Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > plz help me to choose a FAST flatbed SCANNER (I'm interested in A4 size grayscale 300 dpi scanning)

plz help me to choose a FAST flatbed SCANNER (I'm interested in A4 size grayscale 300 dpi scanning)

my.address.is.nice@gmail.com

I need an A4/Letter size flatbed scanner which is very fast in
scanning in grayscale at 300 dpi. I would find it great to scan an A4
page (grayscale 300 dpi) in, say, less than 5 seconds.
I'm not interested in color scanning, and I'd like not to spend too
much money.
Can somebody suggest me some scanner fulfilling my needs?

Thank you very much.
Bye.

My e-mail is:
my.address.is.nice followed by an @ and then gmail.com
(" followed by an @ and then " is not part of the address; but @ is, of
course)

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> I need an A4/Letter size flatbed scanner which is very fast in
> scanning in grayscale at 300 dpi. I would find it great to scan an A4
> page (grayscale 300 dpi) in, say, less than 5 seconds.
> I'm not interested in color scanning, and I'd like not to spend too
> much money.
> Can somebody suggest me some scanner fulfilling my needs?
>
> Thank you very much.
> Bye.
>
> My e-mail is:
> my.address.is.nice followed by an @ and then gmail.com
> (" followed by an @ and then " is not part of the address; but @ is, of
> course)

Fast scanning also depends on the speed of the CPU. If the scanner uses
USB or Firewire. Check out these options first.

budgie

On 13 Mar 2006 15:13:39 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I need an A4/Letter size flatbed scanner which is very fast in
>scanning in grayscale at 300 dpi. I would find it great to scan an A4
>page (grayscale 300 dpi) in, say, less than 5 seconds.
> I'm not interested in color scanning, and I'd like not to spend too
>much money.
> Can somebody suggest me some scanner fulfilling my needs?

IMOE the sort of data rate that would meet your 5 second target requires either
USB2 or the Firewire equivalent. It also requires a fairly decent processor in
your pea-sea or the scanner will pause numerous times during the scan.

I personally use an old Canon N670 series (USB1.1) on a P3-666, which suits my
needs but reinforces the above. If I ever needed another scanner, it would be
Canon.

Danny

are you intending to scan documents? if there's an ADF capable of
feeding very reliably as well as quickly, would you still really need a
flatbed for anything?

The range documents that the ADF I'm thinking of can handle with no
problems is anthing from NCR (like rice paper) to embossed cards (i.e.
credit cards).

Danny

my.address.is.nice@gmail.com

My computer is a good one, with a good processor. I have USB2, but I'm
afraid I don't have Firewire (anyway, I could buy expansion cards).
Thank you for your answer.

my.address.is.nice@gmail.com

I do need a flatbed, since I have to handle bound books.
(But unfortunately I can't afford scanners like this...
http://www.kirtas-tech.com/apt_2400.asp - watch the video!)
Bye.

Paul Rubin

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> I do need a flatbed, since I have to handle bound books.
> (But unfortunately I can't afford scanners like this...

There's an Epson (?) scanner which isn't too expensive and whose glass
goes right up to the edge for scanning bound books. You can also use
a digicam, with not-as-good-as-a-scanner results.

my.address.is.nice@gmail.com

I've heard of the scanner whose glass goes right up to the edge... But
I don't find that feature so interesting.
I just want speed!

Paul Rubin

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> I've heard of the scanner whose glass goes right up to the edge... But
> I don't find that feature so interesting.
> I just want speed!

Scanners without that feature have trouble scanning near the center of
the book. If you want speed, use a camera, or chop the spine off the
book and use a sheet fed scanner.

my.address.is.nice@gmail.com

> Scanners without that feature have trouble scanning near the center of
> the book.

Yes, I know... But, for most books, a normal flatbed is ok.

> If you want speed, use a camera, or chop the spine off the
> book and use a sheet fed scanner.

I'm asking info on flatbed scanners, not on cameras or on smashing
books.