Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > KODAK DC4800 Navigation button problem

KODAK DC4800 Navigation button problem

Serial # 19781010

Hi,

I have a kodak DC4800 for almost 5 years. I take 5000 photos with it.
With no know reason (no shock), this week when I started it, the
navigationnal button (directionnal button with arrow on it) don't work
any more for all direction. I don't know if the problem is hardware or
software. The button mecanism still working very smootly like new.

I buy a new battery from Ebay a month ago. It a 1500mah li-ion For
Fuji NP-80 batterie. Cell from Japan Made in China. I use the camera a
few time only since then. So I suspect that may be the battery could
put it in this problem.

First, just for testing purpose, I try with my old battery, an old
memory card. It don't still don't work.

I spray air around the button. it's don't correct the problem. I also
spay an electronics part cleaner around the button with no success.

I could not think about a factory default reset but I could not reset
it because I could not navigate thru the menu to do it.

I could not do a firmware update for the same reason I could not
answer to confirm the firmware update from the camera menu. I try it
but could not pass thru the menu questions with no working
directionnal button.

I think for a silent mode firmware update but found nothing about how
to do this.

The camera is in a working condition but I could not change any
setting or view and delete photo, etc thru screen menu. I could use it
has it but I loose options I like to use.

Is someone had the same problem? Is someone know if it's a software or
a hardware problem?

Does someone know how to do a firmware update in silent mode (no
question - no answer just update) with parameters... I can map the
memory card with my pc with no problem. I could unchek the directories
and files read only checkbox but is reset by the camera (files and
readonly mode)...

I'm not shure that I want to spend on repair.. Does anyone know how
much it cost. I read $150 on a post done few years ago. Could you give
me more up to date cost.

I know there are some kodak support guys who follow theses posts. I
will appreciate your comments about this problem.

Louis Dinel