Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW images...

RAW images...

Dabear

Okay...I now have my first digital SLR (Canon D20) and am struggling to
understand the advantages of using the RAW format as opposed to TIF or JPG.
I know the basic concept in terms of how the RAW images contain essentially
"raw" data and not compressed. But, my camera and manuals give me little in
the way of explanation. I'm wondering what tutorial (on-line preferably)
will educate me a bit. I use Photoshop 7. I'm specifically interested in
dealing with RAW images effectively.

Thanks
Barry

Ian Anderson

Hi,

This might point you in the right direction and answer a few other
questions as well.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Regards
Ian

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:46:49 +0000, Dabear wrote:

> Okay...I now have my first digital SLR (Canon D20) and am struggling to
> understand the advantages of using the RAW format as opposed to TIF or JPG.
> I know the basic concept in terms of how the RAW images contain essentially
> "raw" data and not compressed. But, my camera and manuals give me little in
> the way of explanation. I'm wondering what tutorial (on-line preferably)
> will educate me a bit. I use Photoshop 7. I'm specifically interested in
> dealing with RAW images effectively.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

Joseph Meehan

Ian Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This might point you in the right direction and answer a few other
> questions as well.
> http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
>
> Regards
> Ian

Nice link and a very good explanation without going too technical.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Dabear <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Okay...I now have my first digital SLR (Canon D20) and am struggling to
> understand the advantages of using the RAW format as opposed to TIF or JPG.
> I know the basic concept in terms of how the RAW images contain essentially
> "raw" data and not compressed. But, my camera and manuals give me little in
> the way of explanation. I'm wondering what tutorial (on-line preferably)
> will educate me a bit. I use Photoshop 7. I'm specifically interested in
> dealing with RAW images effectively.

If you want to deal with RAW, I would upgrade to CS2 ... OR, use Raw
Shooter Essentials 2006 (current). The latter can be downloaded for free from
here: http://www.pixmantec.com/ A distant last is the vendor software that
comes with your camera.

I also recommend this book; http://tinyurl.com/jwb2k. It is specifically for
Adobe CS2 (ACR), but the knowledge is easily transferable to Raw Shooter if
that is your choice of software. There is also a nice RAW workflow guide
available on the Pixmantec site, but I believe it is geared towards Raw
Shooter Premium ($99).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Derek Fountain

Dabear wrote:
> Okay...I now have my first digital SLR (Canon D20) and am struggling to
> understand the advantages of using the RAW format as opposed to TIF or JPG.
> I know the basic concept in terms of how the RAW images contain essentially
> "raw" data and not compressed. But, my camera and manuals give me little in
> the way of explanation. I'm wondering what tutorial (on-line preferably)
> will educate me a bit. I use Photoshop 7. I'm specifically interested in
> dealing with RAW images effectively.

I did some research on the issue with my 20D and wrote up the results here:

http://www.derekfountain.org/raw_vs_jpeg.php

Dan

I understand what you mean. I had similar questions when i started using
RAW. I read this and it explained everything..

First Link is adobe site that is dedicated to providing info about RAW
and their products
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

This is the more general link and explaines the difference between RAW
and JPEG. And what benefits RAW brings to your pictures.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...rawcapture.pdf

Good Luck

Fred

RAW is the only way to go as it gives much more flexibility.

I am not sure, but I don't think Photoshop 7 has Adobe RAW, I think it was
introduced in Photoshop CS.

To find out how to use it with Photoshop CS, get this book:
Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop

"Dabear" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZVMWf.11751$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Okay...I now have my first digital SLR (Canon D20) and am struggling to
> understand the advantages of using the RAW format as opposed to TIF or

JPG.
> I know the basic concept in terms of how the RAW images contain

essentially
> "raw" data and not compressed. But, my camera and manuals give me little

in
> the way of explanation. I'm wondering what tutorial (on-line preferably)
> will educate me a bit. I use Photoshop 7. I'm specifically interested in
> dealing with RAW images effectively.
>
> Thanks
> Barry

tomm42

The upgrade to CS2 is about $160, it is definitely an upgrade in
functionality, and size! I just did it, I alsways skip an upgrade. A
book on ACR is almost necessary. Just about to take that step.

Tom

John McWilliams

Fred wrote:
> RAW is the only way to go as it gives much more flexibility.

For Fred, definitely.

For most Pros I know, there's a time when jpg wins out over RAW,
especially sports and other high volume fast shooting. A good photograph
can be made with either format, same for excellent and crap results.

--
John McWilliams

John A. Stovall

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:05:47 -0800, John McWilliams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Fred wrote:
>> RAW is the only way to go as it gives much more flexibility.
>>

>For Fred, definitely.
>
>For most Pros I know, there's a time when jpg wins out over RAW,
>especially sports and other high volume fast shooting. A good photograph
>can be made with either format, same for excellent and crap results.

You know a limited number of 'Pros.' You may make a 'good'
photograph with a jpeg for the web or news print but not a great
print from a jpg. You lose too much data and color gamut for that.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/