Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recovering erased SanDisk SD card files

Recovering erased SanDisk SD card files

salgud

I have my download software for my SD cards set to erase the images
after they are downloaded to the computer. I took almost 200 pictures
in Costa Rica, including my son's wedding, in Feb, downloaded and
erased the card when I got home.

Somehow, between late Feb and now, all of the images were erased off my
harddrive. I don't know how. I did erase some old files off my computer
one night, but certainly didn't intend to erase those, nor did I think
I was in any directory where my pix were. But I was talking with a
friend while I was doing it, so maybe...

Anyway, I decided to get the software to recover the files and give it
a try. I called SanDisk, and they sent me to the Rescue Pro site to
download their software. However, the free download at RescuePro only
allows you to check to see if it can recover the images. If you want to
actually recover them, you have to buy the software.

I Googled for other software, and found and downloaded 3. But the one
that saved my bacon and recovered all the files was Vaiosoft Recovery
Manager. Worked perfectly. Easy to use. I highly recommend it for
anyone as foolish as myself! Or even less so. And it's FREE!

I don't work for or have any affiliation with Vailsoft, just grateful
that their free product did it's job.

I also learned a lesson. From now on when I download files from my SD
cards, I won't erase the index. I'll leave it as is until I need it,
using another card to take pix. When I need to use the SD card, I'll
erase it in the camera. Then I'll have a backup of the images until
that moment, just in case. I don't want to go through that again!

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Randy Berbaum

salgud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Hope this helps someone else out there.

One other suggestion. Make an emediate backup to an off line storage of
the original images. This way if you make a mistake durring editing or an
accidental erasure (as you experienced) you can recover the original image
from the backup. Some people use a seperate USB hard drive. Some use a DVD
recorder, but I personally use a simple CD burner to archive my images.
Just make it a habit to make the backup as soon as you complete the copy
to hard drive (burning a CD from the hard drive is more consistantly
good). Also each of these steps should be a "copy" so if one of the
transfers turns out bad you can redo it. Copy the files from the memory
card to the HD, and check the images on the HD (if there are a large
number you might spot check a few of them) before erasing the card. Then
immediately copy all these new images to an offline storage media as a
backup. It is a good idea to at least spot check the backup copy to make
sure you have it. Then store it away in a place that you can find it
easily (my worst failing) incase of a need to restore a lost image or
botched edit.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL