Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can a 4.1 Take a Decent 6 x 9 300 DPI Picture?

Can a 4.1 Take a Decent 6 x 9 300 DPI Picture?

Jules Vide

I currently have another thread on this newsgroup and have received an
overwhelming education in digital photography. The ironic thing is
that the education has been so copious (for me, that is), that I'll
need time to peruse the various links and suggestions in order to
implement them into my digital photographic repertoire.

For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the pixel size
of its highest resolution "choice") at the highest resolution at 4 MP
commonly associated with a 4 MP camera? (Sorry I can't be more precise
than "commonly associated with," but unfortunately HP doesn't seem to
be more precise as to the pixel capabilities of its highest resolution
image ((with the R607 model, that is.)))

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 13 Apr 2006 12:53:00 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Jules Vide"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I currently have another thread on this newsgroup and have received an
>overwhelming education in digital photography. The ironic thing is
>that the education has been so copious (for me, that is), that I'll
>need time to peruse the various links and suggestions in order to
>implement them into my digital photographic repertoire.
>
>For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
>photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the pixel size
>of its highest resolution "choice") at the highest resolution at 4 MP
>commonly associated with a 4 MP camera? (Sorry I can't be more precise
>than "commonly associated with," but unfortunately HP doesn't seem to
>be more precise as to the pixel capabilities of its highest resolution
>image ((with the R607 model, that is.)))

2320 x 1744 is the max image dimensions from
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/HP/hp_r607.asp
which first you must understand is NOT the same aspect ratio of your
desired print size.

2320 / 1744 = 1.33
vs.
9/6 = 1.50

So at 300dpi this would yield:

2320/300 = 7.73 inches
by
1744/300 = 5.81 inches.

or for your desired 9x6 print

2320/9 = 258 dpi
or
1744/6 = 290 dpi.

so without cropping you could print an 8 x 6 print at 290dpi.

http://EdwardGRuf.com

Jem Raid

"Jules Vide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I currently have another thread on this newsgroup and have received an
> overwhelming education in digital photography. The ironic thing is
> that the education has been so copious (for me, that is), that I'll
> need time to peruse the various links and suggestions in order to
> implement them into my digital photographic repertoire.
>
> For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
> photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the pixel size
> of its highest resolution "choice") at the highest resolution at 4 MP
> commonly associated with a 4 MP camera? (Sorry I can't be more precise
> than "commonly associated with," but unfortunately HP doesn't seem to
> be more precise as to the pixel capabilities of its highest resolution
> image ((with the R607 model, that is.)))

My Casio QV4000 which is about 4 mp at 9" x 6" gives me 250.667 pixels per
inch. However my printer will print this at 1200 dpi. I think you do
actually mean PPI which is what comes out of your camera DPI is a printer
term not a camera one.

However lots of magazines ask for 300 DPI pictures when they actually mean
300 PPI.

The editorial still has no idea what the compositor does

But see this;
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844
Most interesting!

Jem

-------------------------------------
Birmingham Independent Photographers
http://bip.wikispaces.com/

Charles Gillen

"Jules Vide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
> photograph at 300 DPI

Don't bother your head with the math... 6 x 9" is my favorite print
format because I like to leave a fat white border as a frame on 8.5 x
11" paper.

During my long digital apprenticeship with various small cameras, I found
that even a 2 MP camera can yield a print that size that stands up to
fairly close inspection. Your 4.1 MP should do even better.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

Andrew Crabtree

"Jules Vide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
> photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the pixel size

6 x 300 x 9 x 300 = 4860000 or 4.86 MP, so no.

But what your question really should be is "can I get a decent 6x9 from my
HP 607" and the answer to that is "yes". You will have to upsize the image
slightly and interpolate.

You were originally I think trying to use a 600x400 image which is 1/4 of a
MP, which is why it looked like crap when printed at 6"x9".

-Andrew

Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:53:36 -0400, Charles Gillen wrote:

> "Jules Vide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
>> photograph at 300 DPI

> Don't bother your head with the math... 6 x 9" is my favorite print
> format because I like to leave a fat white border as a frame on 8.5 x
> 11" paper.
>
> During my long digital apprenticeship with various small cameras, I found
> that even a 2 MP camera can yield a print that size that stands up to
> fairly close inspection. Your 4.1 MP should do even better.

The camera takes a picture the size of the sensor. The picture is enlarged
outside of the camera by whatever method you choose - such as your
computer.

--
Neil
delete 'l' to reply

Dennis Pogson

Charles Gillen wrote:
> "Jules Vide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6 x 9
>> photograph at 300 DPI

> Don't bother your head with the math... 6 x 9" is my favorite print
> format because I like to leave a fat white border as a frame on 8.5 x
> 11" paper.
>
> During my long digital apprenticeship with various small cameras, I
> found that even a 2 MP camera can yield a print that size that stands
> up to fairly close inspection. Your 4.1 MP should do even better.

Thank heavens for some sense at last! I second that! My five-year-old Kodak
DSC280 has taken loads of superbly-detailed, noise-free, 6 by 9's, and
although I have replaced it several times with new "plastic fantastics", it
still works superbly well, and has a die-cast heavy body and a super lens!

2.2 mpxls. Let the techno's debate how this can be, I don't care! Somewhere
along the way these idiots got tied up with the sales blurb!

Dennis.

Jules Vide

Another mini-math and mini-photography course. I read my owner's
manual last night and am starting to understand the stats page. Thanks
to everyone who replied.

Gisle Hannemyr

"Jules Vide" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> For the time, I'd just like to know if a 4.1 MP camera can take a 6
> x 9 photograph at 300 DPI or (since my HP does not identify the
> pixel size of its highest resolution "choice") at the highest
> resolution at 4 MP commonly associated with a 4 MP camera? (Sorry I
> can't be more precise than "commonly associated with," but
> unfortunately HP doesn't seem to be more precise as to the pixel
> capabilities of its highest resolution image ((with the R607 model,
> that is.)))

Actually, HP is very precise about this. The specification sheet for
HP Photosmart R607 says that at its highest resolution is 1744 x 2320
pixels. This tells you all you need to know about the camera's
reolution.

This means that if you shoot at highest resolution, and print at 300
ppi, the print will measure 5.8" x 7.7".

The HP R607 has a 4:3 aspect ratio. 6x9 is a 3:2 aspect ratio, so one
can not print at 6x9 without distoring or cropping - 6" x 8" is the
print size that would match your camera's aspect ratio.

If you print at 6" x 8", the print resolution will be 291 ppi.
Not quite 300 ppi, but very, very close.

To cut a long story short: 291 ppi is considered more than enough
resolution for a high quality print, so your HP R607 is up to
the task of taking a decent picture for this size of print.

NB: Looking at the spec. sheet for the camera, I've noticed that it is
equipped with so-called "digital zoom". Do NOT use the digital zoom
if you want the best possible resolution from this camera. The 3x
optical zoom is fine, but digital zoom is a resolution-destroyer.
Avoid it.
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z