Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > upgrading from analog to digital - less wide-angle

upgrading from analog to digital - less wide-angle

kris.vandevijver@gmail.com

Hi, currently I still have a 'old' Nikon F301/N2000 analog slr. For
many years, I enjoyed this camera and I will probably keep it forever.

Still, I'm thinking of moving on towards a DSLR and of course, because
I could still use some of my lenses, I'm thinking of a Nikon D70. Read
some reviews, looked at some pictures and it's all very promising.
This way, I can choose between my old analog and my newer digital, so I
don't miss anything. Why would I move on to a D70. Well, that's pretty
obvious I guess: easy, because I don't have to run to the shop to get
my film developped, cheaper in the long run (no development costs),
better body with more possiblities, built-in flash, better
metering-system probably, no more time lost scanning all my negatives
and slides, etc.
But .... everything comes with a price... In this case, when I'm going
to use my old lenses, I'm going to loose a part of the wide-angle
capabilities. For example, my 24-85mm lens will be 'converted' to a
35-120mm lens when I connect it to a DSLR. Now that's a real shame,
because I like taking pictures at 24mm. I know, I could switch to the
analog body every time 24mm is desired, but I wonder why not more
DSLR-users are complaining about the lack of wide-angle?

/Kris

tlianza

The do complain about the lack of wide angle all the time. In your case you
could add the wide angle 12-24 DX lens from Nikon or one of the other
variants from Tokina or another third party vendor. The Nikon DX line is
quite extensive, 7 lenses, and it has been designed with the smaller sensor
in mind. I own a D100 and a D2X as well as a large number of analog bodies,
and I haven't found it a problem. When I went digital I purchased the
12-24mm DX Nikkor and the 17 to 55 f2.8 DX (that was a very expensive
lens....) . Those two lenses basically cover the bulk of the range that I
use when I travel. I also have the 70-200VR which works well on my F100. I
always bring the F100 along just incase of digital disaster. The F100 also
works on AA batteries which means you can basically get power anywhere.....
I have the 24-120VR as well, So basically 5 lenses and 3 bodies cover both
the analog and digital workflows that I use. Realistically speaking, the
D100 doesn't see much use these days...and the F100 sees even less, but they
are always along for the ride.

--
Tom Lianza
Director of Display and Capture Technologies

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi, currently I still have a 'old' Nikon F301/N2000 analog slr. For
> many years, I enjoyed this camera and I will probably keep it forever.
>
> Still, I'm thinking of moving on towards a DSLR and of course, because
> I could still use some of my lenses, I'm thinking of a Nikon D70. Read
> some reviews, looked at some pictures and it's all very promising.
> This way, I can choose between my old analog and my newer digital, so I
> don't miss anything. Why would I move on to a D70. Well, that's pretty
> obvious I guess: easy, because I don't have to run to the shop to get
> my film developped, cheaper in the long run (no development costs),
> better body with more possiblities, built-in flash, better
> metering-system probably, no more time lost scanning all my negatives
> and slides, etc.
> But .... everything comes with a price... In this case, when I'm going
> to use my old lenses, I'm going to loose a part of the wide-angle
> capabilities. For example, my 24-85mm lens will be 'converted' to a
> 35-120mm lens when I connect it to a DSLR. Now that's a real shame,
> because I like taking pictures at 24mm. I know, I could switch to the
> analog body every time 24mm is desired, but I wonder why not more
> DSLR-users are complaining about the lack of wide-angle?
>
> /Kris

Ian Tindale

> In this case, when I'm going
> to use my old lenses, I'm going to loose a part of the wide-angle
> capabilities.

When they get that old, some parts do become loose. It's generally not
a problem, but if it bothers you, take the offending item in to a
camera repairer to have it tightened up.

nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I wonder why not more
> DSLR-users are complaining about the lack of wide-angle?

It might be because there is no such lack?
But you shall add the price tag of one specific nikkor DX or sigma DC
wide lens to the one of the body.
There wasn't much choice in this area a few years ago, but plenty (or
at least sufficient) now.

You might also remark that this is great news if you lacked some tele
at the other end ;o).

mrsgator88

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> But .... everything comes with a price... In this case, when I'm going
> to use my old lenses, I'm going to loose a part of the wide-angle
> capabilities. For example, my 24-85mm lens will be 'converted' to a
> 35-120mm lens when I connect it to a DSLR. Now that's a real shame,
> because I like taking pictures at 24mm. I know, I could switch to the
> analog body every time 24mm is desired, but I wonder why not more
> DSLR-users are complaining about the lack of wide-angle?

