Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How imporrtant is high ISO noise?

How imporrtant is high ISO noise?

Freedom55

I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.

Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.

Ron
--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right

Lennon & McCartney

Dan

Question is , are you going to shot in ISO 1600? And if you are is it
going to the the type of photography that a little noise would make a
difference. Plus there is only an option to use noise reduction
software. Otherwise the E-500 looks like a top notch cam for it's price
range and lenses it comes with. Plus looking into the future, the four
thirds system is going to have a lot of lenses coming out for it with so
many manufactures adopting it. So more lenses, more competition, lower
prices.. It's all good.

Freedom55 wrote:
> I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
> particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
> reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
> other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>
> Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
> it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.
>
> Ron

Kinon O'Cann

"Freedom55" <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:vd4%f.58718$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
>particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
>reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than other
>amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>
> Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
> it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.

Do not underestimate the importance of low noise at high speeds! Nobody ever
believed it was important until they had the chance to use it. Once you see
the results, you're addicted. I was converted to a true believer after I
shot a hockey game at 3200 and got better results than another shooter was
getting at 800.

Go for the lower noise option, you won't regret it. Also, it's not like
there's a big downside to choosing the lower noise camera, is there?

> Ron
> --
> And it really doesn't matter if
> I'm wrong I'm right
> Where I belong I'm right
> Where I belong.
>
> Lennon & McCartney

Jem Raid

"Freedom55" <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:vd4%f.58718$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
>particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
>reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than other
>amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>
> Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
> it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.
>
> Ron
> --
> And it really doesn't matter if
> I'm wrong I'm right
> Where I belong I'm right
> Where I belong.
>
> Lennon & McCartney

Gritty prints are fine;

I've just written an article for AlternativePhotography.com
The proof version is here;
http://www.jrbham.btinternet.co.uk/malin/index.html

Jem

-------------------------------------
Birmingham Independent Photographers
http://bip.wikispaces.com/

ant

Freedom55" <"joinertake this out wrote:
> I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
> particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
> reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
> other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.

My new Panasonic FZ30's second name is "noise", apparently!
For low light/low ISO.
It did struggle in late afternoon during winter, taking action shots of a
dog on snow; the snow was blue and the dog was dark and there was noise in
its fur.... I'll have to fiddle and see if I can come up with better
settings to fix that, but feel that much can be done with manual settings to
help with the issue.

--
ant

remove

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:00:59 GMT, Freedom55 <"joinertake this
out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
>particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
>reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
>other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>
>Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
>it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.
>
>Ron

Ron,

After looking and comparing photos for over 6 months, I chose to buy a
Canon 30D. I've only shot about 100 "test" photos so far, but I'm
blown away by the low noise levels at ISO 1600 and 3200. (the shots
at 3200 look much better than the shots at 400 with a Minolts S404).

One of my main concerns was being able to shoot indoors without flash,
so if you want to use a camera under low light conditions without
flash (see thread above about flash use), noise is a major issue.

That being said, from what I have seen, the Rebel XT is almost as
good as the 20D/30D if you can't stretch your budget that far.

HTH
Bill

Freedom55

remove wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:00:59 GMT, Freedom55 <"joinertake this
> out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>> I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
>> particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
>> reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
>> other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>>
>> Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
>> it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.
>>
>> Ron

> Ron,
>
> After looking and comparing photos for over 6 months, I chose to buy a
> Canon 30D. I've only shot about 100 "test" photos so far, but I'm
> blown away by the low noise levels at ISO 1600 and 3200. (the shots
> at 3200 look much better than the shots at 400 with a Minolts S404).
>
> One of my main concerns was being able to shoot indoors without flash,
> so if you want to use a camera under low light conditions without
> flash (see thread above about flash use), noise is a major issue.
>
> That being said, from what I have seen, the Rebel XT is almost as
> good as the 20D/30D if you can't stretch your budget that far.
>
> HTH
> Bill

Yes, I have seen the difference between the Rebel and the E-500 at 1600
ISO (Steve's Digicams), and I'll be honest, I don't see a huge
difference and 4X6 prints at 1600 ISO look acceptable to me.

Ron

--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong.

Lennon & McCartney

Justus Lipsius

Jem Raid bedacht in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Freedom55" <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:vd4%f.58718$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
>>particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
>>reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
>>other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>>
>> Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer
>> is it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.
>>
>> Ron
>> --
>> And it really doesn't matter if
>> I'm wrong I'm right
>> Where I belong I'm right
>> Where I belong.
>>
>> Lennon & McCartney

> Gritty prints are fine;
>
> I've just written an article for AlternativePhotography.com
> The proof version is here;
> http://www.jrbham.btinternet.co.uk/malin/index.html
>
> Jem
>

> -------------------------------------
> Birmingham Independent Photographers
> http://bip.wikispaces.com/

But high ISO noise isn't about gritty prints. It's about losing detail in
critical areas. And that's very annoying.

JL

Shawn Hirn

In article <vd4%f.58718$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Freedom55 <"joinertake this out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
> particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
> reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
> other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>
> Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
> it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.

This depends on you. What type of lighting do you expect to shoot in? If
you expect to shoot photos in very low light without a flash on a
regular basis, that issue is probably relevant. If your interest is
shooting outdoor photos in daylight, then you're unlikely to ever need
to shoot photos at 1600 ISO.

Rich

out"@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I am looking at a couple of amateur DSLRs (Rebel XT, D70, D50) and
>particularly like the Olympus E-500, especially the 2 lens kit. Every
>reviewer I read comments that noise is evident (or somewhat more than
>other amateur DSLRs) at 1600 ISO with the E-500.
>
>Should that be a factor in my decision to buy? I know that the answer is
>it depends. For example I am not interested in action photography.
>
>Ron

It is SO important that it is impossible to take a photo with a camera
with any noise without suffering extreme mental anguish. Also, NO
picture is EVER taken below 1600 ISO so you MUST have an absolutely
noise-free camera!