Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which to prefer ..?

Which to prefer ..?

pbdelete@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid

By useing a database of cameras I came up with these:

Panasonic FZ7 4390:-
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
Sony H1 3695:-
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml
Sony H2 3995:-
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml
Canon s2is 4390:-
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...hot_s2-review/
-video codec
-1gb video limit
-live histogram

Any reason to prefer one over another..?

Pat

Yes. But it depends on what your criteria are and what your use will
be.

Daniel Silevitch

On 21 Apr 2006 01:54:13 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> By useing a database of cameras I came up with these:
>
> Panasonic FZ7 4390:-
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
> Sony H1 3695:-
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml
> Sony H2 3995:-
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml
> Canon s2is 4390:-
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...hot_s2-review/
> -video codec
> -1gb video limit
> -live histogram
>
> Any reason to prefer one over another..?

They're broadly similar models, but differ in the details. Do you want a
fold-out tilt/swivel LCD? Go with the Canon. Is fast focusing important
to you? The Panasonic is probably the way to go. Do you have a large
collection of MemoryStick memory? The Sonys might be best.

So, what do you want to do with this camera, and what (if any) equipment
do you already have?

-dms

pbdelete@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid

>They're broadly similar models, but differ in the details. Do you want a
>fold-out tilt/swivel LCD? Go with the Canon. Is fast focusing important
>to you? The Panasonic is probably the way to go. Do you have a large
>collection of MemoryStick memory? The Sonys might be best.

>So, what do you want to do with this camera, and what (if any) equipment
>do you already have?

I think at this stage I want the pure photographic capabilities to be the
best. Such as noiselevels, lens distortion etc..
Other stuff I like is remote triggered shot, and subsequent transfer to a pc.
Infrared remote to trigger shot.

Daniel Silevitch

On 21 Apr 2006 02:56:15 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)lid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>They're broadly similar models, but differ in the details. Do you want a
>>fold-out tilt/swivel LCD? Go with the Canon. Is fast focusing important
>>to you? The Panasonic is probably the way to go. Do you have a large
>>collection of MemoryStick memory? The Sonys might be best.

>>So, what do you want to do with this camera, and what (if any) equipment
>>do you already have?

> I think at this stage I want the pure photographic capabilities to be the
> best. Such as noiselevels, lens distortion etc..
> Other stuff I like is remote triggered shot, and subsequent transfer to a pc.
> Infrared remote to trigger shot.

Well, the Panasonics have a well-regarded lens. I have an FZ5, the
predecessor to the FZ7 (which uses the same lens), and it takes clean,
crisp shots throughout the zoom range. Unfortunately, the Panasonics
also have a reputation for noisier-than-average sensors, though my
experience has been that ISO 200 and below are fine.

Remote triggers, I'm not sure about.

-dms