have to go through
it to see if you can find the information you need.
If you read articles by Wilhelm you will find out that the archival
nature of prints is based on a lot of things. Ink, paper, ambient
light, framing, and atmospheric conditions just being a few. The bad
part is they are all intertwined. Certain inks can only be used on
certain papers is one truism, some archival papers that do not have
coatings (it was a big thig several years ago to print on "pure"
uncoated papers) keep absorbing the ink and over time the image
degrades and the density appears to fade. Or inks can just be
incompatible with certain papers. Happened to me a couple of years ago,
a highly touted paper stock, prints looked nice off the printer, two
weeks later the black was gone, turned green. I was printing with dye
inks because I could get a better black at the time. I found papers
that gave me long lasting prints and ones that were here today gone
tomorrow. I suspect that with the pieziographic ink set, especially
early usage the paper requirements were not set out, and that was the
problem, or someone used and uncoated paper.

Tom

Fading of Inkjet digital prints Mac Lynch Digital Photography 15 03-23-2007 04:52 PM
Fading away button click on tree node... Michael Java 1 12-23-2003 07:43 AM
Fading colours with CSS bjg HTML 18 12-12-2003 07:48 AM
[Wilhelm] Paper on estimating gas fading in inkjet prints Stanley Krute Digital Photography 0 11-21-2003 09:12 PM
Fading Frame Contents az bij HTML 6 10-22-2003 11:17 PM

Advertisments