Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nature lens choices

Reply
Thread Tools

Nature lens choices

 
 
Trout-hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
Howdy!

My 20D was recently stolen with my 60mm Macro on it and I have $2020.00
to replace it all. Although the 30D is coming out, I can't justify
the cost due to the same mp.
$1100 will go for the 20D body. So, I have about 900-1300 to play with
for len(s). I still have the crappy EFS 18-55mm lens that came with
it. Great to shoot the kids around the house.

I want to shoot nature - birds mostly. Big hawk fan! Yes, I'd love a
Canon 70-200 L IS USM + 1.4 TC. But will that reach out enough? And
at that price, can I be happy that I made the correct decision? I
considered a mix of lenses. 100 mm macro and a zoom up to 300mm, but
not the best quality to get both. mmmmmm spend the $$ on a good quality
zoom?

So, your opinions are very much needed.

How to spend the money for the replacement?

Brad

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Annika1980
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
>I want to shoot nature - birds mostly. Big hawk fan! Yes, I'd love a
>Canon 70-200 L IS USM + 1.4 TC. But will that reach out enough?


Sadly, no. If you like birds, you must get a longer focal length. The
400 f/5.6L fits into your price range, but it isn't as flexible as the
70-200. I've shot hundreds of bird pics with my 400 f/5.6L, usually
handheld and sometimes even with a 1.4x as seen here:

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54880301

So if you'll be shooting more birds than everything else go with the
400 f/5.6L. Otherwise, the 70-200 f/2.8L IS is a terrific lens. I'd
probably start with the 70-200 myself.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Eric Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006

"Trout-hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Howdy!
>
> My 20D was recently stolen with my 60mm Macro on it and I have $2020.00
> to replace it all. Although the 30D is coming out, I can't justify
> the cost due to the same mp.
> $1100 will go for the 20D body. So, I have about 900-1300 to play with
> for len(s). I still have the crappy EFS 18-55mm lens that came with
> it. Great to shoot the kids around the house.
>
> I want to shoot nature - birds mostly. Big hawk fan! Yes, I'd love a
> Canon 70-200 L IS USM + 1.4 TC. But will that reach out enough? And
> at that price, can I be happy that I made the correct decision? I
> considered a mix of lenses. 100 mm macro and a zoom up to 300mm, but
> not the best quality to get both. mmmmmm spend the $$ on a good quality
> zoom?
>
> So, your opinions are very much needed.
>
> How to spend the money for the replacement?
>
> Brad
>


For birds, in your price range, IMHO, you should consider the following
lenses:

Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 300mm f/4 IS USM (and get a 1.4x teleconverter)
Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO DG HSM
Sigma 135-400mm 4.5-5.6 Aspherical APO
Sigma 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 EX OS APO
Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 Aspherical RF APO
Tamron SP AF200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)

These options are based on my opinion that anyone who shoots birds will want
at least a 400mm lens. I own a Canon 400 f/5.6L USM and can attest to its
optics being of the best quality. I have also owned the Sigma 135-400 and,
when stopped down, it resolves better than my 10D sensor needs. Based on my
experience with a 70-200 2.8L IS USM, I suspect that though the optics of
the IS/OS zooms may not be quite the equal of the primes, in practice, the
IS/OS elimination of blur caused by camera shake will probably result in
better/sharper images under most conditions, especially when comparing shots
where no camera support was used.

Eric Miller





 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
I would have said the Canon EF 100-400mm f/5.6L IS USM. Of course, not a
fast lens, but you can crank up the ISO if need be.

I thought you used this lens Bret?


"Annika1980" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I want to shoot nature - birds mostly. Big hawk fan! Yes, I'd love a
> >Canon 70-200 L IS USM + 1.4 TC. But will that reach out enough?

>
> Sadly, no. If you like birds, you must get a longer focal length. The
> 400 f/5.6L fits into your price range, but it isn't as flexible as the
> 70-200. I've shot hundreds of bird pics with my 400 f/5.6L, usually
> handheld and sometimes even with a 1.4x as seen here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/54880301
>
> So if you'll be shooting more birds than everything else go with the
> 400 f/5.6L. Otherwise, the 70-200 f/2.8L IS is a terrific lens. I'd
> probably start with the 70-200 myself.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Eatmorepies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
..
>
> I want to shoot nature - birds mostly. Big hawk fan! Yes, I'd love a
> Canon 70-200 L IS USM + 1.4 TC. But will that reach out enough? And
> at that price, can I be happy that I made the correct decision? I
> considered a mix of lenses. 100 mm macro and a zoom up to 300mm, but
> not the best quality to get both. mmmmmm spend the $$ on a good quality
> zoom?
>
> So, your opinions are very much needed.
>


I suggest the 300mm f4L IS and a 1.4x converter. Not as flexible as a zoom
but the 300mm takes excellent pictures and the camera will still autofocus
when the 1.4x is on it. The IS works and I have hand held the lens at 1/125
and still had L lens sharpness. Then save up for the 24-105mm f4L IS for
other stuff.

