Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Sensor Dust Control

Reply
Thread Tools

Canon Sensor Dust Control

 
 
Don
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2006
As the owner of a couple of Canon DSLR's I too like many others spend some
time (not a lot but certainly more than I would like) cleaning the sensor.
Noticed in one of the posts here (think it might have been Bill Hilton) that
a comment was made about leaving the 1.4 tele conv on when in dusty
situations as you only have to then clean its element as opposed to letting
in dust when changing lenses. Sounds like pretty good advice so the
logical(?) follow on would be why don't Canon make a non optical "dust lens"
just for that purpose. It would be like the extension tubes but with a high
quality glass element that did nothing but close of the opening? Comments
anyone

regards

--
Don From Down Under


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2006
How would it effect focus on some lenses, since its adding the extra
distance to the
sensor? AFAIK, only Sigma has a sealed body, they use an optical
window in the front
of the camera. I think. If there is no effect, perhaps some
enterprising person can start
to make some body sealing adapters for Canons?
-Rich

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2006
On 21 Mar 2006 04:00:44 -0800, "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How would it effect focus on some lenses, since its adding the extra
>distance to the
>sensor? AFAIK, only Sigma has a sealed body, they use an optical
>window in the front
>of the camera. I think. If there is no effect, perhaps some
>enterprising person can start
>to make some body sealing adapters for Canons?
>-Rich


Think bellows. Obviously, there will be an effect.
Dust just isn't that big a problem. It's mostly brought up as a "fear"
rather than a problem, by people who don't have DSLRs.
Even the OP doesn't complain much.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2006
> Don wrote ...
>
>As the owner of a couple of Canon DSLR's I too like many others spend some
>time (not a lot but certainly more than I would like) cleaning the sensor.
>Noticed in one of the posts here (think it might have been Bill Hilton) that
>a comment was made about leaving the 1.4 tele conv on when in dusty
>situations as you only have to then clean its element as opposed to letting
>in dust when changing lenses.


Hi Don, you probably saw this on my "digital photography on safari"
link but it was a special case where we were riding Rommel-like in open
safari vehicles in Africa and got literally covered in fine-grained
dust (formerly volcanic ash) when we'd stop the vehicle to shoot or
pass someone going the other direction (or flush a herd of wildebeests)
.... I did buy a second 1.4x to keep on the 1Ds backup body on the next
trip so I can switch between a 70-200 and a 300 f/4 without exposing
the sensor but this is an extreme boundary condition for me ... as I
mention in the link I had to clean sensors on three bodies twice a day
for the worst three days so it was a PITA but none of the images had
more than a few specs and all cloned out quickly ... here's the link
you read earlier ...
http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...afari.htm#dust

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
Don
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2006
Bill

thanks, will re-read

regards

Don
"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Don wrote ...
>>
>>As the owner of a couple of Canon DSLR's I too like many others spend some
>>time (not a lot but certainly more than I would like) cleaning the sensor.
>>Noticed in one of the posts here (think it might have been Bill Hilton)
>>that
>>a comment was made about leaving the 1.4 tele conv on when in dusty
>>situations as you only have to then clean its element as opposed to
>>letting
>>in dust when changing lenses.

>
> Hi Don, you probably saw this on my "digital photography on safari"
> link but it was a special case where we were riding Rommel-like in open
> safari vehicles in Africa and got literally covered in fine-grained
> dust (formerly volcanic ash) when we'd stop the vehicle to shoot or
> pass someone going the other direction (or flush a herd of wildebeests)
> ... I did buy a second 1.4x to keep on the 1Ds backup body on the next
> trip so I can switch between a 70-200 and a 300 f/4 without exposing
> the sensor but this is an extreme boundary condition for me ... as I
> mention in the link I had to clean sensors on three bodies twice a day
> for the worst three days so it was a PITA but none of the images had
> more than a few specs and all cloned out quickly ... here's the link
> you read earlier ...
> http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/ta...afari.htm#dust
>
> Bill
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
testing sensor dust removal features in Canon Rebel XTi (400D) Bill Hilton Digital Photography 6 10-13-2006 10:26 PM
Dust on sensor, Sensor Brush = hogwash solution? MeMe Digital Photography 29 02-12-2005 04:51 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: DUST TO DUST (POR LA LIBRE), HANGIN' WITH THE HOMEBOYS, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 02-26-2004 10:04 AM
sensor dust Andrew Digital Photography 3 09-30-2003 02:18 AM
Maybe I'm all wet, but I thought there was a new sensor that hasa piezo thingamagig to prevent dust Bay Area Dave Digital Photography 7 09-21-2003 12:16 AM



Advertisments