Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D-200

D-200

JimmyG

Tons on Ebay in various configurations.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D200-Digit...QQcmdZViewItem

A reliable seller from who I've bought thousands of $$ of Nikon goodies.

--
Jimmy
Santee, CA / Lake Oswego, OR

Cynicor

JimmyG wrote:
> Tons on Ebay in various configurations.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D200-Digit...QQcmdZViewItem
>
> A reliable seller from who I've bought thousands of $$ of Nikon goodies.

Cameta is reliable, and they have a storefront a few miles from my home.

John McWilliams

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:31:52 GMT, "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I got so fed up waiting for it I went to Canon in 1992. I guess that was
>> the best move I ever made since Nikon still doesn't seem to have their act
>> together on the D200 after 14 years!

> Not that they don't have their act together, but that the initial demand
> for the D200 is much, much greater than it is for the Canon. So hard to
> ramp up a production line for an initial spurt, which won't last after the
> initial demand has been filled. Face it. Nikon has a much better name when
> it comes to high end cameras, and it sells far more. Maybe not as good a
> camera, but they command more attention.

Can you supply actual figures to prove your assertions?

--
John McWilliams

David J. Littleboy

"John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Don Wiss wrote:
>>
>> Not that they don't have their act together, but that the initial demand
>> for the D200 is much, much greater than it is for the Canon.

Exactly. See below.

>> So hard to
>> ramp up a production line for an initial spurt, which won't last after
>> the
>> initial demand has been filled.

Well, yes. But as top of the low-end Nikon line, I expect it'll have solid
sales for a long time, just not at the initial levels.

>>Face it. Nikon has a much better name when
>> it comes to high end cameras, and it sells far more. Maybe not as good a
>> camera, but they command more attention.

> Can you supply actual figures to prove your assertions?

Since Nikon had been limping along on 6MP cameras, it's quite logical that
there was a lot of pent up demand, and (at least in the Japanese market, for
which I have seen some figures) sales have been excellent. And there's a lot
of folks with a lot of Nikon glass out there from the film days.

The Canon 30D, on the other hand is a minor tweak.

No one with a current low-end Canon dSLR would see a difference with a 30D,
but everyone with a current low-end Nikon dSLR is at least interested in the
D200.

Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been killing
Nikon in that area for years.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

SMS

Bill wrote:
> Tony wrote:
>
>> I got so fed up waiting for it I went to Canon in 1992. I guess that was
>> the best move I ever made since Nikon still doesn't seem to have their act
>> together on the D200 after 14 years!

> Sheesh...I hope this isn't troll bait.
>
> there are many things about Nikon I like a lot better than Canon, even
> though I shoot with Canon gear. My friend has a D70s which I've used on
> several occasions, and I like how it works.
>
> I like Nikon gear enough to say that I recommend newbies get the Nikon
> D50 or D70s with the 18-70mm kit lense over the Canon XT or 20D with
> 18-55mm.

Too bad there is no D50 kit with the 18-70mm kit lens, but if there was
one, I'd agree that it'd be a better choice than the Rebel XT with the
kit lens.

The 20D with the 17-85 IS lens is the ideal choice. It would be nice if
Canon made a non-IS version of the 17-85mm lens to match the Nikon price
points of the D70 kit with the 18-70mm lens.

SMS

David J. Littleboy wrote:

> Since Nikon had been limping along on 6MP cameras, it's quite logical that
> there was a lot of pent up demand, and (at least in the Japanese market, for
> which I have seen some figures) sales have been excellent. And there's a lot
> of folks with a lot of Nikon glass out there from the film days.

I saw my first D200 today on my son's school field trip. No, not one of
the eight year-old kids, but one of the chaperone's who's a professional
photographer, and had been chomping at the bit for more than a year to
replace her D70. I nervously watched as she let each of the kids in her
little group take a turn using the D200. I'd be far too nervous to do
that with even my lowly 20D.

> Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been killing
> Nikon in that area for years.

Nikon has yet to introduce a high-end professional digital SLR, though
reportedly they're feverishly working on full-frame models to compete
against the Canon 1Ds and 5D.

David J. Littleboy

"SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been
>> killing Nikon in that area for years.

> Nikon has yet to introduce a high-end professional digital SLR, though
> reportedly they're feverishly working on full-frame models to compete
> against the Canon 1Ds and 5D.

D1x, D2x, DnH, and all the Kodak Nikon-mount cameras. Lots of high-end pro
dSLRs in the Nikon camp. None compete with either the 1Dmk2 or 1Dsmk2,
though.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

SMS

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Of course, the bit about high-end cameras is way off; Canon's been
>>> killing Nikon in that area for years.

>> Nikon has yet to introduce a high-end professional digital SLR, though
>> reportedly they're feverishly working on full-frame models to compete
>> against the Canon 1Ds and 5D.

> D1x, D2x, DnH, and all the Kodak Nikon-mount cameras. Lots of high-end pro
> dSLRs in the Nikon camp.

These are all professional models, but not "high-end" professional
models like the Canon 1D/1Ds Mark II.

> None compete with either the 1Dmk2 or 1Dsmk2,
> though.

That's what I was trying to say!

John McWilliams

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "John McWilliams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Don Wiss wrote:
>>> Not that they don't have their act together, but that the initial demand
>>> for the D200 is much, much greater than it is for the Canon.

> Exactly. See below.
>
>>> So hard to
>>> ramp up a production line for an initial spurt, which won't last after
>>> the
>>> initial demand has been filled.

> Well, yes. But as top of the low-end Nikon line, I expect it'll have solid
> sales for a long time, just not at the initial levels.
>
>>> Face it. Nikon has a much better name when
>>> it comes to high end cameras, and it sells far more. Maybe not as good a
>>> camera, but they command more attention.

>> Can you supply actual figures to prove your assertions?

> Since Nikon had been limping along on 6MP cameras, it's quite logical that
> there was a lot of pent up demand, and (at least in the Japanese market, for
> which I have seen some figures) sales have been excellent. And there's a lot
> of folks with a lot of Nikon glass out there from the film days.

I'm with you (and presumably Don) about the logic, but when someone
asserts that X sales beats Y sales, we need a basis other than logic,
hope or reason.

Don?
--
John McWilliams

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:19:51 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Faz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If they don't start to ship some of these models soon people are going to
>buy CANON..........any comments?????

What's the problem?

Body only:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Nikon...rch=nikon+d200