We are complaining, but we're not getting far. I've got a nice (IMO) Canon
setup, with four nice lenses carefully chosen for the way I shoot. If I
went digital, I'd end up replacing all the lenses (probably even my 70-210).
For that kind of money, to basically start over, I'd consider the other
systems, including Oly (newer designs, not trying to leach off 35mm
equipment), Pentax (same sensor as Nikon and probably less expensive to
outfit), and Minolta (built-in antishake, Tokina and Tamron lenses still
available if Sony kills it off).

The other things I prefer about my Elan - the battery lasts FOREVER, true
"instant on" - the DSLR cameras are just starting to do. There are real
technological issues that make a full-frame sensor more expensive. You
can't just increase the size of the sensor, it also has to be able to accept
light rays that hit it at a sharper angle. To have such a sensor at a
consumer price point hasn't happened yet. By the time it is available at a
consumer price, it may be irrelevant if there's enough penetration of "crop
factor" bodies and lenses into the marketplace.

I expect that in a few years Canon will offer a full frame sensor camera
body similar to the Elan, at an "almost reasonable" price, to get laggards
like me on board their DSLR program. But by then I might have gone with a
new system. In the meantime, most of my "day-to-day" shooting is with a
digital P&S.

Products that succeed are not always the best at what they do, but rather
offer the right set of compromises. I think the jury is still out on DSLRs,
but the opinions on this newsgroup certainly show which way it's leaning.

Steve

John A. Stovall

On 15 Mar 2006 05:01:45 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

snipped

>But .... everything comes with a price... In this case, when I'm going
>to use my old lenses, I'm going to loose a part of the wide-angle
>capabilities. For example, my 24-85mm lens will be 'converted' to a
>35-120mm lens when I connect it to a DSLR. Now that's a real shame,
>because I like taking pictures at 24mm. I know, I could switch to the
>analog body every time 24mm is desired, but I wonder why not more
>DSLR-users are complaining about the lack of wide-angle?

Just get a Canon 5D all my wides are backing being wide.

Full Frame sensors don't have the problem you are describing.

"Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."

Tim Page in
"Dispatches"
by Michael Herr

Scott W

I have been complaining about it for sometime now. In fact when DSLRs
first came out I said I would not buy one until they had a full frame
one. It was the EF-S Lenses that finally convinced me to buy a 20D.
But there are a lot of lenses missing in that line up, like a wide
angle prime lens, say 12.5mm.

For now I get my extremely wide angle shoots by stitching photos, this
allows for some very wide angle shoots that would be hard to get with a
lens. As an example this photo has a horizontal field of view over 180
degrees.
http://www.sewcon.com/temp/pan12.jpg

The same shot with a 15mm rectilinear lens on a full frame 35mm camera
would look like this
http://www.sewcon.com/temp/pan12b.jpg

Still I would love to see a 12.5mm EF-S lens at some point in time.

Scott

Charles Gillen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I like taking pictures at 24mm. I wonder why not more
> DSLR-users are complaining about the lack of wide-angle?

On my Pentax DSLR I use a Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 semi-fisheye lens. Freeware can
"de-fish" the image to perfectly rectilinear. The Pentax DSLR 1.5 FOV factor
turns it into a nominal 24mm lens, but many say the FOV seems closer to 21mm.
It is sharp and a joy to use, if you like WIIIIDE.

Also available in Nikon mount:

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/z...sheye_lens.htm

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Just get a Canon 5D all my wides are backing being wide.
>
> Full Frame sensors don't have the problem you are describing.

On the other hand the 5D is not that good at wide angle, with current
lenses.
--

Alfred Molon

Ian Harding

SMS wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> But .... everything comes with a price... In this case, when I'm going
>> to use my old lenses, I'm going to loose a part of the wide-angle
>> capabilities. For example, my 24-85mm lens will be 'converted' to a
>> 35-120mm lens when I connect it to a DSLR. Now that's a real shame,
>> because I like taking pictures at 24mm. I know, I could switch to the
>> analog body every time 24mm is desired, but I wonder why not more
>> DSLR-users are complaining about the lack of wide-angle?

> Everyone complains about it.

I don't

My film SLR is a Praktika LTL. No one makes a DSLR with M42 mount, and
all but the Carl Zeiss 50/1.8 lens are so crappy I don't want to use
them anyway now I can afford something better. Buying a DSLR, I had no
choice but to start from scratch.

My kit is D70, 15mm FF fisheye, 18-70mm kit lens, 30mm, 50mm, and
80-200mm. Covers everything I want to do, and at a lower cost than the
full frame equivalents of those lenses.

Granted, if I had already owned a good set of lenses, I wouldn't be
happy and would have been facing at least one new purchase to keep the
wide end. However, I think there are a lot of people in my position who
owned an obsolete 35mm SLR or never owned one at all and are happy
because they couldn't care less about sensor size and can put together a
new set of lenses for less money.

Ian