Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS5 equipment - digital compatibility

Canon EOS5 equipment - digital compatibility

eadg

Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film camera
(EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).
Many thanks.

--
SR

nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr

eadg wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
> digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film camera
> (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).

The answer is already in the newsgroup : all canon bodies will accept
them.

However, the less expensive bodies (350d=XT, 20d, 30d), with a smaller
"APS-C" sensor, will make appear these lenses longer : the 28-105 will
seem as a 45-160, speaking about field of view. No more wide angle, a
bit more tele.
This will not happen on the more expensive bodies (5d, 1dsMkII) with a
"full-frame" 24x36mm sensor.

Skip M

"eadg" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c9SRf.1477$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
> digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film
> camera (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).
> Many thanks.
>
> --
> SR

Any of the Canon digital SLR cameras will take those lenses. But if you use
them on a current body, you may find the lens quality lacking. We found
that the 28-105 to be too soft on our 20Ds, a lens that up until then
enjoyed a reputation as a true bargain, one that gave great image quality at
a great price.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

piperut

Skip M wrote:
> "eadg" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c9SRf.1477$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
> > digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film
> > camera (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > --
> > SR
> >

> Any of the Canon digital SLR cameras will take those lenses. But if you use
> them on a current body, you may find the lens quality lacking. We found
> that the 28-105 to be too soft on our 20Ds, a lens that up until then
> enjoyed a reputation as a true bargain, one that gave great image quality at
> a great price.
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

As with anything else, let the buyer beware.
Some lenses work well on one camera body, and not another.

I had a 75-300mm F4 Canon lens that gave fairly good results on the
35mm Canon Rebel, but when I put it on the Canon Digital Rebel I was
not happy with the results. However, the same lens only the USM
version give fairly good results on the Digital Rebel.

I ended up purchasing an 8mm Peleng lens (Fisheye) for my digital
Rebel. This lens only works in an all manual mode, but the glass is
fairly nice, and gives good results on the camera.

I also have a nice tamron 28-75 lens, that I get nice results with.

The 18 - 55 that came with the kit. Some spots on it are nice, and
some spots on it are really soft. My wife likes to use it when she
uses the camera, I don't like to use it much, unless I am trying to
take something on a wide angle shot. The Tamron lens is a much better
lens.

My father had an old 500 mm F-8 FD mount lens, that I managed to find a
EOS mount for.
With the help of a friend who used to work in the jewlery business, we
managed to modify the lens so it works in an all manual mode on the
camera. However, I really have to use two tripods with that lens, one
on the camera, and one on the lens to keep from getting lens shake with
it. The glass on it is nice, but lens shake is a problem. I also have
no idea what brand of lens it is.

Some lenses do work nicer on a 35mm camera, and some work nicer on the
digital camera. Also, the digital media is closer to slide film, so if
you are not right on the exposure, your image will look soft.

roland

eadg

"piperut" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> [...]
> it.
>
> The next to worst problem I ran into was the 300mm lens that did not
> have a USM motor. It is an F4-F5.6 lens. or 3.5- 5.6. Something like
> that. I was fairly happy with the results on the 35mm. I had taken
> mostly hockey and other sports photos with it. I was over in Scotland
> and I took some photos of the Castle across Loch Ness. I was not happy
> with the results. The photo looked like it had camera shake.
>
> This could be from a number of factors.
>
> I am getting older, and perhaps my hands are not as steady as they used
> to be.
> Digital Cameras need to be held steadier than 35mm cameras do, or the
> photos show up with what looks like camera shake
> The fog in Scotland made the photo appear to have camera shake
>
> or a combination of all three factors.
>
> When I returned home, I went and took some photos of a hockey game, and
> I was not really happy with the results of those either from the lens
> that I had been taking good photos at the hockey games in the past with
> 35mm. They weren't as bad as the photos from Scotland from the same
> lens. I then went and bought a lens with the USM motor, and the camera
> shake went away for the most part.
>
> When I purchased the 8mm Peleng lens for my digital camera, Canon had
> not come out with a fisheye for the Digital Cameras. Canon now has an
> 8mm Fisheye lens that is fully automatic. It is a little more than
> twice what I paid for the Peleng lens. For fisheye and portrait photos
> I used to use a Kiev 88 (medium format) that used all manual lenses,
> and a light meter. So, I don't have problems putting the camera on
> manual and using it that way. If Canon had come out with their Fisheye
> lens before I purchased mine, I think I might have still gone with the
> all manual one, as the money difference doesn't justify how much I
> would use it.
>
> The lens that came with the kit is soft in spots, and other places it
> is okay. I have Fixed lens that goes on the 35mm Rebel if I want a
> fixed lens also. I mostly use it if I want a wide angle shot that is
> not a fisheye shot.
>
> The lenses work, just some of them better than others. The end result
> is you get what you want and can afford. Sometimes you can still find
> a Digital Rebel Body, it is a little larger than the Digital Rebel XT,
> but only 6.3 megapixal. The XT is a bit smaller, and has 8 megapixals.
> Some men with larger hands have commented that they have trouble
> holding onto the body of the XT. I think it is the 20D or 5D or 10D
> that is considered the "Professional Model" That one is more money,
> and has more functions. I couldn't afford that one.
> I bought the Digital Rebel about three years ago now.
>
> I would like to get the battery grip for the Digital Rebel, but they no
> longer make it. They do make a battery grip for the XT.
> So, get what you can afford, and what you like. It will be obsolete in

Thanks for such an informed reply. Unfortunately I have no Jeweller friends
so 'manual' adjustment of the lenses is a non starter, perish the thought!
Obviously, apart from a Kodak digital compact I have for snapshots, I have
no experience of comparing shots with film vs digital with regard to camera
shake but as I'm no spring chicken myself I invariably carry a monopod
around, cunningly disguised as a hiking pole.

