Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > OT - Google gone wild

OT - Google gone wild

salgud

If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are not any
envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I click on the
envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic view. Nothing new or
missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?

John McWilliams

salgud wrote:
> If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
> Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
> I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
> left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are not any
> envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I click on the
> envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic view. Nothing new or
> missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
> It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
> that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?

The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??

--
John McWilliams

salgud

John McWilliams wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
> > Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
> > I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
> > left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are not any
> > envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I click on the
> > envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic view. Nothing new or
> > missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
> > It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
> > that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?
> >

> The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Thanks for your critique of my choice.

Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?

dtype

salgud wrote:
> If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
> Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
> I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
> left of the screen, a star and an envelope.

I've noticed this too, but they both go to the same link, so I'm
guessing that the feature isn't yet implemented. It is odd that they'd
throw that icon in there with no use though.

If I had to hazard a guess it looks like they might be readying some
sort of feature to store/archive posts or threads (as a
shot-from-the-hip based upon the icon). We'll find out eventually.

-drew

John McWilliams

salgud wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>
>>salgud wrote:
>>
>>>If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
>>>Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
>>>I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
>>>left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are not any
>>>envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I click on the
>>>envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic view. Nothing new or
>>>missing. Did they attempt to add a feature and just not get it right?
>>>It is mentioned in the help screens, but nothing subsantive and nothing
>>>that tells how to use this supposed "feature". Anyone know?
>>>

>>The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??
>>

> Thanks for your critique of my choice.
>
> Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?

Are you able and willing to answer the question?

--
John McWilliams

salgud

dtype wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
> > Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of one,
> > I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at the top
> > left of the screen, a star and an envelope.

> I've noticed this too, but they both go to the same link, so I'm
> guessing that the feature isn't yet implemented. It is odd that they'd
> throw that icon in there with no use though.
>
> If I had to hazard a guess it looks like they might be readying some
> sort of feature to store/archive posts or threads (as a
> shot-from-the-hip based upon the icon). We'll find out eventually.
>
> -drew

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking along similar lines.

salgud

John McWilliams wrote:
> salgud wrote:
> > John McWilliams wrote:

> >>The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based "reader"??
> >>

> > Thanks for your critique of my choice.
> >
> > Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?
> >

> Are you able and willing to answer the question?
>
> --
> John McWilliams

Sorry John, must have been out the day I became answerable to you. Can
you copy me that memo?

Frank ess

John McWilliams wrote:
> salgud wrote:
>> John McWilliams wrote:

>>> The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based
>>> "reader"??

>> Thanks for your critique of my choice.
>>
>> Now, does anyone out there have useful information for me?
>>

> Are you able and willing to answer the question?

It's OT. Please restrain your excellent critical capacities.

--
Frank ess

Helena Gratallops

John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: salgud wrote:
:: If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
:: Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of
:: one, I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at
:: the top left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are
:: not any envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I
:: click on the envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic
:: view. Nothing new or missing. Did they attempt to add a feature
:: and just not get it right? It is mentioned in the help screens,
:: but nothing subsantive and nothing that tells how to use this
:: supposed "feature". Anyone know?
::
: The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based
: "reader"??

My thoughts exactly! I get the feeling a lot of folks out there don't
have a clue of what Usenet is, or how to use a newsreader. If they did,
they would walk away from that crappy HTML, SLOW web-interface in
heartbeat...me thinks.

Helena G.

salgud

Helena Gratallops wrote:
> John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : salgud wrote:
> :: If others of you who use Google's newsreader have any ideas on why
> :: Google has decided to mark tracked threads with 2 icons instead of
> :: one, I'm curious. Now there are 2 icons next to the topics item at
> :: the top left of the screen, a star and an envelope. But there are
> :: not any envelopes icons to select in the postings, and when I
> :: click on the envelope icon, it just refreshes the starred topic
> :: view. Nothing new or missing. Did they attempt to add a feature
> :: and just not get it right? It is mentioned in the help screens,
> :: but nothing subsantive and nothing that tells how to use this
> :: supposed "feature". Anyone know?
> ::
> : The real question is: why would anyone choose to use a web based
> : "reader"??
>
> My thoughts exactly! I get the feeling a lot of folks out there don't
> have a clue of what Usenet is, or how to use a newsreader. If they did,
> they would walk away from that crappy HTML, SLOW web-interface in
> heartbeat...me thinks.
>
> Helena G.

This is what happens when you get out of your element, Helena! I'm sure
your family, friends and co-workers have warned you about trying to
think!

DVD Verdict reviews: THE WILD, WILD WEST: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 06-14-2006 08:22 AM
The Wild Wild West fredman DVD Video 6 03-04-2006 04:21 PM
Wild Wild West in R1? Kishin DVD Video 1 07-11-2005 06:16 PM
looking for CH Wild Wild West discs... Darrel Christenson DVD Video 0 11-26-2004 10:23 PM
Lynne Cheney's Wild, Wild West =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?= Digital Photography 6 08-16-2004 07:26 AM

Advertisments