Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Noise reduction?

Noise reduction?

PeteD

Hi,
I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.

How is this noise reduction done? Is this done with software supplied
with the camera or some other package like photoshop?

I am a basic level photo shop user ie. cropping, levels etc but haven't
looked at noise.

Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
serious computer work?

Thanks for any help.
Pete

Frank B

"PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi,
> I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
> looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
> Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
> done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.
>
> How is this noise reduction done? Is this done with software supplied
> with the camera or some other package like photoshop?
>
> I am a basic level photo shop user ie. cropping, levels etc but haven't
> looked at noise.
>
> Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
> serious computer work?
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Pete

Depends on the tool you use. I use Noise Ninja which runs as a filter in
Photoshop (or stand-alone if you want). There are other tools as well.
Noise Ninja does an excellent job and there are downloadable profiles for
just about all popular dSLRs.

Will every shot need work? Not necessarily. High ISO shots will almost
always need a pass through a noise reduction filter if you plan to print
them. If you are shooting at low ISO, noise isn't an issue. Might need
post production for other reasons but not always.

The better you can get your shot 'in camera' the less post production you
need. I've only been doing this a couple of years and when I started, I
wasn't worried about in camera results because I could fix anything (well,
almost anything) in PS. As I learned more, I've tried much harder to get
things right when I take the shot and only do a little PS work later unless
I'm looking at doing something 'interesting' with the picture. It's much
quicker.

FWIW.

PeteD

Frank B (at dot) wrote:
> "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi,
> > I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
> > looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
> > Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
> > done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.
> >
> > How is this noise reduction done? Is this done with software supplied
> > with the camera or some other package like photoshop?
> >
> > I am a basic level photo shop user ie. cropping, levels etc but haven't
> > looked at noise.
> >
> > Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
> > serious computer work?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > Pete
> >

> Depends on the tool you use. I use Noise Ninja which runs as a filter in
> Photoshop (or stand-alone if you want). There are other tools as well.
> Noise Ninja does an excellent job and there are downloadable profiles for
> just about all popular dSLRs.
>
> Will every shot need work? Not necessarily. High ISO shots will almost
> always need a pass through a noise reduction filter if you plan to print
> them. If you are shooting at low ISO, noise isn't an issue. Might need
> post production for other reasons but not always.
>
> The better you can get your shot 'in camera' the less post production you
> need. I've only been doing this a couple of years and when I started, I
> wasn't worried about in camera results because I could fix anything (well,
> almost anything) in PS. As I learned more, I've tried much harder to get
> things right when I take the shot and only do a little PS work later unless
> I'm looking at doing something 'interesting' with the picture. It's much
> quicker.
>
> FWIW.

Thanks for that. Answered my question fully....

Pete

Bill Hilton

> PeteD writes ...
>
> I'm seriously looking at an entry level SLR like a
> D50 or D70 (worried about noise) ... Does this mean
> that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
> serious computer work?

Below ISO 400 you probably won't need to do anything, the images will
look fine ... 800 and higher you'll almost surely need to run a noise
reduction program (I use Neat Image but others are similar). ISO 400
seems to be the tipping point for most people with these 1.5x sensors,
you might be happy with the images at this ISO but some of the time you
might want or need to run the reduction program on it. Depends on the
shot and on your tolerance for noise.

Bill

Steve Wolfe

> I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
> looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
> Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
> done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.

If you're talking about JPGs, any of the digital SLRs (and I imagine any
semi-modern point-and-shoot) will perform at least some noise-reduction in
the camera. If, however, you're using the RAW files, then the noise
reduction needs to be done on your PC. Some (most?) RAW importers are
capable of performing noise reduction, and there are also programs designed
just to do noise reduction.

> Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
> serious computer work?

Nope.

steve

Dennis Pogson

PeteD wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
> looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
> Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction
> being done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.
>
> How is this noise reduction done? Is this done with software supplied
> with the camera or some other package like photoshop?
>
> I am a basic level photo shop user ie. cropping, levels etc but
> haven't looked at noise.
>
> Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
> serious computer work?

I should hope not.

Paying £1000 (or $1600) for a camera then having to spend hours on a PC to
arrive at an acceptable print or photo-file is not quite what digital
photography is all about.

You might as well go back to film and a darkroom.

There are noise-reduction programs out there, such as Neat Image and many
others, but why not try eliminating the noise from your pictures in the
first place by not taking pictures of black cats in coad cellars?

Rich

You know what would be good? If noise is so bad you can't eliminate it
without turning
your picture into a watercolour, if there was a way to convert the
digital noise so it looked
pretty much like film noise used to, it might just produce a printable
image.
I've fooled around with various programs, and have gotten close to
producing (for eg)
a Tri-X black and white look from a noisy colour image, but not close
enough and ideally
you'd want to somehow preserve the colour.

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
PeteD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
> serious computer work?

Of course not. Unless you commonly need very high ISO's, in which case
you might consider shooting on film.

Or, since you mention the D200, getting one of those. The recent
Popular Photography review, I believe, used the phrase "astonishingly
low" when it came to noise.

Rich

> Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
> serious computer work?

> Nope.

>steve

Well, noise reduction programs aren't psychic, you have to do some work
achieve the best result.
-Rich

Rod Williams

Steve Wolfe wrote:
>>I've been digital for a year now with a tiny Canon Ixus. I'm seriously
>>looking at an entry level SLR like a D50 or D70 (we have some other
>>Nikon AF lenses). I read stuff on the group about noise reduction being
>>done out of camera with a D70 but in camera with a D50.

> If you're talking about JPGs, any of the digital SLRs (and I imagine any
> semi-modern point-and-shoot) will perform at least some noise-reduction in
> the camera. If, however, you're using the RAW files, then the noise
> reduction needs to be done on your PC. Some (most?) RAW importers are
> capable of performing noise reduction, and there are also programs designed
> just to do noise reduction.
>

>>Does this mean that every shot I take with a D70 or D200 will need
>>serious computer work?

> Nope.
>
> steve

I have a Canon 350D and it does a great job of noise reduction on jpgs.
RAW is another thing because you have to post process it to reduce
noise. I have found the RAW converters don't do a very good job though.
I got the noiseware plugin for Photoshop and it is great.