Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D50 photo orientation

Nikon D50 photo orientation

CHRIS KIDD

Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

Thanks - Chris

ace

in windows, you can go to the preview window and you have the option of
rotating clockwise and counter clock wise.

John McWilliams

CHRIS KIDD wrote:
> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

Photoshop does this automatically, and I rather suspect that Elements
can, too. Both are available for 30 day trials at the adobe site.

--
john mcwilliams

Dave Cohen

"ace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> in windows, you can go to the preview window and you have the option of
> rotating clockwise and counter clock wise.

Yes, we all know you can rotate an image, but that wasn't the op's question.
Dave Cohen

jimbok

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 06:45:32 GMT, "CHRIS KIDD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
>out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
>explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
>S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

There is really nothing to "sort out." Viewing/editing programs
either have a 'rotate by EXIF flag orientation' feature programmed
into them, or they do not. Many current viewers have that feature,
some don't. If you are using a viewer that does not, then manual
rotation will be required.

--
jimbok

Don Stauffer

CHRIS KIDD wrote:
> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?
>
> Thanks - Chris

There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
camera will record orientation.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>CHRIS KIDD wrote:
>> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
>> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
>> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
>> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

>There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
>camera will record orientation.

Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
dumb to read and use the tag.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Dave Cohen

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>CHRIS KIDD wrote:
>>> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software
>>> sorts
>>> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in
>>> windows
>>> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
>>> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

>>There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
>>camera will record orientation.

> Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
> portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
> D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
> dumb to read and use the tag.
> --
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

I think the question is: the same software fails to automatically rotate a
D50 image but does rotate his Canon S50 images. This is disappointing
insofar as it suggests this feature is not following some sort of standard.
Dave Cohen

RW+/-

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:48:49 -0400, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
wrote:

> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>CHRIS KIDD wrote:
>>> Hi - just have a new D50 and notice that although the Nikon software sorts
>>> out the orientation, other software doesn't (e.g. the thumbnails in windows
>>> explorer, Corel photopaint...) - in contrast to photos taken on my Canon
>>> S50. Does anyone know how to sort this out?

>>There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
>>camera will record orientation.

> Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
> portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
> D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
> dumb to read and use the tag.

Dumb?

Windows does what it was written to do at the point and time the code was
written. A smart person would recognize that.

Dan

RW+/- wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 14:48:49 -0400, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:03:35 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Don Stauffer
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> There is an option deep in the 'custom' menus for setting whether the
>>> camera will record orientation.

>> Which must be set as he says the Nikon software correctly orients the
>> portrait images. Also the default setting for image rotation in the D50,
>> D70(s) and D200 is auto so it's on by default. Windoze thumbnails are too
>> dumb to read and use the tag.

> Dumb?
>
> Windows does what it was written to do at the point and time the code was
> written. A smart person would recognize that.

Windows is dumb. Unlike Apple (i'm not mac user) who bring useful
updates to their OS at regular intervals with features users need and
want. Micro$oft bring out security patches that should have been fixed
in the first place and no new features. Cause they don't care about you.
Never did. XP is old and EXIF standard was available way before that.

Thankfully there are alternatives. You can use Picasa for your image
previews. RAW might be a problem but you might be able to find RAW addon
for explorer. I found one by Microsoft but it only supported Canon
formats. Might be updated now. Adobe Bridge is nice but it feels less
responsive. So far i have found most problems having problem in one area
or the other. The search continues.