Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > any canon G3 owners in here?

any canon G3 owners in here?

joe mama

someone wants to practically give one away to me, and i wanted to see if
there are any examples of shots from them that anyone has uploaded
somewhere. i don't trust the photo review sites.

and what size is the largest "good" print you have gotten from it? i
wouldn't want (or expect) anything bigger than 11x14 from a 4mp camera, and
don't even know if they are capable of that. that size print would be a
portrait though, so i'd like it as sharp as possible.

thanks for any "first hand" accounts.

jean

Check on PBase (http://www.pbase.com) and search by camera make and model,
many pics to choose from.

Jean

"joe mama" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:v9XTf.3699$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> someone wants to practically give one away to me, and i wanted to see if
> there are any examples of shots from them that anyone has uploaded
> somewhere. i don't trust the photo review sites.
>
> and what size is the largest "good" print you have gotten from it? i
> wouldn't want (or expect) anything bigger than 11x14 from a 4mp camera,

and
> don't even know if they are capable of that. that size print would be a
> portrait though, so i'd like it as sharp as possible.
>
> thanks for any "first hand" accounts.

John McWilliams

joe mama wrote:
> someone wants to practically give one away to me, and i wanted to see if
> there are any examples of shots from them that anyone has uploaded
> somewhere. i don't trust the photo review sites.
>
> and what size is the largest "good" print you have gotten from it? i
> wouldn't want (or expect) anything bigger than 11x14 from a 4mp camera, and
> don't even know if they are capable of that. that size print would be a
> portrait though, so i'd like it as sharp as possible.

The G-3 was my first digital camera, and I still have it and use it when
I am not shooting sports or events. It's a fine camera, and as to 11 x
14, I've not printed that large off this camera, but it should be quite
decent.

--
John McWilliams

JC Dill

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:58:51 GMT, "joe mama" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>someone wants to practically give one away to me

If you don't want it, I'll take it!

My first digicam was a G1. I loved everything about that camera
except for the (common to P&S digicams) shutter delay. I'd love to
have one again as a snapshot camera for the times when I don't want to
lug the 1dMII around.

jc

Petri Lopia

On 2006-03-21, joe mama <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> someone wants to practically give one away to me, and i wanted to see if
> there are any examples of shots from them that anyone has uploaded
> somewhere. i don't trust the photo review sites.

These are not G3 photos but Canon PowerShot G5 photos:
http://www.petrilopia.net/testgal/

And what I know there is not much difference between G3 and G5 models.
Some peoples even say that G3 is better than G5.

--
Petri Lopia :: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
Firework, Lightning, sun, moon, nature etc. photos

ASAAR

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:58:51 GMT, joe mama wrote:

> someone wants to practically give one away to me, and i wanted to see if
> there are any examples of shots from them that anyone has uploaded
> somewhere. i don't trust the photo review sites.

Why not? Although I don't think Steve's Digicams has the best
reviews (I prefer dpreview), the test/example shots seem to be
authentic and from what I've seen fairly represent what the camera
is capable of producing. In any case, at a giveaway price, the G3
should make a very nice camera. If you're lucky, you won't even
need to add a new battery.

> and what size is the largest "good" print you have gotten from it? i
> wouldn't want (or expect) anything bigger than 11x14 from a 4mp
> camera, and don't even know if they are capable of that. that size print
> would be a portrait though, so i'd like it as sharp as possible.

Portraits are one type of photo where sharpness isn't really the
most critical factor. While I don't know what you'd pay for this
G3, it sounds as if you could sell it for a profit on eBay if you
find that it's insufficient for your needs. But it'll probably be
more than adequate.

phk

I have used a G3 for several years. I have a 20x24 landscape that I've
framed and is entirely acceptable, as well as a 17x21 interior church
picture with very detailed brick and pipe organ structure.

It's a wonderful camera, particularly the rotating monitor. Its only
downside is that if you install a wide angle adaptor, you have to use
the monitor for viewing and it's hard to see in sunlight - I have had
to occasionally throw a coat over my head to see what I'm taking.