Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma Lens for Nikon D-50?

Sigma Lens for Nikon D-50?

Hoover

I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...03&navigator=3

Hywel Jenkins

Hoover wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
> thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...03&navigator=3

This month's "Practical Photography" gives it 5/5. In summary they say
excellent build quality, smooth zoom and focus action, "proving this
lens is a worthwhile and versatile addition to your kit bag".

I could scan the article if you like, but they don't say much more than
that.

--
Hywel
http://kibo.org.uk/

TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Hoover wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
> thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...03&navigator=3

I just added one to my D50; for the price, the quality is great!! It
seems solid and well built for a "bargain" priced lens. The image
quality is acceptable, but not as sharp and crisp as the much more
expensive Nikon ED lenses, of course. Here are some shots I just did at
a local market. http://tinyurl.com/fdlgy I hand-held the camera, which
is a problem at 200-300mm so there is a bit of blurring. I did some
enhancing in PS. One image (the church) is taken with a Nikon 18-70 ED
lens at 70mm. I can see a big improvement in image quality with that
lens. All in all, if you are not exhibiting large studio prints I think
it is a fine amateur lens. Be sure you do get the "APO DG Macro"
version - the one with the red band. Some of the negative features are
- the front element rotates making polarizing filters a bit messy - I
would keep the telephoto at 200mm or below and at f8 - for best quality.
I think it falls off quickly after that. The macro feature clicks in
only when set to 300mm - 200mm. Other than, that it works real slick on
the D50. I am happy with it.

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l

Roy G

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:drV2g.409$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hoover wrote:
>> I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
>> thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
>> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...03&navigator=3

> I just added one to my D50; for the price, the quality is great!! It
> seems solid and well built for a "bargain" priced lens. The image quality
> is acceptable, but not as sharp and crisp as the much more expensive Nikon
> ED lenses, of course. Here are some shots I just did at a local market.
> http://tinyurl.com/fdlgy I hand-held the camera, which is a problem at
> 200-300mm so there is a bit of blurring. I did some enhancing in PS. One
> image (the church) is taken with a Nikon 18-70 ED lens at 70mm. I can see
> a big improvement in image quality with that lens. All in all, if you are
> not exhibiting large studio prints I think it is a fine amateur lens. Be
> sure you do get the "APO DG Macro" version - the one with the red band.
> Some of the negative features are - the front element rotates making
> polarizing filters a bit messy - I would keep the telephoto at 200mm or
> below and at f8 - for best quality. I think it falls off quickly after
> that. The macro feature clicks in only when set to 300mm - 200mm. Other
> than, that it works real slick on the D50. I am happy with it.

Hi.

From what I can gather the Nikon 70 -300 can not be described as being
amongst the best Nikon Lenses, in fact not even near that standard. The
price reductions available almost everywhere should demonstrate this.

One of the well known reviewers seems convinced that they are not even made
by Nikon. The cheaper G and the D both have exactly the same Glass, only
the barrel material and the Aperture ring are different. The ED Glass is
where it would seem to have the least effect on improving quality.

In that case you are probably not losing much quality by going for the
Sigma, and losing absolutely nothing by getting the Tamron 70-300.

Roy G

Romeo Raabe

I've been using an older Sigma 28-300 on my D50 since I purchased it
and have been pleased with it. A few months ago a recently retired
photographer I went to photo school with joined me in St. John USVI and
used this combo. He was so impressed that when we got to St Thomas
shopping one day, he bought a Sigma 28-300 for himself. His newer
version is slightly shorter, smaller, and has macro mine does not. We
both give it a thumbs up. He is more critical than I and it satisfies
him.
Romeo Raabe in Green Bay

Nick P. Norwood

As an owner of the Nikon lens in question, and also one who has had a chance
to use the Sigma model on my D50, I'd say you may actually notice superior
quality with the Sigma. Particularly at the long end of the zoom and/or in
tricky light.
If I didn't have my eye on something a bit longer I'd probably invest in
one.

