Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Macro slide copying?

Macro slide copying?

Cheesehead

While saving for a slide scanner
I'm considering using a macro arrangement to digitize slides.
Has anyone here done this?
(My DSLR is a Pentax DS and I've got a suitable lens.)

Collin
KC8TKA

tomm42

Cheesehead wrote:
> While saving for a slide scanner
> I'm considering using a macro arrangement to digitize slides.
> Has anyone here done this?
> (My DSLR is a Pentax DS and I've got a suitable lens.)
>
> Collin
> KC8TKA

Best way is to find an old slide duplicator. Bessler had a good one, an
enlarging lens is better than a standard macro lens (you need a real
macro lens). Piece of cake after that. BUT most slide scanners will
make a bigger file, remember your pentax will only make a 9x6x300ppi
file. If that doesn't bother you should work well, some folks have said
a slide scanner gives better files, but they methods haven't been the
best. Another duplicator is a Bowens Illumatrans, some came with a
fixed back, so be sure before you buy.

Tom

Sheldon

"Cheesehead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> While saving for a slide scanner
> I'm considering using a macro arrangement to digitize slides.
> Has anyone here done this?
> (My DSLR is a Pentax DS and I've got a suitable lens.)
>
> Collin
> KC8TKA

I have a slide copier that I used to use with my Nikon macro lens and 35mm,
but when I use it with my DSLR it crops the slide due to the x1.5 factor.
You might be able to rig something up using a piece of frosted glass or
white translucent plastic, mount it at a slight angle and tape something
down to hold a slide in place and use a tripod and macro lens.

Mine would work with a plastic or cardboard tube and some surgery on the
slide copier.