Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 24 - 70 or 24 -105 for weddings

24 - 70 or 24 -105 for weddings

Don

Folks

Bit of a dilemma. Currently shooting the odd wedding with a 28 - 135 IS
canon lens on a 1D mk11n along with a 70 - 200 F4 L and a 17 - 40 F4 L.
Not happy with the 28 in comparison to the other two lenses used for
weddings so am pondering on the 24 - 70 2.8 L (non IS) or the 24 - 105 IS L
F4. Can only afford one of the two and am leaning to the 24 - 70 for the
bokeh and ability to narrow the DOF. I like external portraits that show
good bokeh and blurred background etc. Use a number of on and off camera
flashes when necessary. Any views welcome. Have read as many reviews on
the web as I could find including such sites as luminous landscape etc.

regards

--
Don From Down Under

Bill Hilton

> Don writes ...
>
>Currently shooting the odd wedding with a 28 - 135 IS
>canon lens on a 1D mk11n along with a 70 - 200 F4 L
>and a 17 - 40 F4 L. Not happy with the 28 in comparison
>to the other two lenses used for weddings so am pondering
>on the 24 - 70 2.8 L (non IS) or the 24 - 105 IS L F4. Can
>only afford one of the two and am leaning to the 24 - 70 for
>the bokeh and ability to narrow the DOF.

I have the older 28-70 f/2.8 L (not 24-70 but close) and a few months
ago I bought the 24-105 f/4 L IS, mainly to take on a safari to Africa
where I thought the greater focal range and IS would be very useful ...
all I can say is that I like the 24-105 much better and am selling off
the 28-70 soon. I like it better because of the extra focal length and
because IS is so handy, even in a relatively short lens. Both are fine
optically.

>I like external portraits that show
>good bokeh and blurred background etc.

Ah, so it boils down to the extra f/stop ... I'm not so sure that at
105 mm f/4 you wouldn't get about the same blur as you would at 70 mm
f/2.8 ... I would personally use an 85 mm f/1.8 for the blurred
background, I don't think at 70 mm and f/2.8 you'll get enough of a
blur unless the background is well back from the main subject, though I
could be wrong. You lose the zoom but the 85 f/1.8 is a relatively
inexpensive lens with good optics. We've done entire trips to Mexico
where all we took was this and a 35 mm f/2, where we had to travel
light and be inconspicuous.

Bill

Eatmorepies

> I have both these lenses and they are both excellent. There appear to be
> only two reasons for needing f2.8, to get less DOF and to use a higher
> shutter speed on moving objects. I assume the second rarely applies at
> weddings. I used to have a book givinf table s of DOF at various focal
> lengths and apetures - I no longer have it but I bet there's a chart on
> the net somewhere.

There's one here http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

It suggests that the DOF of a 70mm at f2.8 is very similar to an 85mm at
f4. The 24 - 105 can do the DOF job you probably need for weddings.

John

Don

Thanks guys.

Looks like it will be the 105