Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why can't I find a camera like this?

Why can't I find a camera like this?

Prime

All I want is:

- A superzoom camera with the design and lens of the Panasonic Lumix FZ5 or
FZ7
- At least 7mp
- Optical Image Stabilization
- A low noise sensor like that in the Fuji F10

It seems doable, just nobody has done it.

- Pannys are great cameras but lots of image noise.
- Few superzooms seem to be over 6mp.
- Fuji has a superzoom but it doesn't have OIS.
- Sony has a new OIS superzoom coming out >7mp, but it's kind of big. They
are usually better in the low noise department, though.

jean

Not me, what I want is a point and shoot without a zoom, with a fast prime
with an equivalent focal lenght of 50mm and with a noiseless sensor like the
one in a 10/20/30D. It would have to be thin and light and use compact
flash cards.

Jean

"Prime" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> All I want is:
>
> - A superzoom camera with the design and lens of the Panasonic Lumix FZ5

or
> FZ7
> - At least 7mp
> - Optical Image Stabilization
> - A low noise sensor like that in the Fuji F10
>
> It seems doable, just nobody has done it.
>
> - Pannys are great cameras but lots of image noise.
> - Few superzooms seem to be over 6mp.
> - Fuji has a superzoom but it doesn't have OIS.
> - Sony has a new OIS superzoom coming out >7mp, but it's kind of big. They
> are usually better in the low noise department, though.

l e o

Prime wrote:
> All I want is:
>
> - A superzoom camera with the design and lens of the Panasonic Lumix FZ5 or
> FZ7
> - At least 7mp
> - Optical Image Stabilization
> - A low noise sensor like that in the Fuji F10
>
> It seems doable, just nobody has done it.
>
> - Pannys are great cameras but lots of image noise.
> - Few superzooms seem to be over 6mp.
> - Fuji has a superzoom but it doesn't have OIS.
> - Sony has a new OIS superzoom coming out >7mp, but it's kind of big. They
> are usually better in the low noise department, though.

I want one. But, make sure the noise level can match Canon 20D and the
dynamic range can be as good as Fujifilm S3 and the OIS is at least 3
stops and be 10MP like the Nikon D200. The price should be like
Panasonic FZ5.

jean wrote:
> Not me, what I want is a point and shoot without a zoom, with a fast prime
> with an equivalent focal lenght of 50mm and with a noiseless sensor like the
> one in a 10/20/30D. It would have to be thin and light and use compact
> flash cards.

Noise is related to pixel size because the sensors are photon
noise limited for their rated quantum efficiencies, at least
in decent cameras, even point and shoots (it can only get
worse; photon noise limited is the best one can do). The
smaller compact cameras with small pixels collect fewer photons.
Noise is the square root of the number of collected photons.
It is fundamental physics and the only real thing that could
change is increasing quantum efficiency (about 2x to 3x is possible)
but not likely soon in cheap cameras.

See: Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Roger

> Jean
>
> "Prime" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>
>>All I want is:
>>
>>- A superzoom camera with the design and lens of the Panasonic Lumix FZ5

> or
>
>>FZ7
>>- At least 7mp
>>- Optical Image Stabilization
>>- A low noise sensor like that in the Fuji F10
>>
>>It seems doable, just nobody has done it.
>>
>>- Pannys are great cameras but lots of image noise.
>>- Few superzooms seem to be over 6mp.
>>- Fuji has a superzoom but it doesn't have OIS.
>>- Sony has a new OIS superzoom coming out >7mp, but it's kind of big. They
>>are usually better in the low noise department, though.

Prime

l e o <(E-Mail Removed)> posted the exciting message
news:TVIVf.108$(E-Mail Removed):

> Prime wrote:
>> All I want is:
>>
>> - A superzoom camera with the design and lens of the Panasonic Lumix
>> FZ5 or FZ7
>> - At least 7mp
>> - Optical Image Stabilization
>> - A low noise sensor like that in the Fuji F10
>>
>> It seems doable, just nobody has done it.
>>
>> - Pannys are great cameras but lots of image noise.
>> - Few superzooms seem to be over 6mp.
>> - Fuji has a superzoom but it doesn't have OIS.
>> - Sony has a new OIS superzoom coming out >7mp, but it's kind of big.
>> They are usually better in the low noise department, though.

> I want one. But, make sure the noise level can match Canon 20D and the
> dynamic range can be as good as Fujifilm S3 and the OIS is at least 3
> stops and be 10MP like the Nikon D200. The price should be like
> Panasonic FZ5.

I know my original post looks like a wild wish list. But I don't think it
is out of the current technical realm.

I love the FZ5 size and format, but I don't like the noise I've seen on
sample pictures.
The Fuji F10 is widely admired for having very low noise due to Fuji's
superior sensor technology. Not as good as a larger SLR sensor, but
approaching that quality. But Fuji's superzoom doesn't have OIS!

It just seems that each manufacturer has strengths, but nobody has all of
them:

Panasonic - great size and design; great lens; great OIS
Fuji - great sensor technology, but no OIS
Sony - great cameras with relatively low noise, but too big. Plus those
annoying memory sticks.
I'd rather not get a DSLR, I don't want the size, cost of lenses, or
potential dust.

l e o

Prime wrote:
> l e o <(E-Mail Removed)> posted the exciting message
> news:TVIVf.108$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Prime wrote:
>>> All I want is:
>>>
>>> - A superzoom camera with the design and lens of the Panasonic Lumix
>>> FZ5 or FZ7
>>> - At least 7mp
>>> - Optical Image Stabilization
>>> - A low noise sensor like that in the Fuji F10
>>>
>>> It seems doable, just nobody has done it.
>>>
>>> - Pannys are great cameras but lots of image noise.
>>> - Few superzooms seem to be over 6mp.
>>> - Fuji has a superzoom but it doesn't have OIS.
>>> - Sony has a new OIS superzoom coming out >7mp, but it's kind of big.
>>> They are usually better in the low noise department, though.

>> I want one. But, make sure the noise level can match Canon 20D and the
>> dynamic range can be as good as Fujifilm S3 and the OIS is at least 3
>> stops and be 10MP like the Nikon D200. The price should be like
>> Panasonic FZ5.
>>

> I know my original post looks like a wild wish list. But I don't think it
> is out of the current technical realm.
>
> I love the FZ5 size and format, but I don't like the noise I've seen on
> sample pictures.
> The Fuji F10 is widely admired for having very low noise due to Fuji's
> superior sensor technology. Not as good as a larger SLR sensor, but
> approaching that quality. But Fuji's superzoom doesn't have OIS!
>
> It just seems that each manufacturer has strengths, but nobody has all of
> them:
>
> Panasonic - great size and design; great lens; great OIS
> Fuji - great sensor technology, but no OIS
> Sony - great cameras with relatively low noise, but too big. Plus those
> annoying memory sticks.
> I'd rather not get a DSLR, I don't want the size, cost of lenses, or
> potential dust.

Solution: buy all the companies you mentioned! We have to face the
blu-ray and HD-DVD war, so you think the camera manufacturers are any
different?

cjcampbell

> jean wrote:
> > Not me, what I want is a point and shoot without a zoom, with a fast prime
> > with an equivalent focal lenght of 50mm and with a noiseless sensor like the
> > one in a 10/20/30D. It would have to be thin and light and use compact
> > flash cards.

> Noise is related to pixel size because the sensors are photon
> noise limited for their rated quantum efficiencies, at least
> in decent cameras, even point and shoots (it can only get
> worse; photon noise limited is the best one can do).

Okay. You have convinced me. The ideal camera has only one pixel and
that pixel must be six feet across....

Joseph Meehan

Prime wrote:
> All I want is:
>
> - A superzoom camera with the design and lens of the Panasonic Lumix
> FZ5 or FZ7
> - At least 7mp
> - Optical Image Stabilization
> - A low noise sensor like that in the Fuji F10
>
> It seems doable, just nobody has done it.
>
> - Pannys are great cameras but lots of image noise.
> - Few superzooms seem to be over 6mp.

Little reason to be. Superzoom lenses by their nature are very
difficult to make and maintain high quality imaging capability. So why have
over 6mp? If the lens can't produce the quality why pay for a sensor that
can record it? The "superzoom" lenses on DSLRs are fine. The do a good job
but they don't match the imaging capability of the sensors, however you can
buy other lenses that will.

> - Fuji has a superzoom but it doesn't have OIS.
> - Sony has a new OIS superzoom coming out >7mp, but it's kind of big.
> They are usually better in the low noise department, though.

I don't think you noted it, but it sounds like you also want a small
camera, that eliminates the superzoom and larger sensor as they by nature
will be larger.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bruce Hoult

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Not me, what I want is a point and shoot without a zoom, with a fast prime
> with an equivalent focal lenght of 50mm and with a noiseless sensor like the
> one in a 10/20/30D. It would have to be thin and light and use compact
> flash cards.

If it's a fixed lens then I want 28mm, not 50mm -- though a 28mm/56mm
two position lens would be good too

I don't care what type of card it uses, they're so cheap now.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

John A. Stovall

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 22:09:28 -0500, "jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not me, what I want is a point and shoot without a zoom, with a fast prime
>with an equivalent focal lenght of 50mm and with a noiseless sensor like the
>one in a 10/20/30D. It would have to be thin and light and use compact
>flash cards.

Here is what you want.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/DMD.shtml

-James Nachtwey-