Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > sigma 70-200 f/2.8 sharpness wide open

sigma 70-200 f/2.8 sharpness wide open

jullagathotmaildotcom

HI photo fans,
i own a canon 350D (rebel XT on the other side of the atlantic) since
last november. it came with the supposedly crappy kit lens (18-55mm).
last week, after reading many positive reviews about this lens i bought
the sigma ex dg 70-200mm f2.8.
today i've ran a comparative test: canon ef-s 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 @ 55mm
vs sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 200mm, at various apertures, on the same
subject (although obviously at a different distance).
I've made a collage out of all the (previously cropped) pics i've
obtained, it's here:
http://genome.imim.es/~jlagarde/lens...igma_canon.jpg
(sorry for the lousy layout) (the canon is in the first row, the sigma
in the three others)

Conclusion of the test:
- I must own a very good copy of the canon lens. in my opinion the
images are very sharp across the whole range of apertures tested. What
do experts think?
- my sigma is basically unusable when opened wider than, say, f/5.6,
and it never outperforms the canon lens, although it DEFINITELY should
given its price!

anyone here uses the sigma 70-200 lens? if so, what do you think? does
it look like a bad copy (in such case i'd go back to the shop asap to
get another one if it's possible), or do you get the same kind of
(disappointing) pictures with yours?

i'm looking forward to reading your opinions.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
thanks
julien

Eatmorepies

> Conclusion of the test:
> - I must own a very good copy of the canon lens. in my opinion the
> images are very sharp across the whole range of apertures tested. What
> do experts think?
> - my sigma is basically unusable when opened wider than, say, f/5.6,
> and it never outperforms the canon lens, although it DEFINITELY should
> given its price!

I have the 350D and the kit lens - I find the kit lens is quite sharp when
stopped down to f8, but it's a bit slow to focus.

I bought the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L. It's a lot of money but can be used at
f2.8: and at f2.8 it's very sharp. It focuses swiftly, gives excellent
colour saturation, no CA (that I can see) and has a second hand value of
about 90% of it's new price if you find you don't use it much. Why buy
anything else?

You've spent a lot on an excellent body - don't let it down with a cheap
lens. Also, you will use your lenses on your next body. Don't stint on the
lenses.

As for Sigma, I've no experience so I can't help you there.

John

Jim

It isn't surprising that a canon lens can outperform a sigma lens.
Jim
"jullagathotmaildotcom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> HI photo fans,
> i own a canon 350D (rebel XT on the other side of the atlantic) since
> last november. it came with the supposedly crappy kit lens (18-55mm).
> last week, after reading many positive reviews about this lens i bought
> the sigma ex dg 70-200mm f2.8.
> today i've ran a comparative test: canon ef-s 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 @ 55mm
> vs sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 200mm, at various apertures, on the same
> subject (although obviously at a different distance).
> I've made a collage out of all the (previously cropped) pics i've
> obtained, it's here:
> http://genome.imim.es/~jlagarde/lens...igma_canon.jpg
> (sorry for the lousy layout) (the canon is in the first row, the sigma
> in the three others)
>
> Conclusion of the test:
> - I must own a very good copy of the canon lens. in my opinion the
> images are very sharp across the whole range of apertures tested. What
> do experts think?
> - my sigma is basically unusable when opened wider than, say, f/5.6,
> and it never outperforms the canon lens, although it DEFINITELY should
> given its price!
>
> anyone here uses the sigma 70-200 lens? if so, what do you think? does
> it look like a bad copy (in such case i'd go back to the shop asap to
> get another one if it's possible), or do you get the same kind of
> (disappointing) pictures with yours?
>
> i'm looking forward to reading your opinions.
> Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
> thanks
> julien

Paul J Gans

jullagathotmaildotcom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>HI photo fans,
>i own a canon 350D (rebel XT on the other side of the atlantic) since
>last november. it came with the supposedly crappy kit lens (18-55mm).
>last week, after reading many positive reviews about this lens i bought
>the sigma ex dg 70-200mm f2.8.
>today i've ran a comparative test: canon ef-s 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 @ 55mm
>vs sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 @ 200mm, at various apertures, on the same
>subject (although obviously at a different distance).
>I've made a collage out of all the (previously cropped) pics i've
>obtained, it's here:
>http://genome.imim.es/~jlagarde/lens...igma_canon.jpg
>(sorry for the lousy layout) (the canon is in the first row, the sigma
>in the three others)

>Conclusion of the test:
>- I must own a very good copy of the canon lens. in my opinion the
>images are very sharp across the whole range of apertures tested. What
>do experts think?
>- my sigma is basically unusable when opened wider than, say, f/5.6,
>and it never outperforms the canon lens, although it DEFINITELY should
>given its price!

>anyone here uses the sigma 70-200 lens? if so, what do you think? does
>it look like a bad copy (in such case i'd go back to the shop asap to
>get another one if it's possible), or do you get the same kind of
>(disappointing) pictures with yours?

>i'm looking forward to reading your opinions.
>Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
>thanks
>julien

Why did you decide that the kit lens was lousy?

Nobody has ever claimed that it was the equal of a
Canon "L" lens, but for what it costs it is a very
credible lens.

It is reasonably sharp, focuses reasonably rapidly, and
covers a range roughly equivalent to 28mm to 90mm on a
35mm camera body, which is a nice "walking around" range.
And it is reasonably light.

As with anything else in photography, read reviews, but check
for yourself, especially on religious issues. There are some
people who will never like any lens costing less than $1000.

---- Paul J. Gans

cooline18@gmail.com

Recommend a software about Photo Collage to photo fans.
In my understanding it's powerful and easy to use.

Wondershare Photo Collage Studio is a digital photo collage utility
that assembles favorite photos into an artistic compilation. With Photo
Collage Studio, you can make great photo collages, either quickly and
easily - with photo frames and special mask effect, or creatively -
with rich Cliparts and Wordarts to choose from. And each masterpiece
can be printed over and over again.

In part of demos at:
http://www.photo-collage-software.co...lage-demo.html
Download trial version URL:
http://download.photo-collage-softwa...pcls_trial.exe

More info please visitor the product's homepage:

www.photo-collage-software.com

Good software,Share together! ^_^
cooline

jullagathotmaildotcom

funny enough i did use a demo version of photocollage to do this and to
put it VERY mildly i think it's definitely not the most powerful piece
of software i've ever seen.

moving pictures around takes about 700MB of RAM (no kidding), which
makes ANY manipulation cumbersome at the very least
- the quality of the jpeg output compression is terrible and there's no
way to set this up.
- other little annoying things like when adding a text box it's always
added by default in the upper left corner, and again, no way to modify
this behaviour; no ruler to align input images in the collage...
anyway, this is a bit off-topic here in this thread i think
best,
julien