Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Lens picture taking quality comparison question

Re: Lens picture taking quality comparison question

Joseph Meehan

Allan wrote:
> Zoom range and body type aside, which lens do you think has the better
> picture taking quality
>
> Panasonic FZ20
> Canon S2 IS
> Nikon D50 18-55 kit lens
> Canon Rebel XT 18-55 kit lens
> Nikon D70s 18-70mm kit lens
>
> cheers
>
> Allan

Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking quality."

Personally I like both apple and cherry pie.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Allan

" Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking quality.""

So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
element types and so on.

Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this not the
basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with Canon with Zeiss?

I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and could
give some kind of answer.

Allan

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ep%Rf.26057$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Allan wrote:
> > Zoom range and body type aside, which lens do you think has the better
> > picture taking quality
> >
> > Panasonic FZ20
> > Canon S2 IS
> > Nikon D50 18-55 kit lens
> > Canon Rebel XT 18-55 kit lens
> > Nikon D70s 18-70mm kit lens
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > Allan

> Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking

quality."

> Personally I like both apple and cherry pie.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

Bill Funk

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:51:02 -0500, "Allan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>" Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking quality.""
>
>So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
>element types and so on.
>
>Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this not the
>basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with Canon with Zeiss?
>
>I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and could
>give some kind of answer.
>
>Allan

Lots of people have experience with these lenses.
They produce pictures a *lot* of people consider pleasing.
There are some people who do not consider the pictures these lenses
produce to be pleasing.
You're specifically asking for subjective responses. That (the above)
is the absolute best you can expect in the way of subjective answers.

If you want more, check out the various review sites.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Joseph Meehan

Allan wrote:
>" Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking
>quality.""
>
> So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
> element types and so on.
>
> Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this
> not the basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with
> Canon with Zeiss?

Define "pleasing" and "sharp"

> I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and
> could give some kind of answer.

I am not trying to be funny or make life difficult for you, but my idea
of quality or sharp (it is more complex than you may think) or pleasing, is
not likely to be the same as yours. Everyone has an opinion and unless you
define the terms, all you get are opinions based on criteria that may be
different than yours.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Roy G

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ArjSf.26684$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Allan wrote:
>>" Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking
>>quality.""
>>
>> So, lets exclude - zoom range, mechanical construction, max apertures,
>> element types and so on.
>>
>> Does the lens produce a pleasing sharp picture? After all, is this
>> not the basis for discussion when comparing Leica with Nikon with
>> Canon with Zeiss?

> Define "pleasing" and "sharp"
>

>> I was just wondering if anyone had experience with these lenses and
>> could give some kind of answer.

> I am not trying to be funny or make life difficult for you, but my idea
> of quality or sharp (it is more complex than you may think) or pleasing,
> is not likely to be the same as yours. Everyone has an opinion and unless
> you define the terms, all you get are opinions based on criteria that may
> be different than yours.
>

>> Allan
>>

>> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Ep%Rf.26057$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Let's start off with your definition of "better picture taking
>>> quality."
>>>
>>> Personally I like both apple and cherry pie.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joseph Meehan
>>>
>>> Dia duit

> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

Hi all.

It is even worse than what has been stated so far.

It is like this, I only use one of those camera / lens combinations.

I think it produces superbly sharp images of a very high quality, and its
artistic ability is also quite good. I do not think any of the others, as
used by yourselves, are nearly as good when judged on any of those criteria.

Roy G