Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Way to Increase # of Pictures on a Memory Card?

Best Way to Increase # of Pictures on a Memory Card?

Ken Hall

I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
card. I've never thought about this question before.

She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.

She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
(decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
quality:

On a 4x6 print?
On a 5x7 print?

Ken

Scott W

Ken Hall wrote:
> I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
> last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
> card. I've never thought about this question before.
>
> She will be printing the pictures 4x6 or 5x7.
>
> She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> quality:
>
> On a 4x6 print?
> On a 5x7 print?
>
> Ken
> --

A lot depends on the camera, some produce good looking images with
their higher compression and some produce images that you would not
want to use. The 2MP route is safer in a way but is a just a bit low
in pixels for a 5 x 7 print, still they should look pretty good. For a
4 x 6 print the 2MP image should look very good.

Scott

Bucky

Ken Hall wrote:
> She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> quality:

The recommended max for 2MP is a 4x6 print, because that will come out
to about 267-300 dpi, depending on the exact resolution. So if she
wants to have the flexibility to print 5x7, then she probably shouldn't
do 2MP.

I prefer to go with the 5MP with more jpeg compression. I'm not able to
notice that much of a difference between quality/compression settings.

Scott W

Bucky wrote:
> Ken Hall wrote:
> > She has a 5MP camera. Her options are to increase the jpg compression
> > (decrease the jpg quality), or to keep the better quality compression
> > and drop to 2MP. Either approach will give her about 3 times as many
> > images on her card compared to the 5MP at high quality jpg she is
> > currently using. Which of these options will give her the best image
> > quality:

> The recommended max for 2MP is a 4x6 print, because that will come out
> to about 267-300 dpi, depending on the exact resolution. So if she
> wants to have the flexibility to print 5x7, then she probably shouldn't
> do 2MP.

Keep in mind that a 2MP image from a 5MP camera will be a fair bit
sharper then a 2MP image from a 2MP camera.

Scott

=?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

Ken Hall <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have a friend on vacation who called me to say she is down to her
> last memory card and wants to maximize the pictures she can get on the
> card. I've never thought about this question before.

When a friend of mine was in that situation she emailed the pictures
to me from an internet cafe, and waited for confirmation that they had
arrived ok before deleting them from the card.

When I was in that situation I bought another memory card in the
nearest electronics shop, which also happened to sell them cheaper
than I could get at home.

--
Måns Rullgård

Bucky

Scott W wrote:
> Keep in mind that a 2MP image from a 5MP camera will be a fair bit
> sharper then a 2MP image from a 2MP camera.

Hmm, I didn't realize that before. Thanks for pointing that out.

Charles Schuler

Or, review the images and delete the junk? Camera review is not the best
but sometimes clearly OOF shots and other junk images can be deleted in the
camera.

Jem Raid

"Charles Schuler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Or, review the images and delete the junk? Camera review is not the best
> but sometimes clearly OOF shots and other junk images can be deleted in
> the camera.

I concur, I do it all the time, mostly I use a 16meg card and go out and get
just a few pics that I really like, but I am talking just locally

Jem

-------------------------------------
Birmingham Independent Photographers
http://bip.wikispaces.com/

kmacnaughton@gmail.com

I know someone who bought an iPOD specifically so he could transfer his
digital photos over to it while on vacation, thus freeing up his
camera's memory card. I know this would take advance planning, but it
might be worth considering for the next time. And, you can always use
the iPOD to listen to music and podcasts too, of course!

Kathi
How To Choose An Olympus Digital Camera
http://www.plain-talk-about.com/digi...tal-camera.htm

Bolshoy Huy

go to any electronics store.
give them your card to burn to a cd/dvd.
mail 1 copy to yourself.