Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > when 8 frames/sec doesn't seem like enough

when 8 frames/sec doesn't seem like enough

Mark²

Bill Hilton wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's comments ... I was not very happy with the light
> on this trip (we had clouds almost every morning so didn't get the
> 'golden light' like last trip) and almost didn't post any pics except
> for viewing by family and people like Roger and Don who are talking
> about joining us next year, so it was gratifying to hear that people
> liked the lion shots ... be sure to check out the
> 'cheetah-on-the-roof' shots if you have time (you'll also see what I
> meant about the harsh light, even though it was an exciting moment).

I did notice that the light was a bit harsh, but the intensity of the moment
you've captured elevates these images to a point where that flaw is far less
distracting. Had these been "lion portraits," the light would be a big
deal. Here, you've got action that survives the flaw.

Mark²

PS--If you go to Alaska again...I'd take you up on a similar offer to last
summer.
(I'd have gone for sure if your time-line had been even a single week
later...

Mark²

jean wrote:
> Superb pictures, now honestly, how many pictures did you and your
> wife take on that trip?

That's an illegal question.

> Jean
>
> "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
>> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
>> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
>> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
>> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
>> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
>> faster camera
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm
>>
>> Also some good bird pics and the cheetah-on-the-roof was pretty
>> exciting, especially when he slipped, but in general we struggled
>> with the light, which was usually too overcast early and then too
>> harsh later when the sun burned thru the clouds during the "rainy
>> season".
>>
>> Bill

½ Confused

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> > Superb pictures, now honestly, how many pictures did you and your
> > wife take on that trip?

> That's an illegal question.

That's it... show us the night shots...

NO WAIT! On second thought... DON'T!

Jeff

jean

Not really, it must have been hell sorting through all the pictures the
results are worth the effort.

Jean

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> a écrit dans le message
de news:g7e4g.14896$Qz.10820@fed1read11...
> jean wrote:
> > Superb pictures, now honestly, how many pictures did you and your
> > wife take on that trip?

> That's an illegal question.
>

> > Jean
> >
> > "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
> >> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
> >> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
> >> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
> >> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
> >> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
> >> faster camera
> >>
> >> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm
> >>
> >> Also some good bird pics and the cheetah-on-the-roof was pretty
> >> exciting, especially when he slipped, but in general we struggled
> >> with the light, which was usually too overcast early and then too
> >> harsh later when the sun burned thru the clouds during the "rainy
> >> season".
> >>
> >> Bill

Bill Hilton

> jean writes ...
>
> now honestly, how many pictures did you and your wife take
> on that trip?

About 40 fewer than I would have liked (wish we shot another two
seconds of the lion attack when the buffers were full, and I wish my
wife had photographed the baboon that jumped into the jeep with her to
steal food .

I shot 3,414 frames with my 1D Mark II and the 500 mm lens, 946 with a
1Ds and 3 lenses (24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 300 f/4 L).
Carol shot a bit more than me with her 1D Mark II -- 3,620 plus a few
hundred more with her backup, a 10D with a 70-200 f/4 L and a 17-35
f/2.8 L. I think the Mark II's are rated for 150,000 - 200,000 shutter
actuations so we are trying to get to that mark before they are
obsolete, but despite our best efforts I don't think we'll make it.

This is for one day at Holland's Keukenhof tulip festival and 10 days
on safari so about the equivalent of 10-11 rolls of film each per day
.... I would guess a high % were of birds and we posted about 40 bird
pics (had I think 117 bird pics in the 'daily outtakes' file but cut
them down for the web). We usually were out four hours in the morning
and three hours in the afternoon in a 'target-rich environment'.

I think I probably shoot twice as many frames with digital as I did
with film, partly because we have faster motor drives (in high speed
mode it's actually tough to shoot just one frame) and partly because
it's basically free to keep shooting, so we just shoot more than some
people are used to ... so could have gotten by on 5 rolls of film per
person each day, probably.

> it must have been hell sorting through all the pictures

Only the bad ones, sorting thru the successes feels really good ...
actually we did the first level sort each day, downloading to a laptop
after a morning or PM shoot, generating previews in RSE or Capture One
and deleting about 1/3 of them, dumping a back-up to two external
drives (100 GB Wolverine, 80 GB Epson P-4000) and converting about
10-15 of the best to jpegs and dumping them into an on-going .html file
that we mailed to friends when we got back. This would only take an
hour or so as we have it pretty automated by now with Photoshop actions
to do the conversions etc.

So when we got home we culled again more aggressively (it's hard to
judge a lot of stuff on a laptop) and wrote off backups and were done,
except for making the web images and making print files of ones we hope
to exhibit or sell.

Bill

Roy G

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
> faster camera
>
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm
>
> Also some good bird pics and the cheetah-on-the-roof was pretty
> exciting, especially when he slipped, but in general we struggled with
> the light, which was usually too overcast early and then too harsh
> later when the sun burned thru the clouds during the "rainy season".
>
> Bill

WOW.

I thought your Cheetah on the roof shots were also fantastic. I liked your
commentary.

You actually got to touch (brushed against) a real live wild Cheetah. What
an experience!!

I did, as you probably also did, imagine the reaction you would get after
filling in the insurance claim form, if that Cheetah had wrecked your camera
and lens. A "What" knocked your camera off the roof of your car. Do you
really expect us to believe that!

Keep up the good work.

Roy G

Mark²

Roy G wrote:
> "Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> These lions got in a tiff over a buffalo carcass and suddenly it was
>> just a blur of fur once the female swatted the dominate male in the
>> kisser. We shot in burst mode (8 frames/sec for 20 frames with two
>> Canon 1D Mark IIs) but even that wasn't enough to catch everything,
>> especially when the buffers filled ... here's what about 2 seconds
>> worth of outtakes looks like ... at times like this I wish I had a
>> faster camera
>>
>> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...lion_fight.htm
>>
>> Also some good bird pics and the cheetah-on-the-roof was pretty
>> exciting, especially when he slipped, but in general we struggled
>> with the light, which was usually too overcast early and then too
>> harsh later when the sun burned thru the clouds during the "rainy
>> season". Bill

> WOW.
>
> I thought your Cheetah on the roof shots were also fantastic. I
> liked your commentary.
>
> You actually got to touch (brushed against) a real live wild Cheetah.
> What an experience!!
>
> I did, as you probably also did, imagine the reaction you would get
> after filling in the insurance claim form, if that Cheetah had
> wrecked your camera and lens. A "What" knocked your camera off the
> roof of your car. Do you really expect us to believe that!

All it would take is one photo.