Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > when 8 frames/sec doesn't seem like enough

when 8 frames/sec doesn't seem like enough

Bill Hilton

These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
faster camera

http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm

Also some good bird pics and the cheetah-on-the-roof was pretty
exciting, especially when he slipped, but in general we struggled with
the light, which was usually too overcast early and then too harsh
later when the sun burned thru the clouds during the "rainy season".

Bill

[BnH]

Maybe you need a Canon product that is called .. XL2s

=bob=

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
> faster camera

John McWilliams

Bill Hilton wrote:
> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
> faster camera
>
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm
>
> Also some good bird pics and the cheetah-on-the-roof was pretty
> exciting, especially when he slipped, but in general we struggled with
> the light, which was usually too overcast early and then too harsh
> later when the sun burned thru the clouds during the "rainy season".

OMG! Just reading the narrative along with the pix rose the hair on the
back of my neck. Superb.

Thanks for posting those.

--
john mcwilliams

js

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
> kisser.

Bill, fire those off to Natural History Magazine.

js

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
news:444f881e$0$30707$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe you need a Canon product that is called .. XL2s

I use an XL-1 on the day-job and it definitely cannot capture anything like
that with quality.

AustinMN

Bill Hilton wrote:
> We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
> especially when the buffers filled

What this really deserved was a good Imax camera. These shots and the
descriptions are excellent.

Austin

Paul Rubin

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
> faster camera
>
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm

Wow, amazing shots, good job. My Olympus E-100RS (1.3 mp, 15 fps) is
for sale if you want it, but it's not in the 1D Mk IIs class except
for the frame rate .

Someone mentioned the XL-2S, which is regular DV25, but I wonder how
something like an HDR-FX1 would compare.

John McWilliams

AustinMN wrote:
> Bill Hilton wrote:
>> We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
>> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
>> especially when the buffers filled

> What this really deserved was a good Imax camera. These shots and the
> descriptions are excellent.

I suspect the weight - and cost - might be somewhat limiting.

--
John McWilliams

Daniel Silevitch

On 26 Apr 2006 07:24:28 -0700, Bill Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
> faster camera

Wow. Wonderful shots.

Here's a wild-speculation kludge for getting high frame-rates, seeing as
you have two such cameras available. The cameras can be controlled via a
computer. If (and this is a big if) the focus and shutter lags are
sufficiently consistent, it should be possible to use a single computer
to trigger two cameras in burst mode, with the frames exactly out of
phase with each other, doubling the effective frame rate.

There's a whole host of reasons why this wouldn't be a practical
solution, but it's still amusing to contemplate.

-dms

David J. Littleboy

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm