Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Q: Defective DX6490

Q: Defective DX6490

John Turco

Hello,

Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
manual features.)

Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
"optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).

Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
behavior?

Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
update (version 1.01).

Is it possible to flash the DX6490 with the rather similar (but 5MP)
Z740's firmware? If so, would it fix my digicam -- or, more likely, turn
it into a permanent paperweight? (It's basically functional, at the
moment.)

Any other suggestions, anybody?

Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Turco
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
> Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
> behavior?

Wouldn't be my first choice. Sounds like some of the options are
unavailable in the current operational mode. Have you tried changing
from "Auto" to "PASM" on the mode dial?

I don't know this camera all that well (though I have one right here)
but I'd only try an "incorrect" firmware flash if you've given up any
other hope for it - assuming you can flash it at all...

grruffbowwow@yahoo.com

John Turco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
> manual features.)
>
> Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
> "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
> when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
> directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
> that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
>
> Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
> Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
> behavior?
>
> Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
> the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
> update (version 1.01).
>
> Is it possible to flash the DX6490 with the rather similar (but 5MP)
> Z740's firmware? If so, would it fix my digicam -- or, more likely, turn
> it into a permanent paperweight? (It's basically functional, at the
> moment.)
>
> Any other suggestions, anybody?
>
> Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

Sounds like a good way to make a paperweight, actually. The cameras
you're talking about are really separate generations; they don't have
the same sensor, controls, or electronics. Would you flash a Pentium
III motherboard with a Pentium 4 BIOS? After all, they're both
Intel.....

Your issues sound like a job for the Kodak repair technicians to me;
how much it would cost and whether it's worth it to you you'd have to
find out. Several companies are charging a flat repair fee no matter
what's wrong (barring "dropped from an airplane at altitude", of
course) - for my Oly C-5060 for instance, I've heard ~$170 with return
shipping - a steal compared to a new camera with similar quality.

YMMV.

ASAAR

On 15 Apr 2006 06:09:59 EDT, John Turco wrote:

> Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
> manual features.)
>
> Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
> "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
> when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
> directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
> that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
>
> Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
> Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
> behavior?
>
> Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
> the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
> update (version 1.01).

Before trying a solution that isn't related to the problem, check
your manual to see if some of the optional settings that get skipped
over don't appear to be appropriate for the mode that the camera is
in. On my camera (a Fuji) various menu options aren't visible at
all when the camera uses specific modes or has certain options
selected or deselected. For instance, flash options aren't visible
in Landscape Mode, and spot or average metering aren't offered in
Auto Mode. Other cameras might show the unselectable options,
either like all the others, or distinguished somehow, similar to
the way Windows programs have menu options "grayed out".

For what it's worth, most of the options are selectable when the
camera is in one of the P, A, S or M modes, and the greatest number
are unavailable in Auto Mode or one of the specialty modes, such as
Landscape, Sports, Portrait and Night Scene.

> Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
that might mean. <g>

John Turco

Scott Schuckert wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John Turco
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
> > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
> > behavior?

> Wouldn't be my first choice. Sounds like some of the options are
> unavailable in the current operational mode. Have you tried changing
> from "Auto" to "PASM" on the mode dial?

Hello, Scott:

Yes, indeed. My futile efforts involved every mode; I actually ran the
battery down, fiddling around so long. All I did was waste juice, hoping
the camera would magically "repair" itself.

Being in denial is a terrible thing!

> I don't know this camera all that well (though I have one right here)
> but I'd only try an "incorrect" firmware flash if you've given up any
> other hope for it - assuming you can flash it at all...

It's a long shot, in any case. I'm wary of rendering my DX6490
completely worthless, in the event of an unsuccessful flash attempt.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

> John Turco wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
> > manual features.)
> >
> > Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
> > "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
> > when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
> > directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
> > that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
> >
> > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
> > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
> > behavior?
> >
> > Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
> > the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
> > update (version 1.01).
> >
> > Is it possible to flash the DX6490 with the rather similar (but 5MP)
> > Z740's firmware? If so, would it fix my digicam -- or, more likely, turn
> > it into a permanent paperweight? (It's basically functional, at the
> > moment.)
> >
> > Any other suggestions, anybody?
> >
> > Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

> Sounds like a good way to make a paperweight, actually. The cameras
> you're talking about are really separate generations; they don't have
> the same sensor, controls, or electronics.

Hello,

That's just as I'd feared, and "hacking" the Z740's firmware is far
beyond my skills.

>Would you flash a Pentium
> III motherboard with a Pentium 4 BIOS? After all, they're both
> Intel.....

Of course not. You think I'm a computer illiterate, perhaps? (Don't
answer that! <g>)

> Your issues sound like a job for the Kodak repair technicians to me;
> how much it would cost and whether it's worth it to you you'd have to
> find out. Several companies are charging a flat repair fee no matter
> what's wrong (barring "dropped from an airplane at altitude", of
> course) - for my Oly C-5060 for instance, I've heard ~$170 with return
> shipping - a steal compared to a new camera with similar quality.
>
> YMMV.

Well, if I could afford Kodak's servicing fee, would I be a lowly
dial-up subscriber, in the first place? Seriously, I don't want to
sink any more significant amounts of money into this item...as by that
time, I could probably find a new/refurbished DX6490, for about the
same cost.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

John Turco

ASAAR wrote:

> On 15 Apr 2006 06:09:59 EDT, John Turco wrote:
>
> > Camera: Kodak DX6490 (4MP, 10x optical zoom, various automatic and
> > manual features.)
> >
> > Symptoms: Specifically, the "Joystick/OK" button simply skips over many
> > "optional settings," on the LCD menu. It also won't enable certain ones,
> > when I try to highlight them. Although, it does move properly in all
> > directions (up, down, left, right and "OK")...which leads me to believe
> > that the button, itself, really is okay (pun intended).
> >
> > Theory: I suspect my DX6490's firmware became corrupted, somehow.
> > Assuming I'm correct, could this explain the camera's erratic menu
> > behavior?
> >
> > Personal solution: Firmware upgrade. Kodak refuses to provide any for
> > the DX6490; regardless, I've already downloaded the Z740's firmware
> > update (version 1.01).

> Before trying a solution that isn't related to the problem, check
> your manual to see if some of the optional settings that get skipped
> over don't appear to be appropriate for the mode that the camera is
> in. On my camera (a Fuji) various menu options aren't visible at
> all when the camera uses specific modes or has certain options
> selected or deselected. For instance, flash options aren't visible
> in Landscape Mode, and spot or average metering aren't offered in
> Auto Mode. Other cameras might show the unselectable options,
> either like all the others, or distinguished somehow, similar to
> the way Windows programs have menu options "grayed out".

Hello,

I've tried >everything<, including reading the manual and doing
exhaustive searches on the WWW and in Usenet -- trust me! :-J

> For what it's worth, most of the options are selectable when the
> camera is in one of the P, A, S or M modes, and the greatest number
> are unavailable in Auto Mode or one of the specialty modes, such as
> Landscape, Sports, Portrait and Night Scene.

True, my DX6490 is fully operational, from that standpoint. If, however,
I need to delete pictures from the internal memory/SD card (or format
either of them), I can't can't do it, in the camera, alone; I must
connect it to my PC, via USB/Kodak's "EasyShare" software, and then use
Windows Explorer (in WinME).

But, that's merely one example, for which a workaround happens to exist.
Changing any of the DX6490's default settings (e.g., resolution) is
hopeless, unless I'm able to access its entire menu system.

> > Please respond in the newsgroup, only, and thanks in advance!

> It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
> that might mean. <g>

"In advance" means "ahead of time," for your information. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

ASAAR

On 16 Apr 2006 22:16:44 EDT, John Turco wrote:

>> It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
>> that might mean. <g>

> "In advance" means "ahead of time," for your information. <g>

Well, I do know that! I wondered if saying "You're welcome" in
advance even made sense, since it was said in response to your
"thanks in advance" which had already arrived.

