Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Canon technology in 2007?

New Canon technology in 2007?

W (winhag)

Folks,

In the April '06 issue of Popular Photography on page 35 upper right,
the following statement is attributed to Canon in their 2007 plans:

"Canon Inc...plans to expand digital SLR exposure latitude and
brightness range to more closely resmble print-film latitude"

Seems to me this would require an entirely new sensor technology or
some type of multiple exposure/processing 'trick'. Has anyone heard
any more specifics about this?

SMS

W (winhag) wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In the April '06 issue of Popular Photography on page 35 upper right,
> the following statement is attributed to Canon in their 2007 plans:
>
> "Canon Inc...plans to expand digital SLR exposure latitude and
> brightness range to more closely resmble print-film latitude"

There was a rumor a while back that Canon was working on sensor that had
multiple photo detectors per pixel, i.e. along the lines of what Foveon
did. If this is what they are referring to, then no doubt Canon is being
very careful to not make the same mistakes as Foveon did with that sort
of technology.

Skip M

"W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Folks,
>
> In the April '06 issue of Popular Photography on page 35 upper right,
> the following statement is attributed to Canon in their 2007 plans:
>
> "Canon Inc...plans to expand digital SLR exposure latitude and
> brightness range to more closely resmble print-film latitude"
>
> Seems to me this would require an entirely new sensor technology or
> some type of multiple exposure/processing 'trick'. Has anyone heard
> any more specifics about this?

See this:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/25888...1D+replacement
According to this, Canon will introduce a sensor with triangular pixels
arranged into hexagons. Pure speculation, but meshes with what you said.
It was just posted to the DPReview 1D/1Ds/5D forum today...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

W (winhag)

Interesting. I don't see why this sensor arrangement wouldn't require
an anti-aliasing filter. I guess the idea of making some of the pixels
in effect less light sensitive via electronic means could make sense
(honestly, I don't know enough about the physics to know if this is
reasonable) although is the assumption that this would be done in real
time, somehow sensing if a pixel well is filling up getting near
capacity, there is some sort of electronic feedback reducing its
sensitivity in effect creating a knee or shoulder in sensitivity
curve?...hard to believe. Who knows, but to hear some words to the
effect of a major change coming from Canon directly, is certainly
interesting. It is hard to believe however that a such a significant
sensor advancement could be kept under wraps so well. We will see...

Skip M wrote:
> "W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Folks,
> >
> > In the April '06 issue of Popular Photography on page 35 upper right,
> > the following statement is attributed to Canon in their 2007 plans:
> >
> > "Canon Inc...plans to expand digital SLR exposure latitude and
> > brightness range to more closely resmble print-film latitude"
> >
> > Seems to me this would require an entirely new sensor technology or
> > some type of multiple exposure/processing 'trick'. Has anyone heard
> > any more specifics about this?

> See this:
> http://www.network54.com/Forum/25888...1D+replacement
> According to this, Canon will introduce a sensor with triangular pixels
> arranged into hexagons. Pure speculation, but meshes with what you said.
> It was just posted to the DPReview 1D/1Ds/5D forum today...
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

ASAAR

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:23:18 -0800, Skip M filled us in on the
latest buzz:

> See this:
> http://www.network54.com/Forum/25888...1D+replacement
> According to this, Canon will introduce a sensor with triangular pixels
> arranged into hexagons. Pure speculation, but meshes with what you said.
> It was just posted to the DPReview 1D/1Ds/5D forum today...

I wonder where Canon got the idea for that type of sensor? It
sounds like it will make a honey of a camera. It's the bees knees!

Skip M

"W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Interesting. I don't see why this sensor arrangement wouldn't require
> an anti-aliasing filter. I guess the idea of making some of the pixels
> in effect less light sensitive via electronic means could make sense
> (honestly, I don't know enough about the physics to know if this is
> reasonable) although is the assumption that this would be done in real
> time, somehow sensing if a pixel well is filling up getting near
> capacity, there is some sort of electronic feedback reducing its
> sensitivity in effect creating a knee or shoulder in sensitivity
> curve?...hard to believe. Who knows, but to hear some words to the
> effect of a major change coming from Canon directly, is certainly
> interesting. It is hard to believe however that a such a significant
> sensor advancement could be kept under wraps so well. We will see...

It could also explain why the 30D was such a disappointment, all the R&D
efforts were going into solving the quirks of this sensor arrangement.