Nick

"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:chb4g.1251$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:drV2g.409$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hoover wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of getting this lens for my Nikon D-50 digital camera - any
>>> thoughts, good or bad? thanks much
>>> http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...03&navigator=3

>> I just added one to my D50; for the price, the quality is great!! It
>> seems solid and well built for a "bargain" priced lens. The image
>> quality is acceptable, but not as sharp and crisp as the much more
>> expensive Nikon ED lenses, of course. Here are some shots I just did at
>> a local market. http://tinyurl.com/fdlgy I hand-held the camera, which
>> is a problem at 200-300mm so there is a bit of blurring. I did some
>> enhancing in PS. One image (the church) is taken with a Nikon 18-70 ED
>> lens at 70mm. I can see a big improvement in image quality with that
>> lens. All in all, if you are not exhibiting large studio prints I think
>> it is a fine amateur lens. Be sure you do get the "APO DG Macro"
>> version - the one with the red band. Some of the negative features are -
>> the front element rotates making polarizing filters a bit messy - I would
>> keep the telephoto at 200mm or below and at f8 - for best quality. I
>> think it falls off quickly after that. The macro feature clicks in only
>> when set to 300mm - 200mm. Other than, that it works real slick on the
>> D50. I am happy with it.
>>

> Hi.
>
> From what I can gather the Nikon 70 -300 can not be described as being
> amongst the best Nikon Lenses, in fact not even near that standard. The
> price reductions available almost everywhere should demonstrate this.
>
> One of the well known reviewers seems convinced that they are not even
> made by Nikon. The cheaper G and the D both have exactly the same Glass,
> only the barrel material and the Aperture ring are different. The ED Glass
> is where it would seem to have the least effect on improving quality.
>
> In that case you are probably not losing much quality by going for the
> Sigma, and losing absolutely nothing by getting the Tamron 70-300.
>
> Roy G

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Roy G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One of the well known reviewers seems convinced that they are not even made
> by Nikon. The cheaper G and the D both have exactly the same Glass, only
> the barrel material and the Aperture ring are different. The ED Glass is
> where it would seem to have the least effect on improving quality.

They don't have exactly the same glass ... as the D version is an ED lens and
has [I believe] only one ED element. The build quality is better on the D
version as well. Personally, I would take the Nikon 70-300 ED lens over the
sigma any day, and considering the price is about the same (you can get the
Nikon 70-300D ED AF for $329 from B&H).

> In that case you are probably not losing much quality by going for the
> Sigma, and losing absolutely nothing by getting the Tamron 70-300.

The question is ... how much are you paying for the sigma? $300 is way too
much.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44526146$0$270$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Roy G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> One of the well known reviewers seems convinced that they are not even
>> made
>> by Nikon. The cheaper G and the D both have exactly the same Glass, only
>> the barrel material and the Aperture ring are different. The ED Glass is
>> where it would seem to have the least effect on improving quality.
>>

> They don't have exactly the same glass ... as the D version is an ED lens
> and
> has [I believe] only one ED element. The build quality is better on the D
> version as well. Personally, I would take the Nikon 70-300 ED lens over
> the
> sigma any day, and considering the price is about the same (you can get
> the
> Nikon 70-300D ED AF for $329 from B&H).
>
>> In that case you are probably not losing much quality by going for the
>> Sigma, and losing absolutely nothing by getting the Tamron 70-300.
>>

> The question is ... how much are you paying for the sigma? $300 is way
> too
> much.

Of course $ 300.00 is too much. Typical retail for this Sigma APO lens is $
200.00 or a bit less. It's a great value.

TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
> The question is ... how much are you paying for the sigma? $300 is way too
> much.

I got mine for $166 (+ shipping) from Prestige Camera.
http://www.prestigecamera.com/produc...70300aponk.htm

--
Seinfeld Lists http://tinyurl.com/f7k9d
California Photos http://tinyurl.com/ann2l
Sawyer's Nicknames http://tinyurl.com/gowma

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6aI4g.2525$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>> The question is ... how much are you paying for the sigma? $300 is way
>> too
>> much.
>>

> I got mine for $166 (+ shipping) from Prestige Camera.
> http://www.prestigecamera.com/produc...70300aponk.htm

How was your shopping experience with this place? This is one of the
rip-off Brooklyn operations that goes by multiple names and customer ratings
are horrible http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html. At least they
have a nice storefront
http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/Broo...ores/h0180.htm