Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D50 photo orientation

Nikon D50 photo orientation

CHRIS KIDD

Thanks to all - Dave was closest - if the Canon S50 photos has the photo
orientation read correctly by various software (including MS windows), why
do the images taken with the D50 not behave in the same way? As he said, it
would seem that there is inconsistancy in the way the orientation code is
imbedded in the image file...

Chris

"CHRIS KIDD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g42_f.19148$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in
> windows explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my
> Canon S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?
>
> Thanks - Chris

Ed Ruf

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:35:34 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "CHRIS KIDD"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks to all - Dave was closest - if the Canon S50 photos has the photo
>orientation read correctly by various software (including MS windows), why
>do the images taken with the D50 not behave in the same way? As he said, it
>would seem that there is inconsistancy in the way the orientation code is
>imbedded in the image file...

You've not said what file format(s) you are talking about, nor the
method used to transfer the files. Both of these can have an effect of
what you are seeing.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Don Stauffer

CHRIS KIDD wrote:
> Thanks to all - Dave was closest - if the Canon S50 photos has the photo
> orientation read correctly by various software (including MS windows), why
> do the images taken with the D50 not behave in the same way? As he said, it
> would seem that there is inconsistancy in the way the orientation code is
> imbedded in the image file...

Makes me wonder how the camera senses the orientation. Must be a
pendulum. I can't believe they use a gyro just for that.

ASAAR

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:02:04 -0500, Don Stauffer wrote:

> Makes me wonder how the camera senses the orientation. Must be a
> pendulum. I can't believe they use a gyro just for that.

Possibly, but it would be simpler, more reliable and quieter with
a mercury switch. Use two and it would also work upside down! If a
gyro was used the camera could have a better IS system. <g>