Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Editing - How can I get this effect?

Editing - How can I get this effect?

Win2Lin Lynn

Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the following
image:

http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif

Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?

(I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)

Thanks!

Joseph Meehan

Win2Lin Lynn wrote:
> Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
> as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the
> following image:
>
> http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
>
> Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
>
> (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)
>
> Thanks!

Go monochrome and then up the contrast, adjusting the brightness as you
go.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Skip M

"Win2Lin Lynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9789D4BE8788Dwin2linlynngmailcom@216.168.3 .50...
> Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
> as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the following
> image:
>
> http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
>
> Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
>
> (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)
>
> Thanks!

Here's one I tried, in PShop7.
Image/Adjustments/Posterize/Desaturate/Contrast. Worked the contrast until
it looked like the image you posted. But you could have figured that out,
too, just by experimentation.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

MarkČ

Win2Lin Lynn wrote:
> Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own* photos,
> as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in the
> following image:
>
> http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
>
> Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
>
> (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)

Finger paints...

Win2Lin Lynn

"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "Win2Lin Lynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9789D4BE8788Dwin2linlynngmailcom@216.168.3 .50...
>> Hello. I want to create a similar effect with one of *my own*
>> photos, as compared what was done to the photo of Elvis Presley in
>> the following image:
>>
>> http://i1.tinypic.com/rlwc9d.gif
>>
>> Any tips? Suggestions? What *not* to do?
>>
>> (I have Photoshop 7, Elements 3.0, and Gimp 2)
>>
>> Thanks!

> Here's one I tried, in PShop7.
> Image/Adjustments/Posterize/Desaturate/Contrast. Worked the contrast
> until it looked like the image you posted. But you could have figured
> that out, too, just by experimentation.

Thanks. I tried those adjustments, and it worked out nicely. But how do I
change the white section of the photo to the color of my choice?

Dave

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:01:35 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>Finger paints...

more probably the lowest number here; even & uneven)

Dave

Pat

You could always shoot film and make a Kodalith internegative. Ooops,
wrong group for that idea.

Randy Berbaum

In rec.photo.digital Win2Lin Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Thanks. I tried those adjustments, and it worked out nicely. But how
: do I change the white section of the photo to the color of my choice?

Two choices. Use the hue function (I don't have my copy of elements in
front of me so I am not sure of the correct menu name) to tint the entire
image the apropriate color. The black will remain black, but the white
would take on the color. Or you could use the paint bucket to drop the
color into the white sections. It will spread to all the congruent
(uninterrupted) areas of the same color as where you drop the paint. The
unchanged areas will be the ones that are completely surrounded by the
black areas. The text could be added in a seperate layer ontop of the
background (be sure to designate a transparent background) and can then be
colored seperately.

There is a third choice but could be a bit tricky and require lots of
manual fixing of errors. You could select all the white areas and cut them
out. Then placing a colored background under the original would give you a
colored background. The plus to this is you could have any kind of
background, even a rainbow hued one. The down side is that any inaccuracy
in trimming around the black lines would result in a white outline around
the black parts that would remain ontop of the colored background. And
trimming around any fine lines can be very finicky work.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

MarkČ

Dave wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:01:35 -0800, "MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

>> Finger paints...
>>

> more probably the lowest number here; even & uneven)

You mean your humor IQ?

madhobbit.geo@yahoo.com

Win2Lin Lynn wrote:

> Thanks. I tried those adjustments, and it worked out nicely. But how do I
> change the white section of the photo to the color of my choice?

A couple of options (using Photoshop 6), roughly in order of increasing
complexity:

- Use the flood fill tool. Set the tolerance to 255 and the mode to
Multiply. Whatever color you fill with will affect the entire image

- Add a fill layer on top of the image (Layer -> New Fill Layer ->
Solid Color). Change its blending mode to multiply. Alternately, you
can put the fill layer below the image, and change the image's layer to
multiply. Same effect either way.

- Use a gradient map (Image -> Adjust -> Gradient Map). Use a solid
gradient, smoothness 100%, with two control points, one at each
extreme. Set the left-hand control point to black, and the right-hand
control point to the color you want.

- Make the image a duotone. In PS 6, you have to convert it to
grayscale first (Image -> Mode -> Grayscale) then to duotone (Image ->
Mode -> Duotone). In the Duotone dialog, make sure the type is set to
Duotone. Change Ink 1 to Black, and Ink 2 to the color you want. Then
adjust the curves so that Ink 1 is 0% at 0 and 100% at 100, and Ink 2
is 100% at 0 and also 100% at 100.

Have fun,
- Darryl