As for your camera's problems with the skipping joystick, it
reminds me of problems years ago with computers that had what was
know as a "keyboard bounce" problem, due to certain keys not making
good electrical contact. This might not be what's happening with
your camera if the problem is 100% repeatable, but if the skipping
is of a somewhat random nature it might be worth seeing if an
aerosol spray can of contact cleaner might help.

For what it's worth, several months or a year ago I had a digital
radio that behaved similarly. I could tune any station I wanted,
but only a few of the station presets worked, and I couldn't change
any of them. I had no problem turning the radio on, but could turn
it off only with great difficulty. Some control buttons worked,
others didn't. The radio had a reset button, but all that did was
wipe out settings and the clock. Removing batteries for several
minutes was tried, but that only duplicated what the reset button
did, which wasn't of much help. Only by keeping the batteries out
of the camera for about a full day was the radio able to be restored
to proper functioning.

This technique may also work for your camera, but you may or may
not be able to do this, depending on how it was designed. If the
DX6490 has a removable button cell for memory backup, removing all
batteries may revive the camera quickly. But some camera
manufacturers (Sony, for one) have a few models with internal
rechargeable backup batteries that can't be removed. As they start
recharging every time the camera's main batteries are installed, to
get the same effect as removing the backup battery, the main
batteries would have to be kept out of the camera long enough for
the backup battery to drain. According to one of Sony's manuals,
this would take more than a month of waiting. In any case, good
luck with your DX6490.

John Turco

ASAAR wrote:

> On 16 Apr 2006 22:16:44 EDT, John Turco wrote:
>
> >> It's the only way I would. You're welcome in advance, whatever
> >> that might mean. <g>

> > "In advance" means "ahead of time," for your information. <g>

> Well, I do know that! I wondered if saying "You're welcome" in
> advance even made sense, since it was said in response to your
> "thanks in advance" which had already arrived.

Hello,

Yeah, that's what I thought.

> As for your camera's problems with the skipping joystick, it
> reminds me of problems years ago with computers that had what was
> know as a "keyboard bounce" problem, due to certain keys not making
> good electrical contact. This might not be what's happening with
> your camera if the problem is 100% repeatable, but if the skipping
> is of a somewhat random nature it might be worth seeing if an
> aerosol spray can of contact cleaner might help.

I'd considered the joystick, itself, as the culprit, but quickly
dismissed it as a low probability. (And spraying >anything< into a
delicate electronic device is a frightening prospect, especially
for one as cautious as I am. <g>)

> For what it's worth, several months or a year ago I had a digital
> radio that behaved similarly. I could tune any station I wanted,
> but only a few of the station presets worked, and I couldn't change
> any of them. I had no problem turning the radio on, but could turn
> it off only with great difficulty. Some control buttons worked,
> others didn't. The radio had a reset button, but all that did was
> wipe out settings and the clock. Removing batteries for several
> minutes was tried, but that only duplicated what the reset button
> did, which wasn't of much help. Only by keeping the batteries out
> of the camera for about a full day was the radio able to be restored
> to proper functioning.

The DX6490's time/date option did pop up, when I first turned it on,
after reinserting its (recharged) proprietary "KLIC-5001" Li-ion
battery, recently. I was wishful this would be an indication that
the camera had miraculously "reset" itself to factory perfection.

No such luck, naturally.

> This technique may also work for your camera, but you may or may
> not be able to do this, depending on how it was designed. If the
> DX6490 has a removable button cell for memory backup, removing all
> batteries may revive the camera quickly. But some camera
> manufacturers (Sony, for one) have a few models with internal
> rechargeable backup batteries that can't be removed. As they start
> recharging every time the camera's main batteries are installed, to
> get the same effect as removing the backup battery, the main
> batteries would have to be kept out of the camera long enough for
> the backup battery to drain. According to one of Sony's manuals,
> this would take more than a month of waiting.

Unfortunately, no button cells need apply, in the Kodak's case.

>In any case, good
> luck with your DX6490.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll need it. <g>

Cordially,