Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > digital newbie...shutter lag ?

digital newbie...shutter lag ?

y_p_w

Barry L. Wallis wrote:
> > On 10 Apr 2006 18:30:39 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >

> >>Hi all..newbie here. We purchased an olympus 810 digital camera for an
> >>upcoming vacation. While playing around last night we noticed on some
> >>quick shots (1,2,3 cheese) there was lag time after pressing the
> >>button to shoot the picture. Thus missing the image we wanted to
> >>capture. We were like 2 seconds behind real time.
> >>
> >>Are all digital cameras like this? I didn't think so. Anything we can
> >>change in the settings or maybe a different model would respond
> >>quicker?
> >>
> >>Thanks in advance...
> >>
> >>DC

> > Read the manual..........Prefocus to reduce the shutter lag.
> > You should be able to get the lag down to 1/10 of a second.
> > The newer cameras are getting quicker and quicker all the time.

> Also, consider setting your camera to take multiple pictures when you
> press the shutter (I can take multiple pictures per second, if needed).
> That way you can pick the best one. I had this on my Minolta Maxxum SLR
> (not digital) and would never give it up (especially when I don't have
> to pay a photo processing charge).
>
> That's how I was able to get this shot:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrywallis/126719668/

While I do use such a mode, I find that sometimes it will give
priority to getting the shot over focus accuracy. I've bursted
12 shots for a group picture (Hey! You blinked.) and sometimes
the lens moves slightly in and out of focus.

Barry L. Wallis

y_p_w wrote:
> Barry L. Wallis wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>Read the manual..........Prefocus to reduce the shutter lag.
>>>You should be able to get the lag down to 1/10 of a second.
>>>The newer cameras are getting quicker and quicker all the time.

>>Also, consider setting your camera to take multiple pictures when you
>>press the shutter (I can take multiple pictures per second, if needed).
>>That way you can pick the best one. I had this on my Minolta Maxxum SLR
>>(not digital) and would never give it up (especially when I don't have
>>to pay a photo processing charge).
>>
>>That's how I was able to get this shot:
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrywallis/126719668/

> While I do use such a mode, I find that sometimes it will give
> priority to getting the shot over focus accuracy. I've bursted
> 12 shots for a group picture (Hey! You blinked.) and sometimes
> the lens moves slightly in and out of focus.

That's one problem I haven't had yet. The photo referenced above was
taken with an ancient 1mp Casio QV-8000. If there was a focusing problem
it would have been obvious as the coaster approached me and there didn't
seem to be any problems. I haven't tried this same shot with my current
Coolpix 8800, but it's on my list the next time I go to Disney's
California Adventure (probably in a few weeks).

--
- Barry

mookytc@yahoo.com

good advice...thanks for not flaming all. Like I said newb to digital
cameras. This got us started and now we can play while we go through
the manual.

Thanks again...

DC

TheBreeze

"y_p_w" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> LCD has almost nothing to do with it. The vast majority of shutter
> lag is from autofocus delay. dSLRs simply focus and lock much
> faster than point & shoot consumer digicams. The typical 35mm lens
> will focus almost instantly. My (consumer level) Canon PowerShot S1
> IS has a manual focus mode. With manual focus, after adjusting for
> white balance and calculating shutter speed or aperature, shutter
> delay is almost imperceptable, LCD on or not.

This is what I discovered. If I focus on the area I want, then change to
manual focus from auto, there was no lag. I learned that in time for
wrestling season...wish I'd known during last year's track season for
shooting high jumps (but I did get good at anticipating the moment of jump
by sighting with one eye and keeping the other open to track the jumper's
approach).

Gary Hendricks

Hi DC

1) Shutter lag is inherent in all digital cameras (more so in some than
others). The higher end models tend to have very good response though.

2) The problem with shutter lag is that it hits you with a delay in
capturing the image. What I usually is to use the self timer instead -
especially if I'm using a low-end camera.

3) The other thing you can try of course, is to use a tripod. The
tripod is one of the most underused photographic peices of equipment in
the market - especially by newbies.

If you are interested in finding out more about taking good photos, be
sure to check out this link:

http://www.basic-digital-photography...ng-photos.html

Best Regards
Gary Hendricks
http://www.basic-digital-photography.com

MB

Shutter lag of the Olympus 800 is 7/10 of a second. I don't have data on
the 810.

Shutter lag is of primary importance when you're deciding which camera to
buy. If you're going to be photographing buildings or landscapes, sl can be
as high as 7/10 or even longer (some cameras have sl of 1 second!). If
children or animals--anything moving--are your subjects, you should buy a
camera with a much shorter sl. You have to do a bit of research of the
tests to find out what the sl of the one or other camera is.

I like Olympus very much-- my first DC was an Olympus P&S. Shutter lag of
the P&S cameras is Olympus's greatest weakness, though.

Beck

"MB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e1nhuq$m0k$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Shutter lag of the Olympus 800 is 7/10 of a second. I don't have data on
> the 810.
>
> Shutter lag is of primary importance when you're deciding which camera to
> buy. If you're going to be photographing buildings or landscapes, sl can
> be as high as 7/10 or even longer (some cameras have sl of 1 second!). If
> children or animals--anything moving--are your subjects, you should buy a
> camera with a much shorter sl. You have to do a bit of research of the
> tests to find out what the sl of the one or other camera is.
>
> I like Olympus very much-- my first DC was an Olympus P&S. Shutter lag of
> the P&S cameras is Olympus's greatest weakness, though.

I agree about the shutter lag on some Olympus. I had the C720 which was a
fine camera and took great pictures (imo) but the shutter lag was dire. The
activity would be gone before I could capture it.