Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Camera White Balance, Colors, Gray Card

Digital Camera White Balance, Colors, Gray Card

bbford

I'm new to digital cameras and gray cards. My Canon A510 seems accurate
about 90% of the time in colors weather I use auto white balance or one of
the preset white balances.
As an experiment, I printed out a gray card on my printer. I used windows
Paint and set the colors to 127,127,127. It printed out a medium shade of
gray. I used this as a test gray card on the camera. Now the colors are dead
on 100% accurate in the sun, shade, indoors, dim light, when I use the gray
card.

Question is, how accurate is the white balance and colors in your point and
shoot camera? Do you ever use a gray card?

secheese

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:57:21 GMT, "bbford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Question is, how accurate is the white balance and colors in your point and
>shoot camera? Do you ever use a gray card?

Not bad at all most of the time.
Yes.

Pete

I have a Canon 20D. Most of the time when shooting outdoors I use auto
white balance. However, when shooting indoors I use a white card.
Almost always this brings the colors right on. I always shoot the white
card for the lighting I am using. If available light then I shoot the
white card using available light. If flash I shoot it with my flash,
but don't change your flash settings after you shoot the white card or
it will throw off the white balance.

Randy Howard

Pete wrote
(in article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>):

> I have a Canon 20D. Most of the time when shooting outdoors I use auto
> white balance. However, when shooting indoors I use a white card.
> Almost always this brings the colors right on. I always shoot the white
> card for the lighting I am using. If available light then I shoot the
> white card using available light. If flash I shoot it with my flash,
> but don't change your flash settings after you shoot the white card or
> it will throw off the white balance.

I use one of these, indoors or out, and it makes a big
difference over the camera settings, and it's easy. Just shoot
an extra frame at the start or end of each string in the same
light.

www.whibal.com

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)