Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Suggestions on hardware/software for keeping reliable backups?

Suggestions on hardware/software for keeping reliable backups?

Martin O'Brien

Hi all,

Aside from DVD -/+ R, does anyone have a good suggestion for a
reliable, not-horribly-expensive backup method?

Thanks,
Martin O'B

Fred

DVD is the cheapest method. A second hard drive is another method.

If you get a Firewire/USB2 external hard drive, you can back up to this and
keep the hard drive at work, in your car, etc. so, if your house is burgled,
catches fire, etc. you still have a back up.

"Martin O'Brien" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Aside from DVD -/+ R, does anyone have a good suggestion for a
> reliable, not-horribly-expensive backup method?
>
> Thanks,
> Martin O'B
>
> --
> NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

Phil Stripling

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Martin O'Brien
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Aside from DVD -/+ R, does anyone have a good suggestion for a
> reliable, not-horribly-expensive backup method?

Hi, Martin,

There are two issues: longevity and location.

At this point, no one has any realistic idea of longevity of any
digital storage media. CDs were supposed to last for years, but
some report problems with delamination and general readability,
so the suggestion now is DVDs. shrug - who knows what will pop
up on those. Others suggest external hard drives, which are
fairly cheap. My suggestion is to try both hard drives and
CDs or DVDs, and to back up your back ups every few years.

As to location, having all your back ups in your home is not a
good idea. My house burned to the ground one year, with the loss
of all contents. Another year, another house, the basement
flooded, damaging everything that touched the floor and walls.
Where I live now, the danger is earthquakes and subsequent fires.
Some people live where there are hurricanes, tornadoes, or
whatever. Store backups outside the area of your natural disaster
boundaries. Miles away. Miles and miles away.

Good luck and have fun.

Moro Grubb of Little Delving

Phil Stripling wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Martin O'Brien
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As to location, having all your back ups in your home is not a
> good idea. My house burned to the ground one year, with the loss
> of all contents. Another year, another house, the basement
> flooded, damaging everything that touched the floor and walls.
> Where I live now, the danger is earthquakes and subsequent fires.
> Some people live where there are hurricanes, tornadoes, or
> whatever. Store backups outside the area of your natural disaster
> boundaries. Miles away. Miles and miles away.

What I've been doing is making an annual "photo album" on CD/DVD, and
mailing it to remote (overseas) friends and family with our annual
"Christmas Newsletter". This way, if we ever lose everything to
fire/earthquake/whatever, at least there will be a way to recover the
"pick of the crop" of family memories...

I also have a second disc drive in my home PC with backups of all
photos, and keep backup DVDs in my desk at the office...

/M

dtype

Martin O'Brien wrote:

> Aside from DVD -/+ R, does anyone have a good suggestion for a
> reliable, not-horribly-expensive backup method?

In addition to the things that people have already mentioned, you might
also try backing up at an online site such as Flickr, ShutterFly,
oPhoto, etc.

Yes, there is some chance that these sites could have catastrophic
failure and lose photos, but I'd venture that it happens less than your
own chances of losing DVDs, having them lose data, sitting on them,
etc.

Especially with the sites owned by large entities (such as Flickr,
owned now by Yahoo!), this is probably one of the most reliable backup
methods around. A $20/year (I think) Flickr account gets you 2GB/month
of uploads, and otherwise unlimited storage. Rumor has it that Google
will be offering online storage soon as well.

If you want more guarantees, you can always go with an
insured-against-loss online storage account with some vendor (non photo
specific), but these will cost more. (Not sure if sites like iBackup or
xdrive insure.)

-drew

Fred

Backing up on-line is OK if it is only jpegs, but when you have 3000 80MB
TIFFS, then it isn't an option.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...