Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > I begining to Hate WI-FI!

I begining to Hate WI-FI!

Veritech

I reguard my self as quite a computer savy person. Been the household
Computer guy since i was 11, so i feel i know what i'm doing.

Last month i decided i was sick of my PC being requested by other members of
the family for the internet every 5 mins. so i brought a wi-fi(b) card for
the pc(Win XP 1GHz, 256mb sdram, 600k Broadband) and a wi-fi(b) Pcicmca card
for the laptop(win me, 700 mhz 64mb sdram). Both cards were from realtek and
installed just fine. i know the cards aren't faulty cause i get signal from
both. so they can see each other. But for some reason i can't set up an
ad-hoc network between the two. I've considered buy a wireless gateway but
can't afford it for now and don't really want to as i've only got the two
pcs. i've tried the home networking wizard to no sucess. i'm tried turning
the pc into a proxy server with no result. any help would be really welcome.

Xanaga

are they in the same workgroup and in the same subnet mask with the same ip
range?

"Veritech" <(E-Mail Removed)>, iletide şunu yazdı
news:4KoWc.1090$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I reguard my self as quite a computer savy person. Been the household
> Computer guy since i was 11, so i feel i know what i'm doing.
>
> Last month i decided i was sick of my PC being requested by other members

of
> the family for the internet every 5 mins. so i brought a wi-fi(b) card for
> the pc(Win XP 1GHz, 256mb sdram, 600k Broadband) and a wi-fi(b) Pcicmca

card
> for the laptop(win me, 700 mhz 64mb sdram). Both cards were from realtek

and
> installed just fine. i know the cards aren't faulty cause i get signal

from
> both. so they can see each other. But for some reason i can't set up an
> ad-hoc network between the two. I've considered buy a wireless gateway but
> can't afford it for now and don't really want to as i've only got the two
> pcs. i've tried the home networking wizard to no sucess. i'm tried turning
> the pc into a proxy server with no result. any help would be really

welcome.

Jack

Hi.

Ad_hoc should work but it might be a problem in certain system, and "Quirky"
at best for Internet Sharing.Wireless 4 Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router $9.99
after rebate -
http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0151877
)

Jack (MVP-Networking).