Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > NYPD tells you the Right Way to take pictures. Got it?

Reply
Thread Tools

NYPD tells you the Right Way to take pictures. Got it?

 
 
Unclaimed Mysteries
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-12-2006
While it may be 5 o'clock somewhere, Giuliani Time can be anywhere, so
enjoy this charming little story.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/061...n,72804,5.html

--
It Came From C. L. Smith's Unclaimed Mysteries.
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
fishfry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
In article <hee%f.6088$(E-Mail Removed) et>,
Unclaimed Mysteries
<the_letter_k_and_the_numeral_4_doh@unclaimedmyste ries.net> wrote:

> While it may be 5 o'clock somewhere, Giuliani Time can be anywhere, so
> enjoy this charming little story.
>
> http://www.villagevoice.com/news/061...n,72804,5.html


You remember about a year ago NYC outlawed the taking of photos on the
subway ... one of the most fertile environments for candid shots of New
Yorkers people going about their business. Speaking as a guy who grew up
in New Jersey and loved to take the bus into NY and ride the subways ...
I take this personally.

I truly hate the fear and paranoia that has descended on our country.
Yes there was a horrible terrorist attack. But when you surrender your
entire way of life to fear of imaginary terrorists -- then the
terrorists truly have won.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RobG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
fishfry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:
<snip>

> I truly hate the fear and paranoia that has descended on our country.
> Yes there was a horrible terrorist attack. But when you surrender your
> entire way of life to fear of imaginary terrorists -- then the
> terrorists truly have won.


Yay! Finally, an American with balls, who isn't afraid of the bogeyman.
What the Western world doesn't realise is that every time someone has to
stand in line for two hours before they board their aircraft, or subject
themselves to personal examination, or apply for a card to get them in the
door at work, or gets shut out from their favourite fishing spot because of
'terrorists'... well, the bad guys have won. If another bomb never explodes
or another threat is never spoken, the bad guys have still won, just
through the virtue of making us all jump through their hoops.

The land of the free? You poor sods. Trouble is, we're all in the same
shitty situation.

RobG
 
Reply With Quote
 
Photodan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
Hmmm. You've "surrendered your entire way of life" because you can't
take photographs on the subway? Who's being paranoid? Thirty years ago
I was taking some night shots at the U.S. Capitol. I was approached by
two Capitol police officers and told that photography was illegal on
Capitol grounds. They couldn't tell me why (and didn't have to) but,
what the hell, there must have been a reason and I could live with
that. Besides, I'd already taken some good shots before they got to me.


By the way, I live out here in middle America and I can assure you that
no fear or paranoia has descended on our area of the country.

And RobG. Plenty of Americans who "aren't afraid of the bogeyman" and
the bad guys haven't won anything. Now I suggest you guys stop being
paranoid and get out and take some photographs.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Unclaimed Mysteries
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
Photodan wrote:

> Hmmm. You've "surrendered your entire way of life" because you can't
> take photographs on the subway? Who's being paranoid? Thirty years ago
> I was taking some night shots at the U.S. Capitol. I was approached by
> two Capitol police officers and told that photography was illegal on
> Capitol grounds. They couldn't tell me why (and didn't have to) but,
> what the hell, there must have been a reason and I could live with
> that. Besides, I'd already taken some good shots before they got to me.
>
>
> By the way, I live out here in middle America and I can assure you that
> no fear or paranoia has descended on our area of the country.
>
> And RobG. Plenty of Americans who "aren't afraid of the bogeyman" and
> the bad guys haven't won anything. Now I suggest you guys stop being
> paranoid and get out and take some photographs.
>


Well done. 500 Patriot Points for YOU. Photodan is absolutely correct,
but he isn't going far enough. With threats everywhere these days, I
think it is important to prevent improper photography that might
compromise our security - either directly or indirectly.

