Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon coolscan 4000 and black / white scans

Nikon coolscan 4000 and black / white scans

Adam

Hi All,

I am getting very poor results when scanning black & white 35mm film using a
Nikon coolscan 4000.

I get the same results when using the nikon software (Nikon scan 4.0.2) and
Vuescan v8.1.5.

Digital ICE has been disabled.

I have been qite happy with the results obtained from colour prints but
black & white .... very grainy and lacking contrast.

Is there something obviuos I could be missing ?

Thanks,
Adam

Raphael Bustin

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:52:17 GMT, "Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am getting very poor results when scanning black & white 35mm film using a
>Nikon coolscan 4000.
>
>I get the same results when using the nikon software (Nikon scan 4.0.2) and
>Vuescan v8.1.5.
>
>Digital ICE has been disabled.
>
>I have been qite happy with the results obtained from colour prints but
>black & white .... very grainy and lacking contrast.
>
>Is there something obviuos I could be missing ?

Scan as positives, invert in Photoshop, or using the Curves tool
within NikonScan.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com