Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Distortion!

Distortion!

Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't know
what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the middle. The
wheels aren't even square-on.

TMG

2 wrote:
> Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't know
> what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the middle.

They are called "Gull Wing doors"

"TMG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>2 wrote:
>> Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't
>> know what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the
>> middle.

> They are called "Gull Wing doors"

No, look at the distortion of the body, as if it were bowed out towards the
camera. If you don't see it, then .... well, you can save a lot of money by
not buying good lenses.

Marvin

2 wrote:
> Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't know
> what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the middle. The
> wheels aren't even square-on.

The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it
is bent in. That is just a result of the shading. and how
my visual system interprets it.

"Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
> That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
> it.

Thank you, Marvin, that's what I was seeing. It is truly distorted, but the
shadow does enhance it. And my apology for the very poor jpeg.

Prometheus

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, 2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
writes
>"Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
>> That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
>> it.

>Thank you, Marvin, that's what I was seeing. It is truly distorted, but the
>shadow does enhance it. And my apology for the very poor jpeg.

>http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/tmp.jpg

What lens did you use? And can you put a better image on the site as it
is difficult to interpret this low res. image.

--
Ian G8ILZ

Edwin Pawlowski

"Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>2 wrote:
>> Look at the horrible distortion in this picture. Sony digital. I don't
>> know what you can call it, but it looks like the car bends out in the
>> middle. The wheels aren't even square-on.
>>

> The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
> That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
> it.

Nah, look at the roofline of the building. It is either distortion or the
building has settled quite a bit.

"Prometheus" <Prometheus@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What lens did you use? And can you put a better image on the site as it is
> difficult to interpret this low res. image.

Ian, it was taken so long ago on a Sony that used a floppy disc. Not
worth trying to find the thing again.

Prometheus

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Prometheus
<Prometheus@127.0.0.1> writes
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, 2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>writes
>>"Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> The center of the car is very dark. It looks to me like it is bent in.
>>> That is just a result of the shading. and how my visual system interprets
>>> it.

>>Thank you, Marvin, that's what I was seeing. It is truly distorted, but the
>>shadow does enhance it. And my apology for the very poor jpeg.

>>http://course1.winona.edu/jstafford/tmp.jpg

>What lens did you use? And can you put a better image on the site as it
>is difficult to interpret this low res. image.

Having reviewed the photograph I suspect that you were standing fairly
close and using a wide angle setting which introduced some barrel
distortion, it was probably also not a flat-field lens at that setting.
I am however reluctant to assume that the top of the nearer roof was a
horizontal line, the right hand end seems to have an extra row of tiles
to the right of the car door; perhaps this is causing an optical
illusion rather than there being a significant distortion in the lens.
--
Ian G8ILZ

timeOday

Prometheus wrote:

> Having reviewed the photograph I suspect that you were standing fairly
> close and using a wide angle setting which introduced some barrel
> distortion, it was probably also not a flat-field lens at that setting.
> I am however reluctant to assume that the top of the nearer roof was a
> horizontal line, the right hand end seems to have an extra row of tiles
> to the right of the car door; perhaps this is causing an optical
> illusion rather than there being a significant distortion in the lens.

I wish I could set a default focal length on my S80. Instead it simply
defaults to the widest angle, which has distortion.