John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Eatmorepies
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
..
>
> I want to shoot nature - birds mostly. Big hawk fan! Yes, I'd love a
> Canon 70-200 L IS USM + 1.4 TC. But will that reach out enough? And
> at that price, can I be happy that I made the correct decision? I
> considered a mix of lenses. 100 mm macro and a zoom up to 300mm, but
> not the best quality to get both. mmmmmm spend the $$ on a good quality
> zoom?
>
> So, your opinions are very much needed.
>


I suggest the 300mm f4L IS and a 1.4x converter. Not as flexible as a zoom
but the 300mm takes excellent pictures and the camera will still autofocus
when the 1.4x is on it. The IS works and I have hand held the lens at 1/125
and still had L lens sharpness. Then save up for the 24-105mm f4L IS for
other stuff.

John


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006

"Eric Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news: KsTWf.28675$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> For birds, in your price range, IMHO, you should consider the following
> lenses:
>
> Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
> Canon EF 100-400mm f/5.6L IS USM
> Canon EF 300mm f/4 IS USM (and get a 1.4x teleconverter)
> Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO DG HSM
> Sigma 135-400mm 4.5-5.6 Aspherical APO
> Sigma 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 EX OS APO
> Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 Aspherical RF APO
> Tamron SP AF200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
>
> These options are based on my opinion that anyone who shoots birds will
> want at least a 400mm lens. I own a Canon 400 f/5.6L USM and can attest to
> its optics being of the best quality. I have also owned the Sigma 135-400
> and, when stopped down, it resolves better than my 10D sensor needs. Based
> on my experience with a 70-200 2.8L IS USM, I suspect that though the
> optics of the IS/OS zooms may not be quite the equal of the primes, in
> practice, the IS/OS elimination of blur caused by camera shake will
> probably result in better/sharper images under most conditions, especially
> when comparing shots where no camera support was used.
>
> Eric Miller
>


Sorry for the following question inside an answer to the previous
question....
Would the Sigma 600mm f:8 (mirror) be an acceptable option (seems to be
about 700$ worth) or would it be considered a wrong choice because not
"fast" enough (f:?
Or any comparable mirror, like the Tamron 500mm f:8 ?

Mike


 
Reply With Quote
 
Annika1980
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
>I would have said the Canon EF 100-400mm f/5.6L IS USM. Of course, not a
>fast lens, but you can crank up the ISO if need be.


>I thought you used this lens Bret?


Nope, I use the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric Miller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
>
> Sorry for the following question inside an answer to the previous
> question....
> Would the Sigma 600mm f:8 (mirror) be an acceptable option (seems to be
> about 700$ worth) or would it be considered a wrong choice because not
> "fast" enough (f:?
> Or any comparable mirror, like the Tamron 500mm f:8 ?
>
> Mike
>


I recently sold my Sigma 600mm Mirror Lens. It is an option. Whether or not
it is acceptable is up to you. Image quality is good for that focal length
in that price range. I would compare the image quality, generally, to that
of the Canon 400mm 5.6L USM with a 2x teleconverter. It's short length and
light weight also make it very difficult to get shake-free images without a
rock-solid tripod in my experience. At f/8, its not a very good low light
performer and the lack of autofocus at that focal length makes it virtually
unusable for quick and not-so-quick moving subjects, but you can't beat the
price. On the whole, for bird photography, I preferred the superior optics
and autofocus of the Canon 400mm to the longer focal length of the Sigma 600
and the Sigma fell into disuse. But, when a bird was in direct sunlight, you
can get decent images from the Sigma:

<http://www.dyesscreek.com/birds_of_my_backyard/pages/house_finch.htm>

BTW, you shouldn't have to pay more than $300 or so for this lens on Ebay.

Eric Miller


 
Reply With Quote
 
Fred
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
You won't have auto focus.


"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news4WWf.16703$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Sorry for the following question inside an answer to the previous
> question....
> Would the Sigma 600mm f:8 (mirror) be an acceptable option (seems to be
> about 700$ worth) or would it be considered a wrong choice because not
> "fast" enough (f:?
> Or any comparable mirror, like the Tamron 500mm f:8 ?
>
> Mike
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choices, Choices!!!! Leeland Clay MCAD 2 02-13-2006 01:53 PM
Choices, choices, choices. Scott Digital Photography 0 10-04-2004 06:15 PM
Choices, choices stuart.cameron Digital Photography 1 06-28-2004 09:29 AM
Seeking advice on digital body and lens setup in 2-3K range for nature shooting... MrMyke Digital Photography 3 04-17-2004 08:38 PM
Best Lens Choices for Canon 300D HeliPilot Digital Photography 44 01-31-2004 08:13 PM



Advertisments