--
SR

Bill Funk

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 17:32:05 GMT, "eadg" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>
>> eadg wrote:
>>> Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
>>> digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film
>>> camera
>>> (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).

>> The answer is already in the newsgroup : all canon bodies will accept
>> them.

>I wasn't sure what criteria to use in the search box, plus I was hoping for
>an up to date reply with regard to any new bodies that may be available.
>Thanks for the answer anyway.
>

>> However, the less expensive bodies (350d=XT, 20d, 30d), with a smaller
>> "APS-C" sensor, will make appear these lenses longer : the 28-105 will
>> seem as a 45-160, speaking about field of view. No more wide angle, a
>> bit more tele.
>> This will not happen on the more expensive bodies (5d, 1dsMkII) with a
>> "full-frame" 24x36mm sensor.

>Will the 75-300 lens increase proportionately as well?

Yes. A 1.6x crop factor, no matter which EF-mount lens is used.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

SMS

eadg wrote:
> Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
> digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film camera
> (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).
> Many thanks.

You really should buy the EOS-5D, as it's the natural successor to the
EOS-5QD.

For those unfamiliar with the EOS-5QD, it's an A2E with a dateback
(never available on the A2E), and without the de-featured firmware of
the U.S. A2E version.

Skip M

"eadg" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RlYRf.1752$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "eadg" <don'(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:c9SRf.1477$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
>>> digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film
>>> camera (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).
>>> Many thanks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> SR
>>>

>> Any of the Canon digital SLR cameras will take those lenses. But if you
>> use them on a current body, you may find the lens quality lacking. We
>> found that the 28-105 to be too soft on our 20Ds, a lens that up until
>> then enjoyed a reputation as a true bargain, one that gave great image
>> quality at a great price.
>>
>> --
>> Skip Middleton
>> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> Thanks. Is this disparity between film/digital lenses a common factor
> among other well known makes?
>
> --
> SR

Well, yes and no. I'm not hearing as much about it from, for instance,
Nikon, but Nikon has a line of specifically digital lenses that is more
extensive than Canon's, so that might be a factor. But as cameras get past
the 6mp range, older lenses, especially less than top notch ones, tend to
suffer. I was surprised at the 28-105, it was so good on film, but we
thought there was something wrong with our 20Ds when we tried it on one of
them. Too, we found out later, that lower grade filters affect the image
more on digital than on film, and that may have been a factor. But our
100-300 doesn't work that well, either, and it's similar, if a slightly
better, optically, to the 75-300.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

eadg

"SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44188b74$0$95929$(E-Mail Removed)...
> eadg wrote:
>> Hi, I'm looking for advice/recommendations as to whether I can obtain a
>> digital camera body that will accept the lenses off my EOS5 35mm film
>> camera (EF 28-105 and EF 75-300).
>> Many thanks.

> You really should buy the EOS-5D, as it's the natural successor to the
> EOS-5QD.
>
> For those unfamiliar with the EOS-5QD, it's an A2E with a dateback (never
> available on the A2E), and without the de-featured firmware of the U.S.
> A2E version.

Thanks for your input, I'm now starting the long trawl through available
models in search of what will suit best.

--
SR

piperut

eadg wrote:
> [...]
> > that is considered the "Professional Model" That one is more money,
> > and has more functions. I couldn't afford that one.
> > I bought the Digital Rebel about three years ago now.
> >
> > I would like to get the battery grip for the Digital Rebel, but they no
> > longer make it. They do make a battery grip for the XT.
> > So, get what you can afford, and what you like. It will be obsolete in
> > about 3 years.
> >
> > roland

> Thanks for such an informed reply. Unfortunately I have no Jeweller friends
> so 'manual' adjustment of the lenses is a non starter, perish the thought!
> Obviously, apart from a Kodak digital compact I have for snapshots, I have
> no experience of comparing shots with film vs digital with regard to camera
> shake but as I'm no spring chicken myself I invariably carry a monopod
> around, cunningly disguised as a hiking pole.

The EOS lens work fine for the most part. Some of them better then
others. I did run into trouble at the longer focal length on a
mechinical motor driven 75-300 lens. The USM 75-300 seems to work
okay.

It is possible to modify the old, old FD mount lens if you are a bit
nuts, and can find an EOS mount without a lens attached. Okay, it was
a challenge to prove it could be done.
(With a 1.6 factor... I have nothing I really want to shoot with a
500mm lens.)

hmm, monopod as a walking stick... that is a thought.

roland