Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Need a Ballhead for Bogen 3001

Need a Ballhead for Bogen 3001

l e o

Any suggestion for a good ballhead that can hold a Canon 20D + 300mm
lens? It will be used on Bogen 3001 tripod. Thanks.

Scott W

l e o wrote:
> Any suggestion for a good ballhead that can hold a Canon 20D + 300mm
> lens? It will be used on Bogen 3001 tripod. Thanks.

I have the 322RC2 head coming in sometime Monday and will be putting a
20D with 300mm lens on it. I will let you know how it works out.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I have the 3001BD tripod.

Scott

Richard Kaszeta

l e o <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Any suggestion for a good ballhead that can hold a Canon 20D + 300mm
> lens? It will be used on Bogen 3001 tripod. Thanks.

I *wouldn't* recommend what I use, a Bogen 3265 quick-release grip.
It's really nice, but a 20D+300mm is on the ragged edge of what's
stable on that head.

One of my friends has a 322RC2 grip (with the sideways grip), and that
one I'd trust, however.

--
Richard W Kaszeta
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

l e o wrote:
> Any suggestion for a good ballhead that can hold a Canon 20D + 300mm
> lens? It will be used on Bogen 3001 tripod. Thanks.

I suggest a good quality ball head, like a Bogen B1 as a minimum.
That way once you decide the Bogen 3001 tripod is too light
and flimsy for 300mm (an in my opinion it is), then when
you upgrade tripods, you will not have to spend more money
and upgrade the head too.

When getting into telephoto lenses, it is my opinion that
you should get good quick release plates that have stops
to prevent the lens from sliding out of the clamp when
the clamp is loosened. This becomes important when
you want to balance the system. I use Wimberly clamps
and plates: http://www.tripodhead.com

For telephoto work, the Wimberly sidekick is nice for
small lenses like the 300 f/4. The problem with ball
or pan heads is that the camera will flop over when the
movements are loosened, which you must do to follow
action. The Wimberly class heads allow completely
loose operation and the lens and camera can be balanced
so when you let go, the camera stays pointed at the same
spot.

When you decide to upgrade tripods, consider carbon fiber.
Carbon fiber damps vibrations well, which is very important
in telephoto work. For 300 mm lenses, Gitzo 1228 class tripods
work very well.

Roger
photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com