Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > B&H Or Beachcamera.com

Reply
Thread Tools

B&H Or Beachcamera.com

 
 
Father Kodak
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2006
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 05:20:59 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>
>>I think that B&H avoids price-matching as a matter of principle.

>
>Given that you could always come in with a terrifically low
>price from Pondscum Photo (and you might even think it is a
>legitimate price) how else should they react?
>
>I respect a business that gives you what is clearly a decent
>price and great service as well.
>
> ---- Paul J. Gans


Let me add that when I was in B&H lately the salesguy successfully
convinced me NOT to buy an expensive accessory, because he pointed out
to me that it wouldn't be particularly beneficial for my typical
subjects.

Now THAT is credibility.

Padre Kodak
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Shaun Eli
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-29-2006
As far as Gray Market goods-- some manufacturers will warrant any
product, regardless of what market it was originally manufactured for.
So the warrantee issue may or may not be a valid reason to choose one
store over another.

You can always call the manufacturer and ask them.

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for Smart Minds (sm)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2006
jimmy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I saw the Canon Rebel XT kit on beachcamera.com for $749.00( incl
> ship), having never dealt with them I emailed B&H and asked them if
> they could match it (they have it for $779+ shipping) and they sent me
> the following. My question is: Are they correct, is beachcamera.com
> shady?
>
> QUOTE:
> Several camera dealers will try to draw you in to a sale by offering a
> low price on the camera but they will often charge a much higher price
> for the accessories such as memory, batteries, cases, filters,
> warranties and shipping. Other dealers will claim that the camera does
> not come with software, cables, or batteries then they will proceed to
> sell you the accessories that are already in the box. Some of these
> dealers do not actually ship the camera unless you order enough of the
> high priced accessories. Unfortunately you will not know if the dealer
> does not ship the camera until sometime after you place the order.
>
> Also some dealers are selling "gray" or "imported" cameras that do not
> come with any warranty or technical support. There is no way to tell if
> you received a gray market product until after you receive the product.
> Then you must call the manufacturer and read the serial number to them.
> Then the manufacturer can tell you if it is a! USA or a gray market
> product. B&H does not sell any gray market digital cameras.
>
> This is why we do not match prices with Beach Camera
>


Last November I purchased a Canon A610 from Beach via the phone and paid
for 2 day delivery due to in a week I was to leave on vacation for a
month. Also bought a few things from other sites for the camera.
Everything arrived except the camera! Made several calls to Beach and
discovered they didn't ship until 5 days after the order and it would not
arrive on time, so cancelled the order. Was forced to buy another camera
in Hong Kong and at a higher price and am stuck with the accessories for
the 610!

Do not buy from Beach!

Miles
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Wiss
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2006
On Sun, 07 May 2006, Miles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Last November I purchased a Canon A610 from Beach via the phone and paid
>for 2 day delivery due to in a week I was to leave on vacation for a


One thing I've noticed is there are many people that order cameras just
before going on a vacation (or some other big event), and then are unhappy
when the camera doesn't show up instantly. The moral of these stories is to
simply plan ahead.

Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2006
Don Wiss wrote:
> On Sun, 07 May 2006, Miles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Last November I purchased a Canon A610 from Beach via the phone and paid
>>for 2 day delivery due to in a week I was to leave on vacation for a

>
>
> One thing I've noticed is there are many people that order cameras just
> before going on a vacation (or some other big event), and then are unhappy
> when the camera doesn't show up instantly. The moral of these stories is to
> simply plan ahead.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).


One must plan ahead and plan on depending on shoddy dealers.

Miles
 
Reply With Quote
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-07-2006
Miles wrote:

> Don Wiss wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 May 2006, Miles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Last November I purchased a Canon A610 from Beach via the phone and
>>> paid for 2 day delivery due to in a week I was to leave on vacation
>>> for a

>>
>>
>>
>> One thing I've noticed is there are many people that order cameras just
>> before going on a vacation (or some other big event), and then are
>> unhappy
>> when the camera doesn't show up instantly. The moral of these stories
>> is to
>> simply plan ahead.
>>
>> Don <www.donwiss.com/pictures/> (e-mail link at page bottoms).

>
>
> One must plan ahead and plan on depending on shoddy dealers.
>
> Miles



I meant to say, "...and not plan on depending on shoddy dealers."
Miles
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments