Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canopus ADVC-100 on a ibook G4 (May 2005)

Canopus ADVC-100 on a ibook G4 (May 2005)

Bible John

Someone here recomended that I buy this for use with my JVC SXM250U to play
and converttapes on my ibook G4 (May 2005) or whatever the model was. Its a
VHS-C camcorder. The video is okay, and many, many, many times superior
than thedigital video that any digital still camera I have used, and this
would include the Sony Mavica (which seems to be near the top of the still
camera market). But then again these are video groups, and not still picture
groups. I'm sure those in the photo group can tell me if the ifnormation I
am giving is incorrect.

I did some price checking on ebay among other places, and I see that this
converter will cost almost as much as a low end digiral camcorder, am I
correct?

Will a low end match the features of my JVC SXM250U model? This one is
nice,and I especially like the backlight.

John

Pet 3:15-But sanctify the Lord God[a] in your hearts, and always be ready
to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in
you, with meekness and fear
CERM-Church Education Resource Ministries
Founder and director
http://johnw.freeshell.org/bible

Richard Crowley

"Bible John" wrote ...
> Someone here recomended that I buy this for use with
> my JVC SXM250U to play and convert tapes on my
> ibook G4 (May 2005) or whatever the model was. Its
> a VHS-C camcorder.

The ADVC-100 has been replaced by the ADVC-110.
They are both great products that don't care whether they
are talking to a PC or a Mac. It also doesn't care whether
the source is VHS, S-VHS, VHS-C, 8mm, 3/4U, Betamax,
or any other analog format.

> The video is okay, and many, many, many times superior
> than thedigital video that any digital still camera I have used,

Nobody seriously expects still cameras to produce "video".
Nobody seriously expects video cameras to produce "stills".
The requirements are VERY different, and the market for
a gadget that does both well appears to be nonextant, perhaps
because it would cost way too much to be atractive.

> and this would include the Sony Mavica (which seems to
> be near the top of the still camera market). But then again
> these are video groups, and not still picture groups. I'm sure
> those in the photo group can tell me if the ifnormation I
> am giving is incorrect.

I have what was at one time the top-of-the-line Mavica,
but I would never dream of trying to use it for "video".

> I did some price checking on ebay among other places,
> and I see that this converter will cost almost as much as
> a low end digiral camcorder, am I correct?

Probably.

> Will a low end match the features of my JVC SXM250U
> model? This one is nice,and I especially like the backlight.

Hard to compare your JVC against a ??????.

OTOH, guaranteed that the cheapest mini-DV camera
will *record* better than the very best VHS machine
ever made. Whether a given mini-DV camcorder has a
better *camera* section can only be determined on a
case-by-case basis. There are lots of online resources
that review the imaging capabilities of camcorders.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that you can likely
find an inexpensive mini-DV camcorder at least the
equal of your JVC VHS-C unit.

Richard Crowley in rec.video.production

Mardon

> "Bible John" wrote ...
>> Someone here recomended that I buy this for use with
>> my JVC SXM250U to play and convert tapes

I agree with what Richard Crowley has told you.

I own a ADVC-300 and it does a fantastic job of what it is designed
to do; convert analogue video to digital. If you aren't interested
in converting a lot of old tapes and merely want to capture good
video, then buy a miniDV video camera. You can get one for the same
price as an ADVC-300 and it will do a far better job than your
current VHS-C recorder. Forget tryging to capture good video with a
camera designed to take still pictures.

irwell

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:58:54 GMT, Mardon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> "Bible John" wrote ...
>>> Someone here recomended that I buy this for use with
>>> my JVC SXM250U to play and convert tapes

>I agree with what Richard Crowley has told you.
>
>I own a ADVC-300 and it does a fantastic job of what it is designed
>to do; convert analogue video to digital. If you aren't interested
>in converting a lot of old tapes and merely want to capture good
>video, then buy a miniDV video camera. You can get one for the same
>price as an ADVC-300 and it will do a far better job than your
>current VHS-C recorder. Forget tryging to capture good video with a
>camera designed to take still pictures.

There is also another model called Datadac DAC-100 made by
datavideo, less money and does the same conversions .
Have had mine for over 3 years and ism working great.
http://www.datavideo-tek.com

LuvMacs

I use Plextor's ConvertX box with my TiBook G4 and I love it.

Hook it up to my VCR, DVD or Tivo and record away.

It also has it's own Tivo-like feature to program and record shows but I
myself have not used this feature.

I mostly purchased it so I could record footage of old family movies
from VHS into computer then burn onto DVDs.

http://www.plextor.com/English/products/TV402UMac.htm

John McWilliams

LuvMacs wrote:
> I use Plextor's ConvertX box with my TiBook G4 and I love it.
>
> Hook it up to my VCR, DVD or Tivo and record away.
>
> It also has it's own Tivo-like feature to program and record shows but I
> myself have not used this feature.
>
> I mostly purchased it so I could record footage of old family movies
> from VHS into computer then burn onto DVDs.
>
> http://www.plextor.com/English/products/TV402UMac.htm

Nice.

F-U set to alt.video

J. Clarke

Mardon wrote:

>> "Bible John" wrote ...
>>> Someone here recomended that I buy this for use with
>>> my JVC SXM250U to play and convert tapes

> I agree with what Richard Crowley has told you.
>
> I own a ADVC-300 and it does a fantastic job of what it is designed
> to do; convert analogue video to digital. If you aren't interested
> in converting a lot of old tapes and merely want to capture good
> video, then buy a miniDV video camera. You can get one for the same
> price as an ADVC-300 and it will do a far better job than your
> current VHS-C recorder. Forget tryging to capture good video with a
> camera designed to take still pictures.

A decent miniDV camcorder can also do conversions quite well.

Note "decent"--go with a Sony, Panasonic, or JVC--avoid Samsung and the like
unless you get a chance to give it a thorough wringing out before buying.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate