Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can't format new Microdrive on Coolpix 5000

Can't format new Microdrive on Coolpix 5000

dmcg

I recently picked up a 4.0 GB Sandisk Microdrive for my hardly used
CP5K,
but am unable to format it. I thought the camera was MicroDrive
compatible,
so I'm not sure where the porblem lies Any suggestions for getting the
card
and camera to communicate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

- Dennis

Astigmatic Owl

"dmcg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I recently picked up a 4.0 GB Sandisk Microdrive for my hardly used
> CP5K,
> but am unable to format it. I thought the camera was MicroDrive
> compatible,
> so I'm not sure where the porblem lies Any suggestions for getting the
> card
> and camera to communicate would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Dennis

I suspect the camera is limited to FAT16 which would limit it to 3GB, if I'm
not mistaken.

RW+/-

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 20:15:34 -0700, Astigmatic Owl wrote:

> "dmcg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I recently picked up a 4.0 GB Sandisk Microdrive for my hardly used
>> CP5K,
>> but am unable to format it. I thought the camera was MicroDrive
>> compatible,
>> so I'm not sure where the porblem lies Any suggestions for getting the
>> card
>> and camera to communicate would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Dennis

> I suspect the camera is limited to FAT16 which would limit it to 3GB, if I'm
> not mistaken.

Interesting... I believe it is actually 2GB and since the camera probably
cannot format other than root drives the only option would be to format it
on a computer and format extended drives on that and see if the camera
would pick it up. Somehow I doubt it, and I know nothing of Nikon Digital
cams.

The OP should check out Nikon FAQS, or RTFM.