Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > learning to use Canon 5D

learning to use Canon 5D

CNN_news

Hello,

I need some stock photography and after looking at Corbis and Getty
(and not finding anything suitable) have decided to try taking my own.

I camera shop here will rent me a Canon 5D. I have never used a Digital
SLR before (I have a nikon consumer digital camera).

I found these links:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/

http://jimdoty.com/Digital/5d_menu_s..._settings.html

I need outdoor shots of scenery.

Can I learn this camera in 1 day?

The shots don't have to be spectacular, but pretty good.

Thanks,
NK

CNN_news

I have found that the Canon 5D has a 'green mode'.

Does this work well enough that a mountain scene on an average sunny
day will give a good shot?

David J. Littleboy

"CNN_news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote"

> Can I learn this camera in 1 day?

Probably not. If you really need the quality advantage the 5D has over a
lower-resolution cropped sensor camera, then you'll need to work; shoot raw,
use good lenses, stop down to f/11 or f/16 (that is, stop down further than
you would on a cropped-sensor camera), expose carefully so that the
highlights blow out just a tad (as seen from jpeg) and convert to a lower
contrast in the raw converter (to get the full dynamic range the camera is
capable of).

Think of the 5D vs. cropped cameras as being like medium format vs. 35mm. If
you shoot ISO 100 film, use a sturdy tripod, pay for drum (or Nikon 9000)
scans, medium format will produce 16x20 prints that look better than 35mm
8x10s.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

TMG

CNN_news wrote:
> I have found that the Canon 5D has a 'green mode'.
>
> Does this work well enough that a mountain scene on an average sunny
> day will give a good shot?

No, the "Green Mode" is for earth friendly pictures.

It also works well for pics of billy-goats, and the undersides of bridges.

Best of luck.

Frank ess

TMG wrote:
> CNN_news wrote:
>> I have found that the Canon 5D has a 'green mode'.
>>
>> Does this work well enough that a mountain scene on an average
>> sunny
>> day will give a good shot?

> No, the "Green Mode" is for earth friendly pictures.
>
> It also works well for pics of billy-goats, and the undersides of
> bridges.
> Best of luck.

That's a bit gruff, isn't it?

CNN_news

Why would Canon bother with a 'green mode' on this camera anyway it it
was not useful?

I really don't need the quality from this camera, I need a high
resolution image that will print 11 x 17 in 300 dpi (or close to that).
You can tell I am not a photographer.

I have a particular composition requirements that would seem strange to
you. It is for a background of a marketing piece. It will include some
scenery and there should be elements (like a roadway) in a particular
location and other areas have to be sky (i.e. light colored).

I know this sounds ridiculous but that it what I need. I got some stock
images but they do not have the elements in the correct location.

Are you saying that if I take this camera, save to RAW format, put in
'green or auto mode' and take pictures I cannot get suitable quality?

I'd get a pro to do this but I need this quickly and it would take too
long to explain my req.

Thanks,
NK

CNN_news

How about the Digital Rebel XT?

I see this has a scene mode and I may be able to upsample in Photoshop
to the required dpi if it is not too extreme.

JC Dill

On 23 Mar 2006 21:19:15 -0800, "CNN_news" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I really don't need the quality from this camera, I need a high
>resolution image that will print 11 x 17 in 300 dpi (or close to that).
>You can tell I am not a photographer.

You are greatly overestimating how "easy" it is for a non-photographer
to get a stock-quality image that will work well at the size you need.

I'm a member of an equine photographer's network. We get requests for
stock images which are distributed to several hundred photographers
and usually someone has a suitable image and the request is filled
within 1 day.

If you can better describe what type of image you need, you might get
some pointers for how to find stock photos of the type you need and in
the long run this will be both cheaper and faster than trying to get
the photo yourself. Or, just hire a photographer to take the photos
for you.

jc

kasterborus@yahoo.com

CNN_news wrote:
> How about the Digital Rebel XT?
>
> I see this has a scene mode and I may be able to upsample in Photoshop
> to the required dpi if it is not too extreme.

I think that the problem with your original question is that it can be
interpreted as "If I get a *really* expensive camera and just set it to
autopilot then can I take pictures as good as a trained and experienced
stock photographer?"

The answer to that is no.

However is you only want to take a picture of a static landscape scene,
then the "Auto" mode will probably give you a good result. I would
recommend putting the camera on a tripod - and using a cable release,
or learn how to set the timer to 2 seconds. So you can press the
shutter, take your hands away from the camera and then let it do it's
thing.

I think that you may also require someone to help you with Adobe
Photoshop - to bring out the very best in your image.

CNN_news

Yes. This is my question.

I need a high-resolution image (250-300 dpi) that will print a 11 x 17
image of the composition I need.

I have a designer that can work with a RAW file. I could buy photos
from Getty ($500 each) and they would not have the composition I need.

I'll print about 200k prints/year so I really don't want any glaring
mistakes.

These expensive cameras SHOULD have a 'green mode' because there will
be people who are just not pro photographers.