Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I'm having a problem with this newsgroup

I'm having a problem with this newsgroup

DFS

Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing normal
activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since yesterday afternoon.
WEIRD !!

I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even tried a
resubscribe.

Using outlook express.

dfs

Joseph Meehan

DFS wrote:
> Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing
> normal activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since
> yesterday afternoon. WEIRD !!
>
> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
> tried a resubscribe.
>
> Using outlook express.
>
> dfs

Well it is going to be difficult for someone to reply since it appears
you have not provided a valid e-mail and you can't read this response.

In any case I have not had any problems It is most likely as problem
with a server that is echoing messages.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Jim

"DFS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:b1s3g.2182$q%6.1749@trnddc01...
> Sorry to post a test here, but all of my other newsgroups are showing
> normal activity - yet nothing new in rec.photo.digital since yesterday
> afternoon. WEIRD !!
>
> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even tried
> a resubscribe.
>
> Using outlook express.
>
> dfs

Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
unresponsive every now and then.
Jim

ASAAR

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:

>> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
>> tried a resubscribe.
>>
>> Using outlook express.

> Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
> unresponsive every now and then.

News servers also occasionally have their message databases
compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
followed by resubscribe might work.

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:40:59 -0400, in rec.photo.digital ASAAR
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:
>
>>> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
>>> tried a resubscribe.
>>>
>>> Using outlook express.

>> Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
>> unresponsive every now and then.

> News servers also occasionally have their message databases
>compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
>new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
>newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
>do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
>doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
>followed by resubscribe might work.

One other thing you could try is a "Get all posts" in the group. Don't
know how to do that in OE, though.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

John McWilliams

ASAAR wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:
>
>>> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
>>> tried a resubscribe.
>>>
>>> Using outlook express.

>> Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
>> unresponsive every now and then.

> News servers also occasionally have their message databases
> compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
> new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
> newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
> do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
> doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
> followed by resubscribe might work.

An alternative is to download and use, say Thunderbird, at least to
check the NG, and to have a backup News client always ready.
http://www.mozilla.org/. T-bird is cross platform, $0.00.

--
John McWilliams

ASAAR

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 12:16:19 -0700, John McWilliams wrote:

> An alternative is to download and use, say Thunderbird, at least to
> check the NG, and to have a backup News client always ready.
> http://www.mozilla.org/. T-bird is cross platform, $0.00.

That would help, but then what? If the OP continued to use
Thunderbird the problem would be solved. But if he/she wanted to
get back to using OE (bleaahh) the problem would remain . . .

Having backup newsreaders/clients is a good idea, even if it's the
same one. I have at least half a dozen versions of Agent installed.
If I reconfigure any one version or upgrade it and it stops working,
it takes only seconds to tell if the fault lies with the changed
version or elsewhere. I hope Thunderbird manages newsgroups well.
I've tried using Mozilla for newsgroups and was less than impressed.
Agent isn't multi-platform, but a free version is available that
lacks a few features but still remains quite usable.

Don Dunlap

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:15:16 GMT, Jim wrote:
>
>>> I can't find anything wrong with my settings or views, and have even
>>> tried a resubscribe.
>>>
>>> Using outlook express.

>> Most likely, it is a server problem. They do get overloaded and
>> unresponsive every now and then.

> News servers also occasionally have their message databases
> compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
> new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
> newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
> do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
> doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
> followed by resubscribe might work.

Outlook Express is not a News Server.

Don

ASAAR

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 18:48:02 -0400, Don Dunlap wrote:

>> News servers also occasionally have their message databases
>> compacted and renumbered. This can cause newsreaders to fail to see
>> new message headers. I can take corrective action with Agent (my
>> newsreader), but wouldn't know how the OP should safely attempt to
>> do the same since I've never used Outlook Express. If he/she
>> doesn't mind risking the loss of old messages, an unsubscribe
>> followed by resubscribe might work.
>>

> Outlook Express is not a News Server.

True enough. It's a news client, aka a newsreader, which to be
useful should occasionally connect with a news server. Just FYI,
Agent (which I use) is also a newsreader, but you probably know that
too. In any case if Microsoft desires to satisfy any "Truth In
Advertising" requirements, their news servers should probably be
called Lookout, not Outlook.

Eric Schreiber

ASAAR wrote:

>> Outlook Express is not a News Server.

> True enough. It's a news client, aka a newsreader

And it's only that by the loosest possible definition

--
www.ericschreiber.com