Directly, improper photography reveals details of our nation's vital
resources and infrastructure. For example this image:

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/images/skate_ir00.jpg

presents several security issues. It seems harmless, a little
amateurish. But look again. It shows an interstate highway ramp in the
background. Terrorists would love to study the weaknesses of these choke
points and cause chaos in the Homeland. Furthermore, it is an infrared
image. That alone should raise red flags and sound alarms for any
security-aware citizen. Who needs this capability? Are not our CCDs with
red, white, and blue sensors good enough?

Perhaps it's time to ensure that photographers are fully qualified to
use the technology that America has given them. Some hopeless liberals
have stated that by default, photography in public should be allowed
with only a few exceptions. This is an open invitation for America's
many enemies to surveil and plot in the name of "art" or "journalism."

I call for all digital cameras to be fitted with devices that
automatically sense their location, pointing direction and orientation,
and automatically shut down in non-permitted sectors. This would prevent
any temptation to take pictures that do not extol, but denigrate this
nation whose freedoms we all cherish. This feature would also protect
American corporations' vital intellectual property, as well as certain
cloud formations which are copyrighted by AccuWeather, Inc.

Indirectly, photographers can place law enforcement and other government
personnel in an unflattering light by photographing so-called "abuses"
and publicizing the resulting treasonous images. These provocations
erode confidence in the System and must not be allowed.

Therefore I also call for the immediate licensure of all Americans
desiring to pursue the photographic arts. This includes testing on the
prospective photographer's motives and political standards, as well as
practical knowledge on what is permissible to photograph in the Homeland.

The President of course has ultimate discretion in how these rules are
to be enforced. In order to survive in a post-9/11 world, we must be
willing to go back to a pre-1215 world.

Now let's go out and take more flower pictures.

Corry
--
It Came From C. L. Smith's Unclaimed Mysteries.
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

"Shop as usual. And avoid panic buying." -Negativland
 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott Schuckert
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
In article <Xns97A4BF7145CEErgrinbergspamspam@203.87.95.150 >, RobG
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yay! Finally, an American with balls, who isn't afraid of the bogeyman.
> What the Western world doesn't realise is that every time someone has to
> stand in line for two hours before they board their aircraft, or subject
> themselves to personal examination, or apply for a card to get them in the
> door at work, or gets shut out from their favourite fishing spot because of
> 'terrorists'... well, the bad guys have won. If another bomb never explodes
> or another threat is never spoken, the bad guys have still won, just
> through the virtue of making us all jump through their hoops.


You know what I'd like to see? Have someone total up the money spent,
the man-hours wasted, the lost productivity of our "anti-terrorist"
precautions. Then compare the total to actual losses from terrorism.

Not in any way to diminish the loss and suffering of the original
victims, but I think we'd find 99% of the damage we did to ourselves.

I also don't buy that we've been 100% effective in preventing attacks
for the last five years. The governent just isn't that competent. What
a funny joke on us, to pull off a sucessful attack, the let us go on
and on, turning ourselves into the kind of restrictive society our
enemies would like to see us become.
 
Reply With Quote
 
tjab
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Photodan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hmmm. You've "surrendered your entire way of life" because you can't
>take photographs on the subway? Who's being paranoid? Thirty years ago
>I was taking some night shots at the U.S. Capitol. I was approached by
>two Capitol police officers and told that photography was illegal on
>Capitol grounds. They couldn't tell me why (and didn't have to) but,
>what the hell, there must have been a reason and I could live with
>that.


They lied, and you rolled over and wagged your tail.









 
Reply With Quote
 
J. Clarke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
tjab wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Photodan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Hmmm. You've "surrendered your entire way of life" because you can't
>>take photographs on the subway? Who's being paranoid? Thirty years ago
>>I was taking some night shots at the U.S. Capitol. I was approached by
>>two Capitol police officers and told that photography was illegal on
>>Capitol grounds. They couldn't tell me why (and didn't have to) but,
>>what the hell, there must have been a reason and I could live with
>>that.

>
> They lied, and you rolled over and wagged your tail.


Lemme guess, you're single and don't have a mortgage.



--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Photodan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
"They lied, and you rolled over and wagged your tail."

