Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D50, is it even worth it?

Nikon D50, is it even worth it?

Paul Rubin

ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Congratulations! But several weeks is a long time to admire your
> D50 without being able to use it at all. I don't know what very
> small (such as 32MB or 64MB) used memory cards go for on eBay or
> other places, but they should be *very* inexpensive.

I got a 32mb card for something like $5.95 at Rite-aid last month.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > What do you think about Transcend 4GB SD for D50?
> > I am thinking about this one but i wonder it would work with D50.

> According to this list, yes:
>
> http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/...tail&FAQNo=400

according to rob galbraith, no:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7905

Rina

There's nothing wrong with being a beginner... but you did say that you had
a 35 mm, so you aren't a complete newbie. <grin>

I'm sorry, I certainly didn't mean that you were not smart, it's just that
you had asked so many questions about purchasing the D50, then hopped in and
asked how much does a lens cost. It just seemed like a not so sensible
question. Maybe if you had asked earlier, for example, if you came here
saying that you are thinking of buying a certain camera, How much will a
lens for this cost...

What I said was you are beginning to sound like a troll... a troll is
someone who asks silly questions just for the sake of being heard, or being
funny.

Usually when people ask questions, they have done some shopping and ask
specific questions about products from users of those products.

Those of us who have D50's have tried to help you make your decision, but
you need to do some of the work yourself. Have you browsed through
http://www.dpreview.com/ or http://www.steves-digicams.com/ these sites have
lots of good info.

For the sake of simplicity, A VR lens is "vibration reduction lens" helps
take sharper pictures, some cameras have image stabilization built into the
camera, Nikon is beginning to offer some lenses with the stabilization built
into the lens... Nice, but expensive.

I hope you decide soon, so you can enjoy using this nice camera.

Rina

"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ok I am a beginner, so you might have to be a little more clear on what
> a VR lens is. Oh, and what do you mean by my sounding like a troll?
> Just becasue I don't know much about something doesnt give you the
> right to imply that I am stupid. If I knew what was up, I wouldnt be
> here asking for help.

sgtdisturbed

Incompatible with 4 gig SD cards? Awe man that sucks. Well, I guess the
camera can't be perfect. Well, it turns on and everything, had a litle
trouble with the battery (it looks almost exactly like my camcorer
battery), as it kept popping out from the bottom every now and again,
and then I pushed the door a little harder 'till it actually snapped, I
guess I was being too gentle with it. Uhm, doesn't this camera have
some kind of built-in memory? When I took some pictures and tried to
hook it up my computer, I clicked on the camera when it became
available in the My Computer field, but only the SD card drive showed
up. Is there a setting on the camera that I have to change? I can't
find any setting to use the built-in memory.

Rina

Great! But how can you stand to wait that long? Which lens did you decide
on?

When I bought my camera for Christmas, I made myself wait till the "opening
of the gifts"... it was torture, but I did take the battery out and charge
it. So it was ready to go when I opened my "surprise" Ha Ha.

Umm... do you realize that you can change the settings so that you can take
a picture without the sd card? of course you can't do anything with it, but
it's good fun. That's how they have the demo cameras setup in the stores.

[Press menu, use left <- toggle down to the icon that looks like a pencil,
04 "No SD Card, enable the release] when you get a card, be sure to change
the setting back to "LOCK"

Have fun

Rina

"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ok, well, for now, I will let this question die, since I bought it
> today. It feels perfect in my hands, and operates seamlessly. I cant
> even notice any shutter release lag that I used to get with my Nikon
> N55 film SLR, it is instant, and feels smooth as silk when the shutter
> releases, unlike the N55 where the shutter would shake the camera a
> good bit. I love it, but I cant say anything about picture quality yet,
> as I haven't bought a memory card. I will have to buy the memory card
> in a couple of weeks when I get more money.

Rina

OK, so you did find the setting for the SD card...

The built in memory is for the camera settings, date & time, custom setups,
etc. The memory holds those setting when you remove the battery.

You are one step ahead of me... I've never tried to connect my camera to my
computer. I never even opened the little door, until now. (I use a card
reader)

Rina

"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>Uhm, doesn't this camera have
> some kind of built-in memory? When I took some pictures and tried to
> hook it up my computer, I clicked on the camera when it became
> available in the My Computer field, but only the SD card drive showed
> up. Is there a setting on the camera that I have to change? I can't
> find any setting to use the built-in memory.

sgtdisturbed

Well, I bought a 256 meg sd card, and took a couple of pics. In raw
format, they look flawless, but once I saved them to JPEG they took a
digital beating and look a little less awesome. Here they are:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...bed47/leaf.jpg and
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...7/6ed6a223.jpg

sgtdisturbed

The lens that came with it is a 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6. It doesn't seem to
have a great zoom, and doesn't give a very wide angle, but I think it
will work for now.

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2006 02:01:45 -0700, sgtdisturbed wrote:
>
> > Ok, well, for now, I will let this question die, since I bought it
> > today. It feels perfect in my hands, and operates seamlessly. I cant
> > even notice any shutter release lag that I used to get with my Nikon
> > N55 film SLR, it is instant, and feels smooth as silk when the shutter
> > releases, unlike the N55 where the shutter would shake the camera a
> > good bit. I love it, but I cant say anything about picture quality yet,
> > as I haven't bought a memory card. I will have to buy the memory card
> > in a couple of weeks when I get more money.

> Congratulations! But several weeks is a long time to admire your
> D50 without being able to use it at all. I don't know what very
> small (such as 32MB or 64MB) used memory cards go for on eBay or
> other places, but they should be *very* inexpensive. One of them
> would give you a chance to play with the camera, and more
> importantly, check it out in case there's anything wrong with it.
> If there is, I'd much rather have it replaced with a new camera from
> the store that sold it to me than to have to wait for Nikon to
> repair it or, more likely, take a few weeks or more to replace it
> with a refurbished camera.

This is true.

When I got my D70s I found that it was faulty, but only in one respect
-- the wireless communications with an off-camera SB-600 flash was not
working. I spent hours trying to figure out what I'd done wrong and
took it back to the store the next day. The salesman looked at me like
I was stupid but allowed that he'd "had that feature working once but it
was tricky", but was busy with people who, like, y'know, might actually
buy something (I wasn't a customer any more, having already handed over
my money) but he'd have a look when he got a few spare minutes. I asked
him to hand me the display D70 and SB600 while I was waiting. Two
minute slater I had the display D70s and display flash working
wirelessly (proving that I *had* understood the manual correctly) and
had my flash working with the display camera, but my camera wouldn't
make either flash work. I got a bit more respect then.

If you have a fault like this then it's *really* important to be able to
take it back right away. That resulted in an immediate swap of my box
of goodies for another box off the shelf, and the original one returned
to Nikon as DOA.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The lens that came with it is a 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6. It doesn't seem to
> have a great zoom, and doesn't give a very wide angle,

Yes, that's what we told you.

> but I think it will work for now.

Have fun!

--