Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Coolscan 5000 - the last film scanner from Nikon?

Coolscan 5000 - the last film scanner from Nikon?

jameshamilton777@hotmail.com

I'm about to buy a Coolscan 5000, I've been holding off for 5 years (!)

I didn't want to have to scan my films more than once (about 4000
photos). So I figured I'd wait until I could afford the best scanner.

The 5000 has came down in price in the UK to about 700 so I can about
afford one.

Is their any speculation as to whether this will the the last Nikon
scanner, or whether there will be a new model? I am presuming that any
improvement would be to 5000 dpi which would be nice, although probably
unnecessary with my hand held 200 - 400 ISO shots.

m Ransley

I can`t think they would stop making scanners, Im sure it is a fast
growing market. Everyone with film who is going digital as I have now
needs to store old film. They should just get better and cheaper every
year as all electronics do.

Bill Tuthill

> I'm about to buy a Coolscan 5000, I've been holding off for 5 years (!)
> I didn't want to have to scan my films more than once (about 4000
> photos). So I figured I'd wait until I could afford the best scanner.

This is one of the faster scanners.

> The 5000 has came down in price in the UK to about 700 so I can about
> afford one.

Yes, I see it's < $1000 in the US now.

> Is their any speculation as to whether this will the the last Nikon
> scanner, or whether there will be a new model? I am presuming that any
> improvement would be to 5000 dpi which would be nice, although probably
> unnecessary with my hand held 200 - 400 ISO shots.

With no competition, Minolta having given up on the photography business
and Canon not having released a film scanner in years since the FS-4000,
I don't see why Nikon would introduce a new line of scanners.

The Minolta 5400 didn't have any significant resolution advantage
over the 4000 dpi Nikons, so I don't believe 5000 dpi is necessary.

However a flatbed scanner could, at some point, offer comparable quality
with more flexibility for medium format etc. Currently flatbed scanners
are a bit behind, plus the don't have slide loading and neg feeding
attachments.