Stop being a little sissy and go photograph whatever you want. Weary of
you little New York whiners. And Unclaimed, your sarcasm is amusing and
I enjoyed your website. My God! We're all reduced to taking innocuous
pictures of flowers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
x2lls@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2006
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:07:22 GMT, Unclaimed Mysteries
<the_letter_k_and_the_numeral_4_doh@unclaimedmyste ries.net> wrote:

>Photodan wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. You've "surrendered your entire way of life" because you can't
>> take photographs on the subway? Who's being paranoid? Thirty years ago
>> I was taking some night shots at the U.S. Capitol. I was approached by
>> two Capitol police officers and told that photography was illegal on
>> Capitol grounds. They couldn't tell me why (and didn't have to) but,
>> what the hell, there must have been a reason and I could live with
>> that. Besides, I'd already taken some good shots before they got to me.
>>
>>
>> By the way, I live out here in middle America and I can assure you that
>> no fear or paranoia has descended on our area of the country.
>>
>> And RobG. Plenty of Americans who "aren't afraid of the bogeyman" and
>> the bad guys haven't won anything. Now I suggest you guys stop being
>> paranoid and get out and take some photographs.
>>

>
>Well done. 500 Patriot Points for YOU. Photodan is absolutely correct,
>but he isn't going far enough. With threats everywhere these days, I
>think it is important to prevent improper photography that might
>compromise our security - either directly or indirectly.
>
>Directly, improper photography reveals details of our nation's vital
>resources and infrastructure. For example this image:
>
>http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/images/skate_ir00.jpg
>
>presents several security issues. It seems harmless, a little
>amateurish. But look again. It shows an interstate highway ramp in the
>background. Terrorists would love to study the weaknesses of these choke
>points and cause chaos in the Homeland. Furthermore, it is an infrared
>image. That alone should raise red flags and sound alarms for any
>security-aware citizen. Who needs this capability? Are not our CCDs with
>red, white, and blue sensors good enough?
>
>Perhaps it's time to ensure that photographers are fully qualified to
>use the technology that America has given them. Some hopeless liberals
>have stated that by default, photography in public should be allowed
>with only a few exceptions. This is an open invitation for America's
>many enemies to surveil and plot in the name of "art" or "journalism."
>
>I call for all digital cameras to be fitted with devices that
>automatically sense their location, pointing direction and orientation,
>and automatically shut down in non-permitted sectors. This would prevent
>any temptation to take pictures that do not extol, but denigrate this
>nation whose freedoms we all cherish. This feature would also protect
>American corporations' vital intellectual property, as well as certain
>cloud formations which are copyrighted by AccuWeather, Inc.
>
>Indirectly, photographers can place law enforcement and other government
>personnel in an unflattering light by photographing so-called "abuses"
>and publicizing the resulting treasonous images. These provocations
>erode confidence in the System and must not be allowed.
>
>Therefore I also call for the immediate licensure of all Americans
>desiring to pursue the photographic arts. This includes testing on the
>prospective photographer's motives and political standards, as well as
>practical knowledge on what is permissible to photograph in the Homeland.
>
>The President of course has ultimate discretion in how these rules are
>to be enforced. In order to survive in a post-9/11 world, we must be
>willing to go back to a pre-1215 world.
>
>Now let's go out and take more flower pictures.
>
>Corry





Ummm......

I think you bin reading too much George Orwell.
What a load of rubbish....tsk tsk....

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you Got Questions? I bet We got Answers Leisure.201@gmail.com Javascript 1 04-28-2007 11:04 PM
friend of mine tells me don't bother getting an X2 on Home Edition, is he right? Ben Markson Computer Information 10 11-11-2005 10:53 AM
New trojan spam tells you where to download trojan as "MS beta antispy" Joel Rubin Computer Support 2 03-07-2005 02:26 AM
NYPD Blue wnated Lynda DVD Video 0 05-19-2004 12:12 PM
NYPD Blue JMas493 DVD Video 2 05-18-2004 05:37 PM



Advertisments