Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 30D and Photoshop RAW converter

Canon 30D and Photoshop RAW converter

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes

I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/Foto/

tomm42

Photoshop has ACR 3.3 out, I think for CS2 only. But the 30D is a brand
new camera, so it may not be there. ACR 3.3 is on the Adobe web site,
Photoshop downloads. They should have a new ver out, eventually, since
PS will not be upgraded for a year.

Tom

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:18:55 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
>30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

No. ACR doesn't support the 30D, nor does RawShooterEssentials yet either.
http://EdwardGRuf.com

John Bean

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 15:24:34 -0500, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to
E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 21:18:55 +0200, in rec.photo.digital Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
>>30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

>No. ACR doesn't support the 30D, nor does RawShooterEssentials yet either.

Current version of Silkypix supports it.

--
John Bean

Mark B.

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
> 30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

DPP 2.1 that comes with the camera works fine

Mark

Barry Pearson

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
> 30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

I don't like hacks, but here is one that may help you:

http://akhater.wordpress.com/2006/03...canon-30d-raw/

"This script makes a copy of the official ACR plug-in and performs a
modification on the copy".

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Darrell Larose

"Barry Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
> 30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

I don't like hacks, but here is one that may help you:

http://akhater.wordpress.com/2006/03...canon-30d-raw/

"This script makes a copy of the official ACR plug-in and performs a
modification on the copy".

Another reason to support OpenRaw http://www.opennraw.org

Barry Pearson

Darrell Larose wrote:
> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> > I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
> > 30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

[snip]
> Another reason to support OpenRaw http://www.opennraw.org

OpenRAW doesn't address this particular problem directly. It lobbies
for publication of raw file formats, but that doesn't itself avoid the
need to update raw converters with the new camera-model data.

The real solution to the problem of supporting new cameras in existing
raw converters is a common raw format, for which we have DNG. If the
30D had output DNG, either as its native raw format or as an additional
option, ACR 2.4 under CS would already support it.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/
http://www.birdsandanimals.info/

Ray Fischer

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
>30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

As part of their acquisition of Macromedia last December Adobe laid
off about 650 people. Is there a connection between that and the
sluggishness of releasing a new version of Camera RAW?

_Probably_ not. Who knows?

--
Ray Fischer

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Ray Fischer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> J?rn Dahl-Stamnes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I just found out that Photoshop CS does not recognize RAW files from the
>>30D. Still no new RAW converter at adobes web-site... or have I missed it?

> As part of their acquisition of Macromedia last December Adobe laid
> off about 650 people. Is there a connection between that and the
> sluggishness of releasing a new version of Camera RAW?
>
> _Probably_ not. Who knows?

Why do you expect a new version? What features are you looking for a new
version that do not exist in the current version?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse