Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Way to Increase # of Pictures on a Memory Card?

Best Way to Increase # of Pictures on a Memory Card?

JohnR66

"Ken Hall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
> last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
> card. I've never thought about this question before.
>
> She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
>
> She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> quality:
>
> On a 4x6 print?
> On a 5x7 print?
>
> Ken
> --
> NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

Hopefully she is close enough to civilization and can go buy a card. Why
miss good photo ops. $30 can buy a decent sized card these days.
John

Stefan Patric

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:29:02 -0600, Ken Hall wrote:

> I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
> last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
> card. I've never thought about this question before.
>
> She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
>
> She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> quality:
>
> On a 4x6 print?
> On a 5x7 print?

If she can't go someplace and buy more cards or have the images
transferred to other media like CDs/DVDs, then do this: First, go through
all the images and delete the clunkers. Be objective. Under normal
circumstances, you should be able to get rid of 10 to 20% -- grossly
over/underexposed, bad composition, duplicates, etc. Then, reduce
resolution to about 3MP -- this will be more than good enough for 5x7 and
smaller, and passable for 8x10 -- and, if necessary, go to the next level
of JPEG compression (smaller file size) as in from Fine to Normal. In 5x7s
or 4x6s, you'll never see the slight differences. Probably won't even see
them in an 8x10.

Stef

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ken Hall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
> last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
> card. I've never thought about this question before.
>
> She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
>
> She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> quality:
>
> On a 4x6 print?
> On a 5x7 print?

Geez! Your friend should just take a few minutes out of her vacation and
buy a second memory card.

Roy G

"Ken Hall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
> last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
> card. I've never thought about this question before.
>
> She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
>
> She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> quality:
>
> On a 4x6 print?
> On a 5x7 print?
>
> Ken
> --
> NewsGuy.Com 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth

Hi

To answer the question, as first asked.

The best way of increasing the number of pictures on a card, is to use a
bigger card.

Dead easy, isn't it.

Roy G

Arthur Small

The weakest link in printing digital images is the printer. A low res image
printed on a dye sub printer will look great. Same image on an inkjet looks
so, so.

Considering the fact that in my early years of digital photography I had a 3
MP camera that turned out very good 24 x 36 inch prints. These were made by
a commercial lab on matte photo paper.

Not only is the resolution of the camera an important factor but how it will
be printed.

www.alldigital.fotopic.net

Ron Hunter

Ken Hall wrote:
> I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
> last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
> card. I've never thought about this question before.
>
> She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
>
> She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> quality:
>
> On a 4x6 print?
> On a 5x7 print?
>
> Ken

I would reduce the pixels to 4mp, and the quality to 'better'. This
will still result in pictures with more than enough resolution for 5x7
prints, while conserving memory. The alternative is to buy more flash
cards, if this is an option.

Charles Gillen

Back when I was using just a 2 Mpixel point&shoot camera I tested to find
what combination of image size and compression settings yielded the best
compromise for maximum number of images with decent print quality.

I found shooting at maximum size but maximum compression worked best for
me. For printing, the more pixels the better... and compression artifacts
are invisible in prints up to 8.5 x 11 inches even from a 2 Mp camera. With
most big name brand consumer digital cameras, even the worst compression
setting is perfectly usable most of the time for snapshots.