Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Monitor Calibration Profile Does not stay

Monitor Calibration Profile Does not stay

Tod DeBie

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with an Nvidia 7600 GS video card and v84.21
drivers. I am using a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 and running Eye-One
Match 3.6 calibration software.

I run a calibration and it seems to go fine, resulting in a very good
looking display. The profile gets set as default in Windows and everything
seems to be fine...until I reboot. After reboot, it looks as though the
profile is not set, even though it shows as being set in the video driver
(the default windows color calibration setting). I tried removing and
re-adding it, but nothing will make it take effect. I've also tried setting
that profile into the Nvidia control panel, but that seems to make the
monitor look even worse.

What can I do to make the profile stay active?

Jimmy

"Tod DeBie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with an Nvidia 7600 GS video card and
>v84.21 drivers. I am using a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 and running
>Eye-One Match 3.6 calibration software.
>
> What can I do to make the profile stay active?

What programs are you showing in the Startup folder?

Bill Hilton

> Tod DeBie writes ...
>
>I am using a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 ...
>I run a calibration and it seems to go fine, resulting in a very
>good looking display. The profile gets set as default in
>Windows and everything seems to be fine...until I reboot.
>After reboot, it looks as though the profile is not set

First off, when you run the Eye-One the first steps "calibrate" the
monitor to a known state (white point, contrast, color, etc), then the
software "characterizes" the monitor by displaying colors, measuring
them and generating the ICM profile such that the colors appear as
accurate as possible.

So all programs benefit from the "calibration" but the only ones that
benefit from the ICM profile are the few that recognize it.

When you say "it looks as though the profile is not set" do you mean
for ALL programs, even the non-color managed ones? If so, then my
guess is that at some point earlier you ran a different calibration
program like Adobe Gamma or whatever. The monitor cal programs leave a
file in the "Start - All programs - Startup" folder that run and load
values into the LUTs of your video card when you turn on the computer.
For example with Eye One mine is called "Logo Calibration Loader" ...
if you have two of these (an old one left over from yesteryear) then
the LUT values get screwed up since they are written twice. This is
the most common problem people see.

So check your Startup folder and see if you have Gamma Loader.exe or
something like that and delete it ... if that's your problem then this
will fix it. If that doesn't do it then post again with more details
as to whether you see the problem only in color-managed apps that
recognize the ICM profile or if you see a problem in all programs.

Bill

MarkČ

Tod DeBie wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with an Nvidia 7600 GS video card and
> v84.21 drivers. I am using a Gretag Macbeth Eye-One Display 2 and
> running Eye-One Match 3.6 calibration software.
>
> I run a calibration and it seems to go fine, resulting in a very good
> looking display. The profile gets set as default in Windows and
> everything seems to be fine...until I reboot. After reboot, it looks
> as though the profile is not set, even though it shows as being set
> in the video driver (the default windows color calibration setting).
> I tried removing and re-adding it, but nothing will make it take
> effect. I've also tried setting that profile into the Nvidia control
> panel, but that seems to make the monitor look even worse.
>
> What can I do to make the profile stay active?

Do you have spy-ware detection running on your system?
If so, it may have prevented the profiling program from running on start-up.

Try re-installing the profiling program, after first turning off all
spy-ware, virus protection, etc.
Once you've got it set up again, you should be able to turn spy-detection
and virus protection back on...

Then you should be able to still load the profile you created the first time
(without having to go through the profiling routine again).

The other thing you might try is:

Go to START...RUN...
Type in: "msconfig" and hit enter.

Now go to the start-up tab.

In the list of start-up items, see if there is an item that seems
related...with a box that has been un-checked...you might be able to solve
this by simply re-checking it...then restarting your computer.

First, though, try re-installing the profiling software after first
deactivating your protection programs.
You might have to also deactivate a built-in Windows-based program or
fire-wall too.
That can be done via the control panel (Start--settings--control
panel--Windows Firewall), and turn the firewall off (you can turn it back on
again after install).

These are just suggestions for common start-up issues like this. I don't
know that it will fix it, but I'd start with these--if this was happening on
my own computer.

-MarkČ